Knife Training - Page 3

Knife Training

This is a discussion on Knife Training within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 Two guys could fight back then and not get thrown in jail. You fought and then shook hands when it was ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife Training

VIP Member

This is called "play"

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Two guys could fight back then and not get thrown in jail. You fought and then shook hands when it was all over or you agreed to do it again later.
    Uh, that's called play.

Hey 2edges you could retire and I could buy you some flowered shirts lol, It really is very very sad that the people that protect us are not willing to protect themselves, I am not knocking my brothers/sisters of the badge but c'mon the "thug nasties" are putting in the time to learn how to hurt you why not give up a weekend of grab@$$ to advance your training, I have not asked but I will take a guess that those of us on here who carry knives carry more than one, i know LEOs in my area that don't carry a knife at all, in fact they have gun, cuffs, and radio, very disturbing.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

VIP Member

Same age as your dad almost

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    let me try to do point this out with out being an A hole, street fights are quick, hit em and go, " threat, response,withdraw" essentially is how i would put it. You only go to jail when you get caught and you only get dead when it's meant to be. Also I don't know your age Hopyard but when my dad was my age (mid 20s) things were way different than they are now, he is 69 now, so we are talking 60s when cops gave you rides home and let you slide on some stuff that you get hammered for today.
    Same age as your dad almost. Guess what, some things were different but the cops still made arrests---after bashing you with their baton for being naughty. And pre-Miranda, they'd get a confession.

We from rural PA, and I'm guessing that could be why things were the way they were, but I have heard stories about the good ol stick, or flashlight or whatever was handy, video cameras and national exposure of "police brutality" wasn't so commonplace either, right?

They have folding training knives? I was not aware of those. I think I might pick up a couple.

I will do some research but if anyone has a link or something on a folding trainer please let me know.Thanks!
    Endura 4 Trainer - Non-Sharpened "Drone"

Delica 4 LWT Trainer - Non-Sharpened "Drone"

Emerson Knives

Benchmade makes a few drone folders as well.

ETA: As for the question posed in the OP, yes, I train in the defensive use of edged weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, that's called play.
    Trust me there was no "play" involved while the fighting was going on.lol
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Ouch on those trainer prices.

And I have seen that style of trainer, I guess for some reason I was thinking of a folder with a rubber type blade. Something you can actually "poke" people with. since I tend to lean towards poking over slashing.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

you can poke with those, it teaches you not to get hit lol, good way to know how close people are getting to you too.

Ouch on those trainer prices.
    Cutlery Shoppe has all of the Spydercos at very reasonable prices. About 1/2 MSRP. A few of the links I posted are from Spyderco.com just because it was easier to find what I was looking for quickly.

You may be able to find the Benchmades at better prices, I just posted the first link I found that had photos of them.

Emerson Knives are more expensive than Spyderco or Benchmade.

And I have seen that style of trainer, I guess for some reason I was thinking of a folder with a rubber type blade. Something you can actually "poke" people with. since I tend to lean towards poking over slashing.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think rubber bladed folders are possible.
    You can poke people with the metal bladed drones. I've had plenty of bruises to prove it.

In the world of training bumps and bruises are like merit badges, " look i chipped a tooth," ..."yeah but you took that hook like a champ..." lol some call it crazy, we call it conditioning lol

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    In the world of training bumps and bruises are like merit badges, " look i chipped a tooth," ..."yeah but you took that hook like a champ..." lol some call it crazy, we call it conditioning lol
    True, but I encourage the use of protective gear. I hope that no one even thinks about edged weapons training without using at least a mouth guard and eye protection.

Administrator
    "Also i have heard that Kelly McCann is pretty good, his H2H is decent."

Jim Grover AKA Kelly McCann is right on it.

I have some friends in the knife market and maybe able to meet some of the top knife guys soon, kind of excited

I've recently just started carry two knives (Spyderco Delicas). I also bought a couple of Delica trainers. I have no training, but am signed up for Defensive Folding Knife and Defensive Folding Knife II this weekend. I signed up for these classes a couple of months ago and I'm super excited to be taking them.

With respect to street fighting experience:

When I was a freshman in high school I got into a fight with the school wrestling champ (a senior) and sent him to the hospital. I was a brown belt and somehow my instructor found out about the incident. When I came to class a couple of days later, he told me I had the choice of being banned from his school forever, or accepting Mother Love & a 3-month suspension. I chose Mother Love and the suspension. He set up a special session for the whole school, and on the appointed day he brought me up in front of the whole school, had me get into the push-up position, and then gave me 10 strikes with his bamboo cane. Essentially, he caned me. I dropped to the floor after the 4th strike and was crying in pain and humiliation for the last 6 strikes. Then my instructor told me and the whole school "Do not ever misuse the art I have given you." Then, still in front of everyone, he told me to leave and not return for 3 months.

That was over 30 years ago. Since then I have been in several situations that could have turned into fights. I've always been able to either de-escalate or get away from the situation.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links