Brass knuckes vs Knife

Brass knuckes vs Knife

This is a discussion on Brass knuckes vs Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Phx Az, A buddy of mine is facing serious time because he punched someone repeatedly trying to hurt him with brass knuckles ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brass knuckes vs Knife

Blkkato

Brass knuckes vs Knife

I live in Phx Az, A buddy of mine is facing serious time because he punched someone repeatedly trying to hurt him with brass knuckles now he's facing 5 years, while I on the other hand stabed someone when 2 guys tried to shake me down in a dark crowded parking lot. 2 guys approached me I sensed something was wrong and I un - hooked my very sharp generic gravity knife that I purchased at the local truck stop and sliced the closest guy to me twice. They both ran, I reported it and got in no trouble at all. My friend who used the brass knuckels didn't kill anyone and he was defending himself also but he is facing time.

In Texas both weapons are illegal and both would be trouble.

I do not know what would be the punishment for using these weapons in a real self defense event.

IMO, sounds to me as tho both you and your friend need to change where you go, and who you hang out with.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Brass knucles are not legal in Mississippi. Most states (local ordinances) have more knife laws than gun laws. Check out HandgunUS knife link.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If you are inclined to do so, post the places where these occurred so I can make sure I don't go anywhere close to there.

Regards,
    Jerry

Blkkato
    Since you're being clever, my friend was in a night club parking lot and I was getting off work at my part - time job at the time which was in a Greyhound racing track parking lot. Both incidents happened at 2 in the morning.

I'd be interested to know any state that brass knuckles are legal.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Blkkato
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I'd be interested to know any state that brass knuckles are legal.
    I never said it was legal to have "BK" I was only trying to point out that the law allows me to stab someone in self defense but not allow someone to use "BK'.

Quote Originally Posted by Blkkato View Post
    I never said it was legal to have "BK" I was only trying to point out that the law allows me to stab someone in self defense but not allow someone to use "BK'.
    And I was pointing out that Knuck's are illegal, and perhaps you should choose better friends.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blkkato View Post
    I live in Phx Az, A buddy of mine is facing serious time because he punched someone repeatedly trying to hurt him with brass knuckles now he's facing 5 years, while I on the other hand stabed someone when 2 guys tried to shake me down in a dark crowded parking lot. 2 guys approached me I sensed something was wrong and I un - hooked my very sharp generic gravity knife that I purchased at the local truck stop and sliced the closest guy to me twice. They both ran, I reported it and got in no trouble at all. My friend who used the brass knuckels didn't kill anyone and he was defending himself also but he is facing time.
    It pays to know the law. Your friend made a very poor decision to carry an unlawful weapon, and that decision has consequences.

Sucks to be him, but it's his fault.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Some states issue concealed weapons permits instead of handgun permits.
    I don't know, but I suspect that even in such states that issue CWP, e.g., Florida, brass knuckles are illegal; and the type of knife you described may well be illegal too.

What I don't understand is why you two would carry illegal weapons when in AZ you could easily OC? Were you both too young to OC at the time this happened? Couldn't afford guns? Was OC not practical or legal for the circumstances?

Most folks go a lifetime without ever getting into a fight where weapons are involved. Are you sure both of you weren't looking for trouble to find you?

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Well, if one was an illegal weapon and the other wasn't, that seems pretty straightforward to me.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Interesting, in VA possession of brass knuckles is a Class 4 Misdemeanor but concealing them is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

Of course using a banned item in a fight doesn't look good no matter how righteous you are.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Blkkato
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Some states issue concealed weapons permits instead of handgun permits.
    I don't know, but I suspect that even in such states that issue CWP, e.g., Florida, brass knuckles are illegal; and the type of knife you described may well be illegal too.

What I don't understand is why you two would carry illegal weapons when in AZ you could easily OC? Were you both too young to OC at the time this happened? Couldn't afford guns? Was OC not practical or legal for the circumstances?

Most folks go a lifetime without ever getting into a fight where weapons are involved. Are you sure both of you weren't looking for trouble to find you?
    I can only speak for myself and as I said before I was getting off work where no guns are allowed. I was cornered between 2 trucks and my car the only thing I had 2 use was the knife that I carry. Even if I had my gun I don't thing I could have pulled it out fast enough, You think you can [believe me I practice] but when a situation arises the BG's don't always annouce themselves and before you know it they're very very close to you.

Given that we don't know the exact circumstances of each of your confrontations, it's impossible for us to give you an informed opinion. I would guess that someone who carries brass knuckles will be assumed to be looking for trouble. Again, it is an uninformed wild guess since I don't know the circumstances or laws where the events occured.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Blkkato
    My whole point for posting this was not to debate if BKs are illegal, if certain knives are legal, or what type of person you must be. I was only thinking out loud and saying to myself wow you can cut or shoot someone in SD but not punch them with BKs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links