SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry. - Page 7

SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

This is a discussion on SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My camping/woods knife is a KaBar Utility/Fighter. Not a EDC knife, but it is a folder the Schrade Outback. Yep, keeping it oldschool....

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

My camping/woods knife is a KaBar Utility/Fighter.

Not a EDC knife, but it is a folder the Schrade Outback.

Yep, keeping it oldschool.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

got some new knives in, sog aegis, visionary, flash 2 rescue, some multi tools, good stuff.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Wow, really? This probably isn't a great post to build my popularity here as a new member, but I've honestly gotta pull the Mall Ninja flag on a good number of these posts.

Really not trying to flame any single individual. Just trying to give some perspective and maybe save someone's life. So if this applies to you, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'm not against carrying a good quality knife as a utility tool. My dad taught me that a gentleman always has a good blade handy. But we're talking more than just cutting string and prying here. This is a defensive forum.

I really hope some of you are taking your knife carrying as seriously as you do your pistols, i.e. with serious training. Granted, if you happen to be quicker than the other guy, it doesn't take a genius to stab someone. But in a nation of 300 million or so folks, that playing a pretty big lottery with your skills.

Really not trying to say anything about myself [I've simply been afforded some opportunities in the military], but just to give some perspective here, I'm a paid professional at this: I literally found a way to get paid to practice this stuff, and I can tell you that the last place I want to be is relegated to using a blade for my life. Let me tell you a story:

We had a member of Force Recon come out to do some training for us once. He is a special operator and was behind enemy lines in Iraq around the invasion timeframe, la dee da dee da, etc. He had gone through all kinds of crazy training, had a $300 custom Benchmade. And you know what he used it for? Opening MREs. That's right. He used his M4 and his Kimber for all of his CQB because even he said he would never want to get in that kind of situation.

Another story:
    In the battle of Fallujah (2nd) some guys from Kilo Co were in some ridiculous CQB, clearing houses, etc. They got in close. Hand to hand. Not a single guy used a folding knife in that situation. Every blade kill was performed with either a Ka-bar or the new bayonet (OKC3S).

So, if you go to a knife fight, bring a blade that is engineered to pierce the aorta from the bottom of the ribs and has a blade strong enough to break ribs if necessary. (I realize, of course, that this isn't practical for edc, but just making a point.)

If you want a decent combat folder, go with something that will keep your hand from slipping forward onto the blade, e.g. the CRKT M-16s or something with a hand guard. As an LEO a surefire way to identify a stabbing perp is that his hands are all cut up. Blood makes the handle very slick and it slides up onto the blade.

If you're allowed to, the Benchmade 9100 isn't a bad choice for a tool, and a lot of guys in the military have them. I had one. It worked great for opening MREs. But I wouldn't use it for a fighting blade. The Gerber 06 series is a better choice (Again, if allowed in your state). Mine's an auto (issued in Iraq), but I believe there's a "fast" version that is manual.

And please, again, SERIOUSLY!!!!, if you are going to consider using any sort of blade as a weapon, PLEASE, get some professional training. You will have to resolve yourself to the fact that in any knife fight you are going to get cut. Accept this. And then decide where it will be, get cut there one time as you defend against your opponent's strike and simultaneously counter with a single lethal movement. Practice at home with chalk-blades and white T-shirts, or even kitchen spatulas. You'll soon realize this is nothing to be taken lightly. But with training, you MIGHT be able to walk away with only minor injuries.

Again, I'm not against carrying a knife, even for a last-ditch defensive measure, but it seems a lot of folks are buying Porsches when they haven't mastered a big-wheel, and thinking they'll carve a turkey with a penknife.

Really not trying to stir up trouble. Just want folks to think about how serious this is. It's not a joke. It's your life.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You can walk in to a few different shops here in South Texas and buy one with none of those things. I've had a few different autos from Benchmade and Microtech..
    Just so you know it is illegal to own or posses a auto in any way shape or form in Texas. The people that are selling them are in direct violation of the law. There are very few exceptions. As Leo I have owned a few and I have always went back to my Spydercos and Benchmades.

46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS.
    (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (1) an explosive weapon;
    (2) a machine gun;
    (3) a short-barrel firearm;
    (4) a firearm silencer;
    (5) a switchblade knife;
    (6) knuckles;
    (7) armor-piercing ammunition;
    (8) a chemical dispensing device; or
    (9) a zip gun.
    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional facility.
    (c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as amended.
    (d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
    (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio; or
    (2) was incidental to dealing with armor-piercing ammunition solely for the purpose of making the ammunition available to an organization, agency, or institution listed in Subsection (b).
    (e) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (f) It is a defense to prosecution under this section for the possession of a chemical dispensing device that the actor holds a security officer commission issued by the Texas Commission on Private Security and has received training on the use of the chemical dispensing device by a training program that is:
    (1) provided by the Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education; or
    (2) approved for the purposes described by this subsection by the Texas Commission on Private Security.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Hardcorps, this thread is to help people get an idea what is out there for EDC use for chores not necessarily all about defense. There are a few threads on here about knife training and the such. I agree that you MUST train with anything you carry as a weapon. I also say that most EDC knives are not used in war zones, mainly daily chores because there are more people here that are not in hot spots than in. Thank you for your service to our country, if you are interested look up the KNIFE TRAINING thread. But I as well would not want to use a knife to defend my life or a gun or anything I don't want to be in that situation, but sometimes all you got is your blade, or in most cases here 2 or 3 lol

ASHTXSNIPER,

I'm not a fan of autos, but I can name 2 shops in Corpus Christi (one is now closed, I believe) that sell Microtech, Lone Wolf and Benchmade autos. I've owned a few of them, but always sell them off. The LEO friends of mine have all said it's fine to own and keep in your home, but never to carry them.

