Defensive Carry banner

"Advice on purchasing a clinch type knife"

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  keith56 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an informed opinion on the CRKT Bear Claw, how would it compare with say a Ka-Bar TDI, or some other small fixed blade? This knife would be worn on a belt near the centerline of the torso, availible to either hand for use in a dire emergency. Also what about something like a Beker Neker or a CRKT Dogfish.

Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
I own a Bear Claw and it's a decent knife for the price. The sheath that it comes with is the suckiest suck to ever suckity suck. It's really that horrible.

George likes the La Griffe but I prefer a Spyderco Swick. I find the ergonomics of the Swick superior and the off-hand reverse grip isn't a cold, cruel joke with the Swick. The Wharncliffe blade of the Swick works just as well for gunting strikes as the La Griffe and allows for better thrusting in a pinch due to it's straight blade geometry. The Swick also costs less and is made of superior steels, IMO. You can get a top-tier kydex Swick sheath $21 shipped as well.

#9 ·
I haven't formed a personal opinion on this, but I believe the concern is that with the finger hole the knife can be used (by an opponent) to gain a lock on your finger. While that would be bad, there is an advantage to the hole for control and retention. Not sure where the balance lands.

#11 ·
I think if I had a small sharp knife in my hand it would be at best very difficult for some one to grab my finger. Maybe I am missing something here but I don't think so.

When I first got my OK Concealed Weapon Lic. and started to carry with regularity my mom was concered that "a bad person would take my gun away" from me and use it on me. I simply told my mom not to worry, if anyone ever took my gun I would grab it right back from them. To this she replied that a person with a loaded gun will not simply let you grab it away, just as the words left her mouth you could see the light go on and we have never had that discussion again.

Maybe I should consider a small fixed blade without a finger hole. Ka-Bar is looking better. LDK or Becker?

#12 ·
re 7mm gumbo

I think if I had a small sharp knife in my hand it would be at best very difficult for some one to grab my finger. Maybe I am missing something here but I don't think so.
That was my point, though I put it awkwardly and in a round about manner. Stick your finger out and you give your opponent something to grab. Stick it out with the knife on there and you give your opponent a sharp edge to grab. Doesn't mean they won't still be able to break your finger, but it will be a little (a lot ) more risky to try. OTOH, there is something there to leverage the snap of the finger.

#13 ·
Most of these finger hole knives are set up to where your thumb sits on the spine of the blade to create a fairly straight line from the blade tip to your elbow for good biomechanical efficiency. In this grip you find your index finger is actually being covered and tucked under your thumb with your hand in a modified fist around the handle. Not a whole lot to grab there if that blade is swinging around at anything you stick out.

Being a Small Circle kid of a few years, and Small Circle Jujitsu's official patch symbol is an index finger lock surrounded by a two-direction circle, I learned that trying to grab a finger while it's in a fist is largely a waste of time. It's moving more often than not and the tension of the entire hand makes separation of a single or two digits all but impossible because it also has lateral tension as well as linear to the joint movement. In order to get a good go at a finger you need to stun them or cause enough of a reaction at a different location than the targeted limb to make them "forget" to clench that fist anymore and then you grab a digit or four.

So having a grab at the knife hand with one of these blades and thinking that "just locking the finger hole finger" will be simple to do is largely incorrect in my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.