Which whetstone(s) to get?

This is a discussion on Which whetstone(s) to get? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a set of whetstones to sharpen my knives, but truthfully I've never done it and don't know exactly what I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which whetstone(s) to get?

Which whetstone(s) to get?

I'm looking to get a set of whetstones to sharpen my knives, but truthfully I've never done it and don't know exactly what I need or how to do it.

I know I need 3 whetstones (generally only 2) a coarse stone, medium stone and fine stone. I also know I need a leather strop. But I don't know the grits I need for each or which brands are better quality or even the type of stone (Arkansas or India). I want to do it the old fashioned way, with a stone(s), some water/oil, and your knife. I'm willing to spend a little, around the ball park of 40-60 per stone.

Also, are there any educational materials that are a must have for learning to sharpen? Books, dvd's or anything of the like?

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

I have some really old Arkansas stones. Made by Smith. I have been happy with them, so I never tried another brand. My stones are 35 years old.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I have one of these Lansky sharpening system sets and really like it, works great.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    My personal favorites are the ceramic stones, white medium grit and black fine grit. They give a great edge with no water or oil, when they get loaded up just use an abrasive cleaner such as Comet to clean them and they are good as new. The two I have were made by Colorado Ceramic 20+ years ago still have the $14.95 price tags on the boxes, cost a bit more now.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Take a look at the Apex @ edgeproinc.com. It's not cheap, but people swear buy them. It's on my list when I get some extra cash. I have a Lansky, it is good but takes a long time to get a knife sharp.

i use a 2000/6000 grit jap water stone... its insane..

A Norton fine India stone is all you really need.

Avoid all the confusion. Get a Spyderco Sharp Maker kit #204, I believe. Comes with a great training DVD and you can go online and get one for $50. Absolutely superb

I just bought a stone set. I've tried for hours to get a good edge out of my Endura 4 with no luck. I've followed many sets instructions... Maybe its the v10 steel....

Go with the sharpmaker from spyderco, havnt heard a bad thing about it. You really cant go wrong with spyderco.

Edit: I should have just looked at the spyderco website sooner. Complimentry knife sharpening!
    Last edited by schwaa; December 3rd, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Administrator

I use the Lansky Diamond set at home to rebuild or remake an edge.

Suggestion:
    If you just want to put a really good, fast, and foolproof edge on a knife out in the field then buy one of these Carbide sharpeners. They are great and will give you an edge that shaves hair.

Search Ebay for Redi-Edge. Redi-Edge makes them for BenchMade and other knife companies so you might wish to vary your search to shop for the lowest price.
    Use a very light touch. You honestly can't screw up with a Redi-Edge.

A good Norton 2 sided(coarse/fine) Crystolon pre-oiled stone has always worked wonders for me for 20+ years. They still sell them. I just finally broke down and bought a new one a few months back.

They work great on really hard tool steels, but the coarse side may cut too much from a soft steel. I usually just use the fine side on softer blades and then leather strop them to finish them up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have had a lansky and that worked fairly well for many years.

Then I switched to a GATCO sharpener, which is exactly like a Lansky but the stones are wider.

I worked my knives for hours to get a perfect edge. Every knife in my household is RAZOR sharp. I can't tell you how many times I gave myself a severe laceration using these stones

But using a GATCO or Lansky is very time consuming. So I decided to get an electric sharpener and after extensive search I came up with this:

Diamond Hone Electric Sharpeners

This sharpener will put a stunningly sharp edge on any knife in short order and it DOES NOT heat the blade at all. i can sharpen every knife in my house in about 30 minutes
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    Avoid all the confusion. Get a Spyderco Sharp Maker kit #204, I believe. Comes with a great training DVD and you can go online and get one for $50. Absolutely superb
    +1 I also have this one and it gives you 2 angles. One puts a 15 degree edge and the other 20 degree edge.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I have one of these Lansky sharpening system sets and really like it, works great.
    +1

I am a knife freak, around 100 as we speak, and you cannot get a better, inexpensive sharpening system!

I have alwys been happy with a little 4" Arkansas stone. It is easilt portable and works well.
    Carrying a gun means I am prepared for one more eventuality than those who do not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links