Now, I've also been told by a Corpus LEO that it's illegal to carry (with a valid CHL) inside of any convenience store or gas station. So, I take what they say with a grain of salt.

I'm not trying to dispute the law in any way, I'm just relaying my experience and what I've seen. Luckily, I'm a Strider, Chris Reeve, Hinderer, RAT kind of guy, so I don't much worry about the autos.

HardCorps79

I agree with what you are saying. A lot of guys though carry their knives as a tool and really don't think of it as a defensive weapon. I have a personal trainer that is a master (? i don't know what you call him, but he has a studio where he trains others) in Eskrima and Kali (I think). So, we've spent some time working on it..

But, I usually carry a Chris Reeve Sebenza, an Izula and occasionally a William Henry B10. I don't really look at these as defensive tools. I carry them to have a tool on me for whatever may come up.

Now, if one chooses to carry a knife for defensive purposes, I think it's imperative to have proper training. But, I also think it's alright if a person chooses to carry a knife for no other reason than to open boxes. Just like I also believe, but would not do myself, that it's alright for a person to purchase a firearm for target or hunting with absolutely no intention on using it for self defense. The key thing is if you choose to carry any weapon for defensive purposes, that you seek proper training in the use of that weapon. Not only for one's own sake, but for the sake of everyone else that would be around them in that situation.

Happy Holidays!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

AASF & Jon-
    That's basically my point. Carrying a knife as a handy tool is one thing, carrying for self-defense is another. And granted, any useful tool can probably improvised and used for self-defense as a last ditch. I just want to make people think about whether what their carrying is a tool or a weapon, and if it's the latter that they are adequately prepared. I could use my rifle to dig a ditch, but I'd prefer a shovel. Likewise, I can use my e-tool pretty effectively as a weapon, but I'd rather have something more purpose-built. The weapon you carry is always better than the one left at home.

Glad to see that many on here DO take it seriously and have participated in some formal training.

Semper Fi
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Here's what we carry

Just arrived today...

1660 Pink Leek

Christmas present for my Sister...

this thing is wicked sharp

Knives

I don't know anything about knives except the Gerber junior that I have and the Buck 3" folding knife but I know that if something happened and I had to use a knife I would want a fixed blade unless I had the time to open one. The new folding knives might be easy to open but if I was on the ground and some big guy was beating on me I know I don't want to be trying to open my knife. I have seen some very nice folding knives for using as a tool but for defense I want a fixed blade...
    Last edited by Keithmj; December 23rd, 2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithmj View Post
    I don't know anything about knives except the Gerber junior that I have and the Buck 3" folding knife but I know that if something happened and I had to use a knife I would want a fixed blade unless I had the time to open one. The new folding knives might be easy to open but if I was on the ground and an some big guy was beating on me I know I don't want to be trying to open my knife. I have seen some very nice folding knives for using as a tool but for defense I want a fixed blade...
    Hear, hear! Well said, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Keithmj View Post
    I don't know anything about knives except the Gerber junior that I have and the Buck 3" folding knife but I know that if something happened and I had to use a knife I would want a fixed blade unless I had the time to open one. The new folding knives might be easy to open but if I was on the ground and some big guy was beating on me I know I don't want to be trying to open my knife. I have seen some very nice folding knives for using as a tool but for defense I want a fixed blade...
    Carry a fixed blade in some states... your behind is behind bars CCW or not.

NEXT

Cold Steel Recon 1. This is the best folder I've found for lefties - it is designed for truly ambidextrous blade opening; also, you can move the belt clip to either side of the handle, so it works great for IWB carry for LH. The tension can be adjusted; and, it sharpens up nice and holds an edge.
    Jackpine

At home EDC

At work and play EDC

Jack, I too have a recon 1 and matching scars on my middle fingers from closing it lol, If you decide you want a little lighter blade good for lefties check out anything with an axis lock or similar, I have a SOG Pentagon Elite 1, I carry it lefty. Here are some others to try

SOG Pent. Elite 2
    Spec Elite 1 and 2
    Visionary 1 and 2
    Xray Vision and Mini Xray Vision
    Spyderco Delica 4
    Endura 4
    (any other spydercos with ambi clip)

If you look for a knife for your left handed style lock back with a hole for opening or ambi stud will work well too. Just some suggestions if you want to add to your collection.

I switch what I carry based on where I am going and how I am dressed.

Basic EDC:
    Benchmade Griptilian (SD) and Kershaw Chive (Utility Folder), Boker Assisted Open in Jumbo Versapack.

Night out:
    Lupa Lupa Corto (SD) and small Buck folder (Utility Blade)

Weekend or in Field:
    Bram Frank Abaniko 5" Fixed Blade (SD) and Gerber Profile Fixed Blade (Utility) plus Lupa Lupa Corto or Griptilian in back pocket.

I love my knives as much as my guns.

NewToyssm.gif
    EDC

BF-Fixed.jpg
    Abaniko 5"

LupaLupa-ToolSet-001sm.jpg
    Lupa Lupa Corto Set
    ThrillSeeker
    GSSF Member Certified Glock Armorer
    "Let your greatest action be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Http://littlebearholsters.com

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast