Help me chose an EDC knife. - Page 2

Help me chose an EDC knife.

This is a discussion on Help me chose an EDC knife. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Spyderco Delica......

View Poll Results: Which knife for EDC

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Benchmade Mini Nitrous

7 15.91%
  • Emerson Mini CQC-7B

12 27.27%
  • Other

25 56.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me chose an EDC knife.

Spyderco Delica...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

+1 on the Sypderco Delica (I actually prefer the Endura if you can go over 3 inches). I also own the CQC - 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Obviously you are basing your choice on something other than a quality sub 3" blade knife that you can EDC. There are plenty of high quality knives that meet those requirements for a lot less money than the two knives you list. So rather than offering suggestions to you, I'd ask you why you picked those two over other less expensive knives that fit the bill just as well (if not better, e.g. Spyderco Delica)?
    My initial research was on a which brands are considered high quality. And Benchmade and Emerson seems to be mentioned alot with "if you can afford it" attached to them. And around $100 isn't all that bad, considering the present I gave her. So that was the bases for the decision.

I looked at the spyderos and I don't know how I feel about the round hole to opening the blade. The shape of the blades turn me off as well.

I've been looking at the Kershaw leek with the g10 and that looks promising. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My advice is to simply go to an outdoors store(s) and try as many in the case(s) as you can. Looks are often deceiving, especially in regards to knives. Get an idea of the size you want, the weight you want, grip width that is comfortable, etc. before you order anything. If it ends up a bit late, so be it. This is the perfect chance to get the knife you really want rather than what looks cool, and you'll get years of use out of the thing.

I honestly didn't like the Spyderhole at first, either. I even had to put up a post on a forum so those in the know could tell me how to use the dang thing, but now it's probably the best non-assist opener style I have found yet. There is a reason that Benchmade licensed it from Spyderco, after all.

Buy the Emerson. You won't regret it. I have a few knives and of the mass produced Emerson is my favorite.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have two Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks...assisted openers.

Great knives.
    ditto and the Kershaw Skyline is pretty darn awesome to just a bit bigger and a flipper.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Using the safety latch on a Kershaw could cause problems if you needed the knife while dealing with an adrenaline rush...I'm just sayin'...
    :
    If you hang around guys who are serious about defensive knife techniques, you'll see that they are constantly flicking their knives open and closed until it become second nature. This shouldn't be a problem if it's ingrained. Not too familiar with the particular Kershaw, but the Gerber 06s have placed the latch in a natural position. Of course, their blade is slightly (read almost imperceptibly) over 3 1/2".

Maybe a little larger than the OP was looking for. My bad.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

I've had a Gerber, Kershaw, Kabar's and Spyderco's. The Kabar is built like a tank, and too think to carry. My Spyderco's I absolutely adore. Never again will I buy a knife with a thumb stud, and assisted openers are cool, but what happens if they don't completely deploy? I'll stick to the round hole opening, I love it, and carry one every day.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I've had a Gerber, Kershaw, Kabar's and Spyderco's. The Kabar is built like a tank, and too think to carry. My Spyderco's I absolutely adore. Never again will I buy a knife with a thumb stud, and assisted openers are cool, but what happens if they don't completely deploy? I'll stick to the round hole opening, I love it, and carry one every day.
    I love the spring-assist openers, my SOG opens extremely fast and hard. But this just goes to show why there are different types of the same products out there because everyone has their own personal tastes. Life would be boring otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Agreed!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

My vote goes for the Emerson Horseman. Smaller then the CQC8 (a classic) and easier to carry for me.

Partial to Benchmade's

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Add another one to the Kershaw Ken Onion Leeks. I carry two; one for opening boxes and one that I hope I never have to use.

Someone commented about the safety, I don't use it. The knife won't open unless you flip the tang. Just like my EDC gun, if my finger isn't on the trigger it wont go "bang".

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

I do the same...Carry one for boxes ect...the other for defense...I used to be a Kershaw dealer so I have several...Reliable knives...Hold a edge and easy to maintain...
    "Rhino"

Thanks for everyone's input. I had her order the Kershaw Leek with the g10 handle.

The leek wasn't even in the equation but you guys talked me into it. That's why I love the DC community. Now all I have to do is wait patiently for it to get here.

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links