SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry. - Page 13

SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

This is a discussion on SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Cold Steel Ti-lite Titanium An Emerson Combat Kirambit Both good choices! Those are outstanding SD knives. And if you'll permit me, a brief rant: ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

A Cold Steel Ti-lite Titanium
    An Emerson Combat Kirambit
    Both good choices! Those are outstanding SD knives.

And if you'll permit me, a brief rant: Not every handgun has to be a Glock. Not every flashlight has to be a Surefire. And not every knife has to be a Spyderco. These will always be "safe" buys because you'll get mad props on the Internet and the masses will always agree with you.

But if you are trained and commit to research, you can find equal or better options, often at lower cost. The Cold Steel Ti-Lites (both 4 and 6-in.) are very arguably some of the best general SD knives on the market. They can be modified to be even better.

The Emerson Kerambits are more specialized, but if you have any experience with Silat or Escrima, then you can deploy this kind of blade in combination with your H2H combatives to devastating effect. I carry a kerambit in a side holster or the 6" Ti Lite for SD, and for general EDC the Graham Razel is proving to be a very useful tool.

Something to consider when choosing a SD knife are the statistics on CCW handguns. Over 99 percent of self-defensive uses of handguns do not involve discharging the firearm. In a similar manner, a knife can be a powerful deterrent to a criminal and its presentation may be enough to avert attack. Just as people try to avoid being shot, nobody looks forward to a knife fight.

So there's always a benefit to a good fighting knife that has a forceful presentation. A balisong opening or a sharp "snap" of a folder locking are the kind of thing that tells the opponent to back off. I wouldn't count on it, so I train often and hard, but I still hope that if I have to draw, there's still a chance to avoid use.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Coz
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Both good choices! Those are outstanding SD knives.

And if you'll permit me, a brief rant: Not every handgun has to be a Glock. Not every flashlight has to be a Surefire. And not every knife has to be a Spyderco. These will always be "safe" buys because you'll get mad props on the Internet and the masses will always agree with you.

But if you are trained and commit to research, you can find equal or better options, often at lower cost. The Cold Steel Ti-Lites (both 4 and 6-in.) are very arguably some of the best general SD knives on the market. They can be modified to be even better.

The Emerson Kerambits are more specialized, but if you have any experience with Silat or Escrima, then you can deploy this kind of blade in combination with your H2H combatives to devastating effect. I carry a kerambit in a side holster or the 6" Ti Lite for SD, and for general EDC the Graham Razel is proving to be a very useful tool.

Something to consider when choosing a SD knife are the statistics on CCW handguns. Over 99 percent of self-defensive uses of handguns do not involve discharging the firearm. In a similar manner, a knife can be a powerful deterrent to a criminal and its presentation may be enough to avert attack. Just as people try to avoid being shot, nobody looks forward to a knife fight.

So there's always a benefit to a good fighting knife that has a forceful presentation. A balisong opening or a sharp "snap" of a folder locking are the kind of thing that tells the opponent to back off. I wouldn't count on it, so I train often and hard, but I still hope that if I have to draw, there's still a chance to avoid use.
    Well said. I only wish double edged knives were legal to carry in Texas, I'd carry a double-edge Safemaker I or II.
    The Karambit is a knife one must practice deploying properly. I have a plastic practice karambit that I try to spend some time with weekly

Cheers
    "He who hesitates is lost"

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    I only wish double edged knives were legal to carry in Texas...
    I hear you on that one, man!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I have a few different ones on rotation, but most likely it will be a Chris Reeve Small Micarta Sebenza or a RAT Cutlery Izula. These are my two favorite, but I have many others, Strider being one of my favorites.

I've sold and bought the same knives a few times. I really enjoy that little Izula and fixed blades are legally concealed here in Texas.
    I never heard of an Izula knife before but I like the looks of it. I looked it up and found a video of a guy cutting a 2x4 in half in about 5 minutes and then when he's done, he tests it for sharpness by shaving the hair off of his arm!

Unbelievable!

I carry a Benchmade AXIS Mel Pardue, partially serrated. Use use it for everything.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Distinguished Member
    Ka-Bar TDI, small, law enforcement model. It's on my weak side hip everyday.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

just ordered a spyderco tasman salt.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e4dan View Post
    I carry a Benchmade AXIS Mel Pardue, partially serrated. Use use it for everything.
    I really want a Benchmade Griptilian with AXIS; that will probably be my next knife and I plan on using it as my EDC.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Sponsored Links