Tip up or tip down? - Page 2

Tip up or tip down?

This is a discussion on Tip up or tip down? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will only buy knives that are tip up. It's very easy for me to draw the knife and either flip it open or open ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry your folder tip up or tip down?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry mine up

86 69.35%
  • I carry mine down

38 30.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip up or tip down?

I will only buy knives that are tip up. It's very easy for me to draw the knife and either flip it open or open it with a thumb stud. Not to mention, since the knife blade is resting against the side of my pocket, no need to worry about getting cut.

I own a Benchmade Aphid that is tip down only. I actually got spiked once by the tip when the knife opened slightly in my pocket and I reached in my pocket to grab my keys. Not a pleasant experience.

My nex knife will be an Emerson with wave opening, so tip up is mandatory... that is if I can actually find one.

Thank you Golfnutcasey ... makes sense. Not a knife guy myself, but something I may migrate to in time.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Tip up, easier for me to deploy and open. I use it mostly for work though.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Tip up

I have always been a tip down carrier but since I got the SOG flash II I have switched all my Kershaws to tip up. Still not all the way comfy with it yet but I am making fewer mistakes after 2 weeks.

Depends on the knife. I generally prefer tip down for defensive folders because less manipulation is required to get the knife into position for opening after the draw. I always carry a Waved Delica. Tip down is required for that. I don't use my defensive knives for everyday chores. I carry a folder specifically for utility purposes, and I don't care whether that one is tip up, or down.

I carry either an Emerson waved folder or Spyderco with the Emerson-patented wave feature (a tip-pointing hook on the base of the blade that snags on the pocket and flips the blade open as you pull it out). This requires tip-up carry, of course.
    This exactly, although I liked tip-up even before I started riding the Wave.

I always carry a Waved Delica. Tip down is required for that.
    Um...

Quote Originally Posted by Maudite View Post
    Um...
    Whoops. Good catch. I typed "down" when I meant "up". I'd fix it if I could, but the forum won't let me edit posts after a certain time period. I think it's 24 hours.

Get a good slice on the pad of your finger from a loose pivot pin and you will rethink tip up.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Get a good slice on the pad of your finger from a loose pivot pin and you will rethink tip up.- George
    - I got spiked by a tip down carry when reaching for my keys when it slid open a little while in my pocket (Benchmade Aphid). I've never had a problem with tip up since the blade is always against the back of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    What are the arguments for carrying your folder with the tip pointing up or down? I'm new to the whole idea of carrying it tip up and was wondering what everyone's opinions were.
    In my opinion it is a choice comparable to which way you prefer to roll out the toillet paper.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Already happened.

I've never had a problem with tip up since the blade is always against the back of my pocket.
    This.

Besides, I don't carry anything in that pocket except the knife (occasionally replaced by a Kel-Tec), so I don't go fishing around in there.

Always carried tip up, whether it was the Gerber AR 3, the Kershaw Leek, or one of the Spyderco's, delica or endura.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

tip down for me. grab with thumb and index finger rotate in hand, thumb to stud to open or index finger on the lil finger flicky tab thingy. IDFK what its called
    Life is a game of chance, be prepared to throw down when its time to dance. If your young, enjoy it cuz your youth is gold and never waste time every single day you grow old. written is a page in the book for you, with hard times and bad luck to see what you will do.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Tip up, so as you unfold it, the tip is down. Safer and quicker to deploy. What not to like?
    +1
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links