OC spray? what to look for?

This is a discussion on OC spray? what to look for? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the points guys. You would think that with all the marketing done by the OC companies you would read more stories. As ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OC spray? what to look for?

Thanks for all the points guys. You would think that with all the marketing done by the OC companies you would read more stories.

As a police I never took a report of a citizen that defended themselves with OC. I did take a few in reference to it being used as a robbery tool. Legal even for a convicted felon to carry and is easy to use.

I train everyone from kids to SF/SWAT types. Whether it is a tactic, technique, or a tool I cannot endorse something I don't believe in. My wife and daughter don't carry it so I am not going to advise someone else to.

OC was the one thing I would have taken off my duty belt if I could.

Here is another problem with OC with off duty police and the CCW community, carry and use. Everything on a duty belt is in the same location all the time and deployed with some thought. In civilian clothes people tend to carry things in different places dependent on clothes. The only way OC will be any good is if you have it in your hand when attacked, digging for a gun or knife is hard enough, forget about OC.

For those of you who do carry OC along with your pistol, where do you carry it? Deployed instead of a pistol with your strong hand, or deployed with the weak hand along with the pistol? If it fails or is having no effect will you have it in your mind to drop it and shoot? This stuff will not happen without training.- George

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    For those of you who do carry OC along with your pistol, where do you carry it? Deployed instead of a pistol with your strong hand, or deployed with the weak hand along with the pistol? If it fails or is having no effect will you have it in your mind to drop it and shoot? This stuff will not happen without training.- George
    Though I have not yet had OC training, I have recently started carrying it whenever I leave the house. I do not carry a pistol at work because of company policy, but I do carry OC in my strong side jacket or sweater pocket whenever I leave the house. I also carry it when I go running either in the strong side pocket of my running vest, or in my hand (I also carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt when I run, but do not carry any other SD weapons).

I practice my ccw handgun draw every day (have a blue gun for that), and practice drawing OC once or twice a week. I have not practiced drawing OC and then dropping it and doing a handgun draw. I will add that to my practice routine--thanks for the advice.

I do practice shooting and moving with both pistol and OC (blue gun practice, not live fire as I don't have a facility for that--yet). Moving while fighting is pretty natural to me because of my background in boxing. If I draw my OC and then decide the situation has turned lethal, my "plan" is to drop the OC and do the handgun draw--need to add that to my practice routine. If my attacker continues to advance at me after being sprayed, my plan is to engage in hand-to-hand. Even though I haven't actively practiced that for years, I'm highly confident in my hand-to-hand skills (whether justified or not).

I really wish I had a few people in my area that I could regularly practice these techniques with instead of always "shadow boxing."
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

I suggest that unless it is your only force option OC be deployed with your reaction side hand allowing you to strike, cut, shoot with your strong side if you need to.

You need a battery of self-defense tools that compliment each other, not a collection of stuff.

Good on you for the Blue Gun work. Do you have an inert can of your OC to practice spraying? Blue Gun also makes a mace can.

This year was a good one for MCS, next year in advanced classes students can expect a spritz of OC during some drills. Good to know how OC will effect you in training before getting blow back in the street.

The biggest difference between use of OC and the citizen as I see it is physical contact. Police spray and then have to go hands on. OC knows no master and works on police too, actually usually better. For the citizen I can see the attacker being the one that makes contact after being sprayed. I think it would be a natural predator reaction to attempt to control the victim after being sprayed if within reach. Maybe not so much in robbery situation since there is likely less emotional investment. But in the course of a sexual assault (which OC companies really market to the fear of) I can see the attacker continuing to do physical damage if they get their hands on the victim.

If you do use OC be sure to be the first on to call the police. Everyone thinks they are the good guy, even bad guys. If your awareness is good and you have the OC in your hand chances are that you may deploy OC without any physical contact between you and the attacker. The only evidence of the altercation may that of the OC on your attacker. Suppose he goes to the ER seeking medical treatment, not afraid of repercussions, because he sees himself as the good guy. Either the attacker or ER staff calls PD and the next thing you know you are being accused of assault. Head this off at the pass by calling the police first.

Police work is seldom protecting the good from the evil, more often is refereeing between two knuckleheads. When accused of assault everyone says they are the victim. The first question we ask is "why didn't you call the police". This also goes for people who are accused of "forcing" a confrontation by failing to break contact with the problem and using their cell phone to call 911.- George

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Though I have not yet had OC training, I have recently started carrying it whenever I leave the house. I do not carry a pistol at work because of company policy, but I do carry OC in my strong side jacket or sweater pocket whenever I leave the house. I also carry it when I go running either in the strong side pocket of my running vest, or in my hand (I also carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt when I run, but do not carry any other SD weapons).

I practice my ccw handgun draw every day (have a blue gun for that), and practice drawing OC once or twice a week. I have not practiced drawing OC and then dropping it and doing a handgun draw. I will add that to my practice routine--thanks for the advice.

I do practice shooting and moving with both pistol and OC (blue gun practice, not live fire as I don't have a facility for that--yet). Moving while fighting is pretty natural to me because of my background in boxing. If I draw my OC and then decide the situation has turned lethal, my "plan" is to drop the OC and do the handgun draw--need to add that to my practice routine. If my attacker continues to advance at me after being sprayed, my plan is to engage in hand-to-hand. Even though I haven't actively practiced that for years, I'm highly confident in my hand-to-hand skills (whether justified or not).

I really wish I had a few people in my area that I could regularly practice these techniques with instead of always "shadow boxing."
    I hear you there, Bm7b5. I would be more than willing to head on over if you were a bit closer to me. Heck, I would even let you hose me down with the realio-dealio just so I can refresh myself to the effects of the spray since I was sprayed by a buddy in high school.

Perfect example of how I am used to seeing OC Spray used- I frequent this Wal Mart-
    4 Face Charges In Shoplifting Incident - Pennsylvania News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links