Knife Training

This is a discussion on Knife Training within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bm7b5 I've recently just started carry two knives (Spyderco Delicas). I also bought a couple of Delica trainers. I have no training, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife Training

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    I've recently just started carry two knives (Spyderco Delicas). I also bought a couple of Delica trainers. I have no training, but am signed up for Defensive Folding Knife and Defensive Folding Knife II this weekend. I signed up for these classes a couple of months ago and I'm super excited to be taking them.

With respect to street fighting experience:

When I was a freshman in high school I got into a fight with the school wrestling champ (a senior) and sent him to the hospital. I was a brown belt and somehow my instructor found out about the incident. When I came to class a couple of days later, he told me I had the choice of being banned from his school forever, or accepting Mother Love & a 3-month suspension. I chose Mother Love and the suspension. He set up a special session for the whole school, and on the appointed day he brought me up in front of the whole school, had me get into the push-up position, and then gave me 10 strikes with his bamboo cane. Essentially, he caned me. I dropped to the floor after the 4th strike and was crying in pain and humiliation for the last 6 strikes. Then my instructor told me and the whole school "Do not ever misuse the art I have given you." Then, still in front of everyone, he told me to leave and not return for 3 months.

That was over 30 years ago. Since then I have been in several situations that could have turned into fights. I've always been able to either de-escalate or get away from the situation.
    I am sorry but if someone beat my kid with bamboo cane.....I would beat his ass...I think he watched too many Kung Fu movies.
    "You fight the way you Train"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    I am sorry but if someone beat my kid with bamboo cane.....I would beat his ass...I think he watched too many Kung Fu movies.
    +1

I think I would of been fightin the one with the cane. No way I would voluntarily lay down for an ass whuppin.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Wow, respecting the Sensei/Sifu is one thing but I must say that's a bit harsh, but you learned a valuable lesson that if you can resolve something before it happens, its much better to things that way.

Before every class we recite a pledge, saying

"Being a student of the Martial arts, I pledge, to put forth my effort when training, to show proper respect to my instructors and fellow students, to only use my training as a means of protection and to represent myself, my instructors, fellow students and my Dojo in an honorable way." I think this is a much better way to teach the aforementioned lesson.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

let me amend my last statement, respecting them is one thing but letting them beat you should not have been asked of a student, we are not in fuedal china anymore
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Blkkato
    I'm 42 now, but I was a Sniper in the Army in my 20's. While being a Sniper in Alaska I took part in a Knife fighting course something like the movie "The Hunted" but we trained with large survival knives and daggers. Later on when I became a Corrections Officer in Az I observed a lot of Prison techniques that I would practice with on my own. I highly recommend learning to use some sort of knife, it has serve me well over the years. Not to mention my favorite the trusty "Box Cutter". It doesn't take a lot of skill to use, its legal, and deadly especially the type that's curved with a rubber gripped handle that's used to cut vinyl flooring. You can ruin someone's day if you were able to grab an arm or leg and slice.

I hold a training session for two different groups, each once a week usually for 6 to 8 months time span. During this time, students go from going from step by step to executing defenses by reflect and near the end see opportunities rather than simply focusing on one form of defense against a specific attack. What is important to understand is that practice is extremely important. If you do not practice both in static and fluid environments than the likelihood of successfully, defending yourself may be part luck and part skill. For one I rather rely more on ingrained skills than luck.

I firmly believe that all training sessions should include training which is static in nature which creates a good learning environment along with (as students progress) training which is under mild stress. Training needs to include empty hand practice which always transitions to some form of defensive tool along with times when no tool is available.

I am 53 years old, started learning on the streets in my teenage years and still learning and expect to continue learning as the years go by.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Since you are asking...I am currently a 1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...I have over 14 years of Kali and Escrima training...I have also trained in Muay Thai and Boxing.

I own and operate two BJJ schools and I also run a tactical defense training consulting company where I teach law enforcement and military unarmed combat. I am also a former Marine and former Cop....I was born and raised in East Los Angeles (Gang Territory).

I have been in more fights on and off duty than your mere 100. Thats not including the fights I had as a kid.

So whose is bigger? yours or mine
    Where does the part about your edged weapons training come in?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Where does the part about your edged weapons training come in?
    Kali and Escrima are FMAs. FMAs tend to start you with edged and club weapons combatives rather than empty hand combatives, mercop.

Back to the OP.....

Yes. Southnarc and Tom Sotis. In fact I'm hosting Sotis for another Seminar here in Chattanooga at the end of January.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Quote Originally Posted by Cruel Hand Luke View Post
    Back to the OP.....

Yes. Southnarc and Tom Sotis. In fact I'm hosting Sotis for another Seminar here in Chattanooga at the end of January.
    Yeah Mr. Sotis has a good FMA background...his stuff is legit

Yeah Mr. Sotis has a good FMA background...his stuff is legit
    As does Southnarc, though they have a slightly different focus.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Hi Everyone,
    I am new in this forum and this is a great forum.I am pleased to become a member in this forum.I need lessons of knives to defend my self.Usually I like to carry Rambo knives but don't know how to defend with it.That's why I'm joined this forum.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevemcdonal View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new in this forum and this is a great forum.I am pleased to become a member in this forum.I need lessons of knives to defend my self.Usually I like to carry Rambo knives but don't know how to defend with it.That's why I'm joined this forum.
    Thanks
    What city in Texas do you live in? Try this website

Pekiti-Tirsia Global Organization

Pekiti Tirsia...awesome blade style

They have alot of certified instructors or training groups in Texas

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Speaking of the above...I don't know about y'all, but I'm a bit leery of schools that promise "No one, and I mean no one, will remove the Knife from your hand", and "Go beyond footwork patterns and exercises - execute tactical footwork in sparring and combat and never be hit". I was around in the 1980s when you'd see ten advertisements per chop socky rag promising super secret ninja death touches, ultimate deadly hand-to-hand combat, and invisibility techniques.

Not saying they don't have anything to teach, their website just smacks strongly of self-aggrandizing horse hockey and that kind of ticks me off...

Ok, fine. It really ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Speaking of the above...I don't know about y'all, but I'm a bit leery of schools that promise "No one, and I mean no one, will remove the Knife from your hand", and "Go beyond footwork patterns and exercises - execute tactical footwork in sparring and combat and never be hit". I was around in the 1980s when you'd see ten advertisements per chop socky rag promising super secret ninja death touches, ultimate deadly hand-to-hand combat, and invisibility techniques.

Not saying they don't have anything to teach, their website just smacks strongly of self-aggrandizing horse hockey and that kind of ticks me off...

Ok, fine. It really ticks me off.
    What website that you came across promises the stuff you mentioned...just curious

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links