Knife Training

This is a discussion on Knife Training within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, excuse me, but how in the world do you go through 100 street fights without winding up in jail or dead; unless of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife Training

VIP Member
    Hey guys, excuse me, but how in the world do you go through 100 street fights without winding up in jail or dead; unless of course you are LE?

These claims don't pass my sniff test, but I'm willing to hear how it happened and find out why I'm wrong in my assumption.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hey guys, excuse me, but how in the world do you go through 100 street fights without winding up in jail or dead; unless of course you are LE?

These claims don't pass my sniff test, but I'm willing to hear how it happened and find out why I'm wrong in my assumption.
    That's on the low end compared to some people I know. And where I grew up fighting was pretty much a daily thing. Two guys could fight back then and not get thrown in jail. You fought and then shook hands when it was all over or you agreed to do it again later. I have had my brushes with the law but a simple street fight wasnt as big of a deal to them as it is now. So to claim over 100 fights is not unbelievable. Guess a lot of it would depend on where and how you grew up.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

let me try to do point this out with out being an A hole, street fights are quick, hit em and go, " threat, response,withdraw" essentially is how i would put it. You only go to jail when you get caught and you only get dead when it's meant to be. Also I don't know your age Hopyard but when my dad was my age (mid 20s) things were way different than they are now, he is 69 now, so we are talking 60s when cops gave you rides home and let you slide on some stuff that you get hammered for today.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Knives are just like firearms, you have to train to use them effectively.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Black, are you referring to Keep It Simple Stupid? is that the right phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Black, are you referring to Keep It Simple Stupid? is that the right phrase?
    Yes...thats what it means......there are some things you don't forget that comes out of a Marine Drill Instructors mouth....LOL
    "You fight the way you Train"

I am signing up for a class that is taught by one of his old instructors.

He is HARD core and seems to be a lot like your guys fathers.

I hope to learn quite a bit from him.

What books or vids should I be reading up on though?
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Crash course, look at you tube for some Martial Blade Concepts vids, also familiarize yourself with some knife wound pics so that you see what can be done with a knife. And do some studying of your blade that you will be using try to pick one that has a trainer version. Spyderco delica and endura, Boker Reality Based Blade, Emerson, or get a catch all GenPro makes some folding trainers that are very affordable get used to the carry, open and close of your blade, assuming you are using a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Crash course, look at you tube for some Martial Blade Concepts vids, also familiarize yourself with some knife wound pics so that you see what can be done with a knife. And do some studying of your blade that you will be using try to pick one that has a trainer version. Spyderco delica and endura, Boker Reality Based Blade, Emerson, or get a catch all GenPro makes some folding trainers that are very affordable get used to the carry, open and close of your blade, assuming you are using a folder.
    Yes knife training is not only important to learn to use it against your assailant but from hurting yourself as well. Once I responded to ADW call in a contract city (Little L.A. we called it) there on scene was three sliced up Marines and a gangbanger with a his little pinky hanging off his hand...apparently these Marines met this hood rat at a bar and she invited them over to her place....well her boyfriend decides to show up as well....well you can guess what happend next...so yeah training is important if you plan on carrying a very sharp knife

I have carried an knife for several years, Im not worried about cutting myself to much! (It hurts to much)

What "style" would you recommend?
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

They have folding training knives? I was not aware of those. I think I might pick up a couple.

I will do some research but if anyone has a link or something on a folding trainer please let me know.Thanks!
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Anyone that carries a weapon for self-defense should have some training in the justified and effective use of that weapon.

Having said that based on my experience (and I'm not going to list my resume) the vast majority of people will talk a great deal about training but won't expend an ounce of effort in actually getting off the couch to train. If I had $10 for every person that told me they wanted to train but didn't show up for a training session I could retire.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Being kind of eclectic in numerous arts I can honestly say don't get tied up in what art to look at, what works in one art, works in the others, no matter where it comes from. Look at some fillipino arts, military styles, japanese sword arts, fencing, all this comes into play, also check out some trapping arts (wing chun, jkd, etc) so you will get the hang of the flowing patterns that are important in building hand coordination and speed. One major tip I have and BK you may have a different theory but I am a huge fan of cutting WHATEVER they stick out, and even if it isn't an end all cut, its another hole to bleed from. And because I am partial, look at some aikido, blending with an attack can be important, and staying calm is key.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Anyone that carries a weapon for self-defense should have some training in the justified and effective use of that weapon.

Having said that based on my experience (and I'm not going to list my resume) the vast majority of people will talk a great deal about training but won't expend an ounce of effort in actually getting off the couch to train. If I had $10 for every person that told me they wanted to train but didn't show up for a training session I could retire.
    Yeah Cops are the worst ones

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    They have folding training knives? I was not aware of those. I think I might pick up a couple.

I will do some research but if anyone has a link or something on a folding trainer please let me know.Thanks!
    I can get you a website that sells them..... I get them for my students

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links