Confusion...Folders with built-in safety locks

This is a discussion on Confusion...Folders with built-in safety locks within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand why some folders have safeties built in -- prevents unexpected deployment of the blade. I like that idea of a safety, as I ...

Thread: Confusion...Folders with built-in safety locks

Confusion...Folders with built-in safety locks

I understand why some folders have safeties built in -- prevents unexpected deployment of the blade. I like that idea of a safety, as I have had cheap, cheap folders open enough in the pocket to catch the blade tip with a finger. But, I'm confused....

So why would anyone carry a folder with a built in safety for personal SD? That would mean two actions to deploy the blade under stress and pressure, release safety then open folder.

Am I missing something -- should folders with safeties be avoided if the blade is primarily intended for SD? Do folders with built in safety locks require less force to open than non-safety lock folder, as the lockable folder's primary means of protecting the blade is the safety lock itself.

Thanks for the opinions.

John

2. Remove Ads

Using a safety lock could be someone's undoing when the adrenaline flows...
    I have two Ken Onion Leeks (assisted openers). They will not open by accident. I made sure to tighten down the tiny bolt for on the safety...don't need it. I can remember trying to open the Leek before tightening the lock down. The lock had moved into the locking position without me realizing it...don't want that to happen if I were in a defensive position.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have two Ken Onion Leeks (assisted openers). They will not open by accident. I made sure to tighten down the tiny bolt for on the safety...don't need it. I can remember trying to open the Leek before tightening the lock down. The lock had moved into the locking position without me realizing it...don't want that to happen if I were in a defensive position.
    I've done the same with my Kershaw Chive, I just unscrewed the safety screw and pulled the whole piece out, no more worrying when it comes to that knife

My Kershaw Blur doesn't have , or need, a "safety". That's what my brain is for.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have an SOG Flash II knife which I like, but do NOT carry for any serious purpose because the safety deploys itself and is not at all quick to un-deploy.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Maudite View Post
    I have an SOG Flash II knife which I like, but do NOT carry for any serious purpose because the safety deploys itself and is not at all quick to un-deploy.
    I am now carrying the Flash II daily and I put a drop of super glue on the safety to keep it in the off position. I wish SOG would rethink this and maybe go to a Kershaw like system for locks and at least give you the option.

Same reason you have all those warning stickers on law mowers.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Same reason you have all those warning stickers on law mowers.
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. I guess the safety provides one additional layer of liability protection for the manufacturer given the built in assisted opening, just like the stickers on the lawn mower.

Links