small knife large skills

small knife large skills

This is a discussion on small knife large skills within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i read once the smaller the knife one carries for selfdefense the more skill is required to use it.does that make sense? i can understand ...

Thread: small knife large skills

small knife large skills

i read once the smaller the knife one carries for selfdefense the more skill is required to use it.does that make sense? i can understand you do sacrafice the reach anything else?

You also lose a lot of grip on smaller knives.

I have been doing some knife work lately and looking at a lot of knives, as my skill level increases i seem to like a longer handle with a short blade like the Delica series, but, the further you are from an opposing knife, the better! I would say yes to that, because you have further to go in order to get to your opponent and you have to be better at targeting and have more direct strikes.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I would say yes, smaller blades have smaller wounding capabilities, thus requiring more skill to compensate. A small blade cuts shallower do to decreased cutting surface and length requiring a knowledge of vital areas, as well as a techniques for reaching them with decreased reach.
    Add in the fact that a smaller knife is harder to manipulate and grip and you see a lot of geometry and linear measure restrictions. So the old saying a bigger knife can do a lot of things a smaller knife can do, but the opposite isnt true.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I say better a small knife than no knife at all.

I consider my 3in.blade lock blade folder a good carry for me.

I am not a knife fighter, but I can deploy this knife very quickly and effectively.

Close in, speed and knowing and practice with your knife seem very important to me.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    A small blade cuts shallower do to decreased cutting surface and length requiring a knowledge of vital areas, as well as a techniques for reaching them with decreased reach.
    Armpits, groin, sides of the neck, insides of the forearms. Major blood vessels close to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Armpits, groin, sides of the neck, insides of the forearms. Major blood vessels close to the surface.
    Unloved has the right idea. A 3 inch blade possesses all the fighting utility you need in a self defense knife. A larger knife is slower, clumsier and the target selection/damage ratio is the same. Even a full stab through the torso with a 7 inch blade is not a guaranteed fight stopper. Work the outer appendages, disabling them with quick multiple cuts and the altercation will be over pretty quick. Besides, which knife would you rather have presented to a jurybox full of uninformed sheep, your 12" vulcan death dagger with the skull pommel or your diminutive little Delica that you use to peel apples for your GrandChildren?
    I am not The Word
    I am the parchment on which
    The Word is written

No matter what size of knife you carry make sure you get proper training with the knife first...training should include knife sparring and deploying your knife under stressful situations (just as you would with a firearm). Also carry your knife where you can get to it quickly. I see a lot of people carry their knives in areas such as around their neck (Neck knife) or in their boots where getting to it would take too long.

Blkkato
    I have tried and practiced with everything from survival knives, gravity, dagger, and my personal, surprise, sucker punch weapon to the "BG" my box cutter. I'm best with the survival knife but its illegal to carry, so a good ol box cutter will & has done the job. Hide in a good place practice pulling it out, you can really mess someones day up with one especially if you grab an arm or leg and slice. Home Depot even sells a carrier for one with an extra long razor blade & pistol grip rubber handle.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    not much skill change... just make sure when you strike with your knife that your other arm isn't in the range of motion. Stabbing yourself isn't a good thing.

a 3" blade is more then enough to do SERIOUS damage to a foe.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

thanks for the advice. all good points. check out the cold steel roach belly see what u think about that.

Sponsored Links