Tip up or tip down?

This is a discussion on Tip up or tip down? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KimBobTex For the few out there like myself wondering "what the heck are they talking about", I'll be the sacrificial lamb to ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry your folder tip up or tip down?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I carry mine up

86 69.35%
  • I carry mine down

38 30.65%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tip up or tip down?

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    For the few out there like myself wondering "what the heck are they talking about", I'll be the sacrificial lamb to take the slings & arrows, & take point for the dumb brigade to ask ... "what the heck is this poll referring to"? What is a "folder" ... & "tip" of what in regards to CC & firearms?
    Glad you asked. I was wondering what the heck they were talking about. Carrying a folder looking down is not a good idea. All the papers will fall out.

2. Remove Ads

Tip up.. "always". I want the mechanics and muscle memory there if/when I need it. Same repetition applies to all my EDC.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, it depends. I carry my Tarani Masters Karambit and Spyderco Civilian tip-up, but importantly, they have holes in the blades to use for thumbing open, and the tips are well-buried within the handle. Folders with studs and other protruding bits can open during the draw if tip-up. I removed the pocket clips from my Strider ARs, and carry them down inside the pocket, tip down, inside an Uncle Mike's holster. To carry an AR clipped into a pocket, tip-up, would be dangerous, IMHO. (Yes, I tried it, as a brief experiment.)

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    assisted opening tip up...if the clip is positioned properly on the knife it will allow you to draw the knife with your hand in the operating position so all you have to do is deploy the blade without repositioning the knife in your hand...

Tip up is just a more natural draw for me, but opinions may vary.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Having just swapped to forced tip-up carry due to not liking the feel of the Spyderco Endura, I think it's a moot point really. Either way you will have to do extra manipulations with the knife under extreme stress and probably while trying to move to evade an attack. Messing around with your knife in any way during deployment while trying to not get yourself laid out (if you're lucky) is non-optimal regardless of initial blade tip orientation.

My Beanchmade Mini Griptilian is tip up from the factory.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

All of you make me think I'm doing something wrong! I've allways carried my folders tip down, its all I've ever known. I just tried tip up and it's too much manipulation to get my thumb into the hole on my Endura. With tip down, I can have my thumb in the hole before the entire knife is out of my pocket. SO thats tip down for me.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

I usually carry tip down, (mostly because of the pocket clip) my benchmade I wear sideways with the sheath so I just go back to front to pull it out and open. I have removed a few clips off knives and they are tip up when I carry them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links