Knife Training

Knife Training

This is a discussion on Knife Training within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many people in this forum actually have training on using the knife in a defensive manner. Not trying to put anybody down but I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Knife Training

  1. #1
    Member Array black knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    135

    Knife Training

    How many people in this forum actually have training on using the knife in a defensive manner. Not trying to put anybody down but I come across people all the time that carry knives for defenseive purposes but have no clue how to deploy it or use it if they had to.
    Last edited by black knife; December 7th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.


  2. #2
    New Member Array dante76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    south africa
    Posts
    5
    I've been training the Amok! system for the last 6 months. I highly recommend everyone who carries defensively to get the right training, just as with a handgun!

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,414
    If you carry it you better be able to use it! In American Kenpo we train against knives (while unarmed it's a scary crap shoot...) and with them. Perhaps we need more, but we at least consider and train with knives.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

  4. #4
    New Member Array vonMesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    11
    Black Knife, I couldn't agree with you more. I am currently in training with a Martial Blade Concepts Instructor. I've been at it for a couple of months now, and seem to be progressing. Have a lesson for this coming Saturday, locally on Long Island. "Doc"
    NRA Endowment Life
    NYSRPA Life
    NYSMLA
    NMLRA

  5. #5
    Member Array ShadeDeciple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Georiga
    Posts
    16
    I'm self trained through instrutional videos, pratcie, and lots of time familiarizeing myself with my weapon...and the human body such as vital points and effective techniques for striking them. I even have a training dummy, lol.

    I guess I could benifit from an actual instructor but all in all I'm still fairly confidint that I'm a little better off than someone who just carries a knife without ever practicing it's practical use for combat situations.

  6. #6
    Member Array ItsMyRight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SouthFlorida
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    How many people in this forum actually have training on using the knife in a defensive manner. Not trying to put anybody down but I come across people all the time that carry knives for defenseive purposes but have no clue how to deploy it or use it if they had to.
    Since your critiquing..whats your experience?

    And I say over a hundred street fights gives me a slight edge over the McDojo guy any day. Kinda hard to sit in a defensive seminar all day and then ask the guy how many real fights he has been in with the answer being "none" Unless your trainer has been in numerous "real" fights with the same result every time, all your learning is "theory". Meaning in theory it "should" work. Not trying to put anyone down, I am just a realist.

    What I do is try to take bits a pieces of what guys train and then relate those theories to my personal experiences and try to dissect the BS from the stuff that has actual value.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7
    Member Array black knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Since your critiquing..whats your experience?

    And I say over a hundred street fights gives me a slight edge over the McDojo guy any day.
    Since you are asking...I am currently a 1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...I have over 14 years of Kali and Escrima training...I have also trained in Muay Thai and Boxing.

    I own and operate two BJJ schools and I also run a tactical defense training consulting company where I teach law enforcement and military unarmed combat. I am also a former Marine and former Cop....I was born and raised in East Los Angeles (Gang Territory).

    I have been in more fights on and off duty than your mere 100. Thats not including the fights I had as a kid.

    So whose is bigger? yours or mine
    "You fight the way you Train"

  8. #8
    Member Array ItsMyRight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SouthFlorida
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    Since you are asking...I am currently a 1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...I have over 14 years of Kali and Escrima training...I have also trained in Muay Thai and Boxing.

    I own and operate two BJJ schools and I also run a tactical defense training consulting company where I teach law enforcement and military unarmed combat. I am also a former Marine and former Cop....I was born and raised in East Los Angeles (Gang Territory).

    I have been in more fights on and off duty than your mere 100. Thats not including the fights I had as a kid.

    So whose is bigger? yours or mine
    Your the one who pretty much started the "who's is bigger" As you pretty much started the thread that way. So I was just confirming your intentions.

    And I could care less whos is bigger. But sounds like you do.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,924
    Chill Pill Time.
    Let's try to keep it friendly.
    No need to spit street smarts and credentials at one another.
    The last time I checked we were all on the same side of the fence regarding personal self-defense.

  10. #10
    Member Array black knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMyRight2 View Post
    Your the one who pretty much started the "who's is bigger"

    And I could care less whos is bigger. But sounds like you do.
    You are the one that tried to impress people with your so called 100 fights?
    "You fight the way you Train"

  11. #11
    Member Array ItsMyRight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SouthFlorida
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let's try to keep it friendly.
    No need to spit street smarts and credentials at one another.
    The last time I checked we were all on the same side of the fence regarding personal self-defense.
    I agree. I guess I came at him wrong. I just figured it was one of those my training is the best thread so I kind of instigated. Sorry folks!
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

  12. #12
    Member Array black knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadeDeciple View Post
    I'm self trained through instrutional videos, pratcie, and lots of time familiarizeing myself with my weapon...and the human body such as vital points and effective techniques for striking them. I even have a training dummy, lol.

