keep the knife???!! excuse me?!

This is a discussion on keep the knife???!! excuse me?! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A medic will tell you: "Don't remove the knife from a knife victim" because it can cause a worse injury, especially serrated blades. Well here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keep the knife???!! excuse me?!

A medic will tell you: "Don't remove the knife from a knife victim" because it can cause a worse injury, especially serrated blades.
    Well here goes ~ If an assailant gets the better of you with his blade example: (right in the gut) should you do everything you can to keep him (or her) from removing their blade and risk a deeper wound?
    Or should you let them retract their blade, try to compose yourself, and take another shot at the disarm?
    Please don't respond with: "If somebody pulls a knife you should run." that's common sense.
    You know the scenarios, "cornered" "protecting family" etc.
    Nobody ever discuss this, never.
    OK ladies and gents...let's get heated.

Probably going to be the least of your worries

If someone stabs you in the gut, and you struggle to keep them from removing the blade, you will cause further injury. The idea of not removing an impaled object is not to reduce further damage, but to reduce bleeding. The blade may be tamponading a severed vessel. If a BG stabs you, just pull your weapon and blow his stinking head off.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

i forgot to mention everybody doesnt carry guns

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It's pretty much a frying pan or fire question.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You already let someone get too close.
    That said, I can't believe that they'll be a discussion on "What do we do now?"...if you did get stabbed, now finish what you meant to do prior to that 'problem' and then get to a hospital.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Of course you should do what you can to retain the blade, but not by holding it within the wound while it is being wrenched around within the wound, during a struggle between you and your assailant--that would just make things worse. But do attempt to disarm your assailant so that they can't use the knife to inflict additional wounds on you.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

If you're asking if you should remove the knife from the wound while still struggling with the attacker, then I would say absolutely. Even if he doesn't have control of it anymore, it could get moved around during the struggle. Imagine if you fell on it! The near-certainty of further injury far outweighs the blood loss you would experience from the open wound.

Let us change this for a minute, say your friend or love one was stabbed and you are defending.

Once the threat is down or gone and you are tending to love one who is now in great pain and help is maybe minutes or hours away or just not coming.

Now what do you do, remove blade or leave it in?

Personally I would tend to remove blade and apply pressure as the blade maybe contaminated with who knows what, so get it out and use pressure to control bleeding as much as possible.

As far as trying to retain blade within self while in a defensive fight, who knows what would happen in the heat of battle.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The recommendation regarding not removing a blade or other impaled object is as mentioned, to minimize bleeding (damming affect of the knife inhibiting bleeding) and further damage that might occur by attempting to retract the object.

That recommendation is based on the assumption that you have stablized the object for transporting the individual to a medical facility.

Having a knife handle or some length of an impaled object sticking out of the individual while they are still in a heated confrontation opens up the possibility that the knife or object could be thrust further into the individual or otherwise knocked around increasing the severity of the damage.

As someone else said, its a frying pan versus fire situation but my thinking would be to remove the knife and if possible turn it against the attacker. I would think that having a knife sticking in your gut while you're still trying to defend yourself would be a major distraction.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

When this question was first posed, I thought maybe it would almost turn into a weapon retention situation, you trying to keep the knife away from the BG but I'm glad there are more informed opinions, gut shots are rough, they can really inhibit your movement.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    This questions seems like kind of a no-brainer.

If someone has a knife stuck in you, even assuming you get a chance to grab it, why would you try to keep it stuck in you? You'd only be fighting somebody to control the knife and jarring it around, causing massive internal hemorrhaging and organ damage.

And that's assuming you even got a chance to try and fight for it and were capable of doing so after being stabbed.

Heh..when I got stabbed in a fight long ago (16yrs old)....I wanted it out of me ASAP!!! It friggn hurt!!

Though after the first stab didn't give him the desired effect he then attempted to slash me in wich my baggy shirt helped save me from a major slash.....by then people were coming to see what was happing. Him and his buddy took off between some houses.

They never got those Jordans they wanted.

TO this day when I see somebody get stabbed in a movie or the like, I wrench a bit cause I can relate how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    If someone stabs you in the gut, and you struggle to keep them from removing the blade, you will cause further injury. The idea of not removing an impaled object is not to reduce further damage, but to reduce bleeding. The blade may be tamponading a severed vessel. If a BG stabs you, just pull your weapon and blow his stinking head off.
    What he said.

you want the blunt answer....

1) learn some techniques to avoid getting stabbed....
    2) if they do and lean in..... put the gun against their head and pull the trigger
    3) if they are good with a knife, you wont' get a chance, they will slice and dice you faster than one of those food choppers on TV. Don't ever let them get that close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links