EDC Knife for under $20 - dual purpose

This is a discussion on EDC Knife for under $20 - dual purpose within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using a Gerber Paraframe I fine edge for about a month now and am quite pleased with it. It was an impulse ...

Thread: EDC Knife for under $20 - dual purpose

I have been using a Gerber Paraframe I fine edge for about a month now and am quite pleased with it. It was an impulse buy from checking out the knife counter at Wal-Mart while waiting for a night manager to get ammo for me.

I've been using the old standby Swiss Army knife for years at my store but got tired of digging in my pocket all the time and then needing both hands to open it. I had been meaning to get something with a clip for a while and never got around to it until last month.

I am by no means trained in knife fighting but it feels very comfortable in my hand both in forward saber and reverse edge out. It seems to me that this particular knife would be less likely to cut my own hand in reverse edge out grip but my lack of any training may be leading me to a false conclusion.

I had to file down the ridge a little that caught the ball bearing in the closed position. Before I did this it was extremely difficult to open with my thumb but now it opens easily and quickly while locking into place. Enough tension remains so that it will not accidentally open in my pocket. A little dab of RemOil further smoothed out the action.

The primary purpose of this knife is as an inexpensive tool that could be used as a backup to both my brain and my Glock 27 as a last resort. It also looks cool and usually gets an inquisitive look when I use it to open a blister pack or a box for a customer.

I don't expect it to last forever but so far it has remained quite sharp and feels solidly built. Are there any recommendations for when I have to replace it or feel like upgrading it or should I just get another Paraframe I when the time comes? I'd like to stay in the under $50 price range or close to it.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Hey Bio, there are lots of good knives out there that will serve your purpose of EDC and emergency SD in your price range. Check out these, i don't have links so you may need to google them or something.

almost anything BYRD it is made by SPYDERCO
    SPYDERCO TENACIOUS or PERSISTANCE
    KA-BAR DOZIER FOLDER
    ONTARIO RAT 1 FOLDER
    SOG FLASH 1 or 2
    Kershaw Gerber and CRKT have some good stuff as well, the LEEK from KERSHAW is really popular,

check out the SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? thread, lots of good ideas plus it may tease your knife taste buds up to the next level.

thanks for reading.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Great deal at Sportsman's Guide on CRKT Crawford-Kaspers, I just got one for about $29 shipped: Columbia River Crawford Knife, Knives, Columbia River at Sportsman's Guide.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    You can find several Benchmade knives for under $30.00. Very well made stuff.

Sorry about posing on an old thread..

Craig

sog topo

or the dozier i agree

Sponsored Links