    I guess I could benifit from an actual instructor but all in all I'm still fairly confidint that I'm a little better off than someone who just carries a knife without ever practicing it's practical use for combat situations.
    I am glad you do some training....but I recommend that you get with a buddy and do some knife sparring as well. You can use rubber or hard foam training knives along with some eye goggles. Knife sparring will work on your timing and reflexes. Also do some scenario training and deploying the knife under stress drills. This will make your knife skills alot better and won't cost you much but time and sweat
    "You fight the way you Train"

  13. #13
    Member Array ItsMyRight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SouthFlorida
    Posts
    315
    But back on subject...

    I agree with Black Knife. In my opinion any weapon you carry, you should have some sort or training with or its pretty much worthless. What good is it if you don't know how to use it? At the very least maybe practice drawing and opening the knife. A task as simple as retrieving something from your pocket can be very difficult under elevated stress/adrenaline levels.

    And for the sake of people who maybe don't have access to anywhere to receive training. Can anyone recommend any good videos or books on the subject?
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Member Array AllAbtSlfDef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    398
    Hey guys, I missed the heated part but this sounds like a serious thread.

    Recommendations- MBC by Mike Janich is pretty nice very simple and to the point. Also i have heard that Kelly McCann is pretty good, his H2H is decent.

    So you know I have 20+ years in MA, i am blessed that i have not had to use my training in the street. I am a leo and it does come in handy, i train under my father who has 50+ in and was Spec Ops in the early 60s and had multiple H2H confrontations, he is a walking weapon.

    I train mainly in Aikido/Aikijujitsu/kyusho/ and japanese jujitsu, I have done knife training and agree all around that what you carry you should train with.

    I have done other arts including some kali/escrima and grappling

    If you want good training look for some of the less "flashy" arts in the knife realm. I think black knife can agree that escrima is a great art-BUT takes much longer to learn and become good at than something that is basic gross motor skills, and with anything practice makes perfect,


    Agreed knife sparring is a must! Situational is good too you will never know all scenarios because they are all different but a few good examples never hurt.

    Thanks for reading!
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

  15. #15
    Member Array black knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Hey guys, I missed the heated part but this sounds like a serious thread.

    Recommendations- MBC by Mike Janich is pretty nice very simple and to the point. Also i have heard that Kelly McCann is pretty good, his H2H is decent.

    So you know I have 20+ years in MA, i am blessed that i have not had to use my training in the street. I am a leo and it does come in handy, i train under my father who has 50+ in and was Spec Ops in the early 60s and had multiple H2H confrontations, he is a walking weapon.

    I train mainly in Aikido/Aikijujitsu/kyusho/ and japanese jujitsu, I have done knife training and agree all around that what you carry you should train with.

    I have done other arts including some kali/escrima and grappling

    If you want good training look for some of the less "flashy" arts in the knife realm. I think black knife can agree that escrima is a great art-BUT takes much longer to learn and become good at than something that is basic gross motor skills, and with anything practice makes perfect,


    Agreed knife sparring is a must! Situational is good too you will never know all scenarios because they are all different but a few good examples never hurt.

    Thanks for reading!
    I agree with you and I also recommend Michael Janich's material but not so much on Kelly McCann. I myself teach my guys very basic knife fighting....I got rid of the flashy stuff and just kept with the basics along with alot of knife sparring....K.I.S.S is the best way to go...
    "You fight the way you Train"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Defensive Knife I and II from Insights Training Center
    By RochPersDef in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
  2. Are you happy with your academy/department firearm training, seek private training?
    By Jcabin in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
  3. April 15 , Knife/Counter-Knife Workshop, Skaneateles, NY
    By ChrisFry in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
  4. New knife training dvd
    By KenpoTex in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 28th, 2005, 08:15 AM
  5. knife vs gun training
    By david1 in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 11th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Search tags for this page

defensive knife training

,

escrima indio ca

,
escrima training in indio ca
,
genpro emerson training knife
,
kali training-long island,ny
,

knife coures in phoenix

,

knife training classes

,
knife training in los
,

knife training in los angeles

,

knife training long island

,
phoenix az knife training
,
special ops knife fighting training long island ny
Click on a term to search for related topics.