Fixed Blade Recomendations

This is a discussion on Fixed Blade Recomendations within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, looking for a good all around duty fixed blade knife. anything from opening boxes, to a practical self defense knife. This will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Blade Recomendations

Hey guys,

looking for a good all around duty fixed blade knife. anything from opening boxes, to a practical self defense knife. This will be a EDC knife as well.

Currently carry a Kershaw Leek, and a an old Gerber folder about the same size as the leek. For size reference, the Leek feels a little small in my hands. especially if I needed to use it to defend myself.

What say you fine folks?

Need a price range but R.A.T would be a good place to start.

Senior Moderator
    I know a whole bunch of people will come in here with a lot of good suggestions but I'll just throw this out there...

A good all-around-duty, fixed-blade knife is any quality knife you don't mind beating up.

Since doing some force-on-force, I learned the prudence of fixed-blades and I prefer them to folders. I have often carried a small folder just for utility work while carrying a Ka-Bar TDI for defensive purposes or even a Ka-Bar LDK for the same reasons. I've also carried the Cold Steel Mini Tanto. No matter how much I tell myself they are just for defensive purposes I always end up opening a box with them or cutting strings when my husband isn't looking...

They are quality blades, tough, sharp and quick and easy to use. I really do try to keep the KaBars for defensive purposes so that they can stay razor sharp, the tanto, on the other hand, gets a little more every day use.

It also depends on the type of utility work you are going to be doing. If you are planing on doing prying and screwing you might want to look into a tanto blade or a MAK knife as they have a stronger tip. Your thin stiletto tips may break with that kind of work.

Remember to look at your state blade-length limits as well so you aren't caught with a knife that is outside of legal limits.

This looks like a pretty interesting all-purpose knife... the CRKT MAK

After all the Striders, Chris Reeves, Benchmades and a Hinderer - folders and fixed - that I've owned, my favorite everyday knife is the RAT Cutlery izula. Best little knife I've owned and I don't mind really using it since you can easily find them for $50. If it breaks, they fix it...if I lose it, I just buy a new one.

I've carried the Strider SA fixed blade, but there's still something about the Izula, plus it has a deep belly which aids in push cuts against a surface.

Here's the same pic I've posted in another thread or two this week..

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The Spyderco Street Beat is pretty hard to beat for the price. I picked one up off of the interwebz for $143.66 shipped and it's absolutely top notch in all aspects. The Izula above is a mighty fine knife for the price. I also carry the Spyderco Swick, basically a modernized La Griffe/Bear Claw with better ergos in the off-hand/reverse grip.

thanks for the recommendations folks! that Izula looks intriguing!

As for price range... I'd like to keep it under a $100, but if a knife really looks appealing, I wouldn't be opposed going up to $150ish

I really like the Izula "type" of blade. Keep the recommendations coming! Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
    thanks for the recommendations folks! that Izula looks intriguing!

As for price range... I'd like to keep it under a $100, but if a knife really looks appealing, I wouldn't be opposed going up to $150ish

I really like the Izula "type" of blade. Keep the recommendations coming! Thank you all!
    If you want to spend a little more, go slightly larger, and get scales, I suggest the RAT Cutlery RC-3. It's pretty much exactly the same blade shape.
    RAT Cutlery Co.

If you're willing to spend around $140.00, the Spyderco Street Beat is really nice. psychophipps did a great review here not too long ago.
    Street Beat FB15P - Fred Perrin Design

I have one of each. They're both great knives. I have an Izula inbound, it should be here in a couple of days. I'll post a couple of photos of it, and my RC-3 side by side when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    If you are planing on doing prying and screwing you might want to look into a tanto blade or a MAK knife as they have a stronger tip. Your thin stiletto tips may break with that kind of work.
    With all due respect, if you want to pry or drive screws, you should get a pry bar, and/or screwdriver.

I carry a Boker CLB Edit, not a bad little knife, needs a better sheath, but it works well.

really startin to dig the izula, and the becker necker.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

I like my Kershaw Boot Knife. It comes with a sheath that allows it to be carried in a variety of ways, not just in the boot as its name implies. Very rugged and very concealable.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

those RC knives look great!

Thanks folks!

For an affordable knife that fits your description of what you need, check out the CRKT Kommer I.F.B:

I have this and it takes and holds a wicked edge. It is a single piece of drop forged steel. I used a Lansky sharpening system with a diamond hone and cut through one of my wife's candles like butter (she asked me to shorten one for her). It also cuts through hard plastic packaging like a plasma torch. Amazing knife, amazing steel and it didnt cost much. It also comes wtih an awesome kydex sheath that has perfect retention
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

I haven't got it yet but I'm swapping a couple of mags for an Izula.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    With all due respect, if you want to pry or drive screws, you should get a pry bar, and/or screwdriver.
    I completely agree!!!

However, just yesterday I pried some blinds off a sill that had been painted over. At least a few times in my life I had unscrewed a few screws with a knife.

While the IDEAL tool for the job is the tool designed for that job, in a pinch a knife can work as a lot of different tools, so if you're willing to subject your knife to a little more abuse than usual you might as well get one with a really strong blade.

I finally got a photo of my new Izula with a couple of other knives for size comparison.

Izula, RC-3, Endura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links