Street Stick

Street Stick

This is a discussion on Street Stick within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was the second DVD I did and I thought it would be very popular since everyone can carry a stick of some sort, or at ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Stick

Street Stick

Was the second DVD I did and I thought it would be very popular since everyone can carry a stick of some sort, or at least have them around.

Here are some thoughts on the stick. No I am not talking about any martial arts. I am not talking about your favorite set of fighting sticks. I am talking about two types of stick. Yawara Bo size (Kubaton size) like pens, flashlight, etc, and a regular stick. About .5-1 inch in diameter and around 26-30 inches long. I am gonna talk about regular sticks since I feel they are the most left out.

My favorite stick are those that are cheap rattan. Light and fast. If it were choice between an ASP or one of these to fight a group I would take th rattan all day long. They are fast and reflexive. I have them all over my house and one next to the drivers seat in each car for any problems I should encounter while getting gas. You can also get a nice light aluminum cane from a drug store.

I have too primary targets for the stick, the face and the hands. Both are exposed even in cool weather. I attack them using what I call a snipe. Here is how to practice it. Take a tennis ball and poke a hole through it using a screwdriver. Then push a piece of parachute cord through and hang it up in a garage or a tree. Hang it just about 6 feet of the ground to mimic the face of an attacker. With your stick down at your side (relaxed) practice snapping it towards the tennis ball from different angles. You want it to snap like a whip, the last two inches or so on the stick are what you strike with.

You will be amazed at how fast and accurate you get. Imagine the feeling of having a stick cracked across your face like that. When you do target the face the hands will naturally come up to protect. Then target them, a good whack to the back of the hands can disable your attacker. You can also feint for a ball tap and strike the face when they hollow out.

Strikes on the side of the wrists and elbows can also render arms useless.

Don't over look this simple and effective weapon.- George
    Last edited by mercop; December 30th, 2009 at 11:40 PM.

VIP Member
    Take a tennis ball and poke a hole through it using a screwdriver. Then push a piece of parachute cord through and hang it up in a garage or a tree. Hang it just about 6 feet of the ground to mimic the face of an attacker. With your stick down at your side (relaxed) practice snapping it towards the tennis ball from different angles. You want it to snap like a whip, the last two inches or so on the stick are what you strike with.
    Many years ago, long before I got my CPL, I seriously injured my back. That is a long story of youthful stupidity. However, I was on a cane for for almost a year. I was young and full of vinegar, but absolutely NOT able to move away from a confrontation with any speed. I was concerned about my safety and took to almost exactly the same practice (I used an old tether-ball).

To this day I keep that beat up old cane next to the front door.

Thanks for the great post, mercop!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    A cane can be a wonderful weapon. When I was in Korea - 75/76 we had a martial arts instructor that had been handicapped during the war and had to use a cane. He would take on three at a time and in about 2 seconds had all three on the floor.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Was the second DVD I did and I thought it would be very popular since everyone can carry a stick of some sort, or at least have them around.

Here are some thoughts on the stick. No I am not talking about any martial arts. I am not talking about your favorite set of fighting sticks. I am talking about two types of stick. Yawara Bo size (Kubaton size) like pens, flashlight, etc, and a regular stick. About .5-1 inch in diameter and around 26-30 inches long. I am gonna talk about regular sticks since I feel they are the most left out.

My favorite stick are those that are cheap rattan. Light and fast. If it were choice between an ASP or one of these to fight a group I would take th rattan all day long. They are fast and reflexive. I have them all over my house and one next to the drivers seat in each car for any problems I should encounter while getting gas. You can also get a nice light aluminum cane from a drug store.

I have too primary targets for the stick, the face and the hands. Both are exposed even in cool weather. I attack them using what I call a snipe. Here is how to practice it. Take a tennis ball and poke a hole through it using a screwdriver. Then push a piece of parachute cord through and hang it up in a garage or a tree. Hang it just about 6 feet of the ground to mimic the face of an attacker. With your stick down at your side (relaxed) practice snapping it towards the tennis ball from different angles. You want it to snap like a whip, the last two inches or so on the stick are what you strike with.

You will be amazed at how fast and accurate you get. Imagine the feeling of having a stick cracked across your face like that. When you do target the face the hands will naturally come up to protect. Then target them, a good whack to the back of the hands can disable your attacker. You can also feint for a ball tap and strike the face when they hollow out.

Strikes on the side of the wrists and elbows can also render arms useless.

Don't over look this simple and effect weapon.- George
    Nice informative post, something to think about. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Interesting post,

Definitely food for thought!!! IT has got to be painful.

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

George, IMHO Good thread. I usually carry a "stick" when I am out & about. I carry them solely for PD ( although they do add to my "kilted" look)
    1. a Staff ( 2 custom carved wood )
    2. a "Cane" ( 2 custom wood w/ antler handles )
    3. a "Cane" ( 1 Dress Ebony w/silver "final"

BTW, in my NRA RTBAV class we disscus carrying "sticks"

Puffer

I really like teaching it but nobody seems to request it.

For those who know, how would a stick compare to OC spray as a defense tool, pro and cons of each?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

There really is no comparison. A stick is a contact distance weapon that will most likely effect the central nervous and structural systems of the body. OC spray effects only the mucus membranes.

IMHO the stick has no non- ballistic rival against multiple opponents. It is my favorite tool for unknown situations. - George

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    For those who know, how would a stick compare to OC spray as a defense tool, pro and cons of each?
    IMO, assuming you are well trained in both OC and stick (and I'm assuming the 30" stick, not the yawara), you are generally much better off with the stick, especially against a determined and/or armed attacker. You simply have more options with the stick, including potentially disarming your attacker.

The advantage of OC is that one is more likely to be carrying it.

I took a defensive folding knife course in which I got to attack John Holschen (two time winner of the National Tactical Invitational) with a dummy knife while he defended with a padded stick. I gave him no respect and went at him full force (I have 20 years TKD, boxing, Judo experience and a lot of competition experience, though it has been many years since I actively practiced). It was no contest--stick won.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

If each man is equally skilled stick beats knife:)

I have kind of gone in reverse on this stuff. My first civilian police job was with the Baltimore School Police. It was a rough two years. Baltimore has 134 schools and it's own police department with about 90 officers. When I was there in the early 90's I was one of 8 white officers. We were issued Beretta 92s but officers assigned to the schools were not allowed to be armed. We locked our guns up and even though it did not say so in our procedures our ASP was our highest force option in the schools.

We had OC too but you learned real fast that you hand to control the collateral damage and that is hard with OC. Most of the kids were decent and spraying OC would leave a crowd of choking kids running to the nurses office. You learned to do a lot with the stick that they did not cover in training like moving crowds, and breaking up fights from the rear (using the stick to peel people off) You also learned fast not to hold your stick over your head because it would be grabbed from behind and taken from you.

There were four times when you could expect huge problems to erupt, especially between gangs.
    1) Before school as kids gathered (kinda like the yard in prison)
    2) Cafeteria (again like prison)
    3) Sporting events (especially basketball games) Usually when the gym was clearing out.
    4) Dismissal (the time when outsiders would park close buy to start fights and some drivebys) We were armed at dismissal for this reason.

I had spent a lot of time using the stick before getting useful training and long before starting my research. The same thing goes for my ideas on shooting. It is easier to look at a problem you have actually had and find solutions than try to make scenarios up in your head.

The truth is that few cultures know more about the realistic use of fighting with a stick than the Irish. Shellilagh Law has a long proud tradition in Ireland. There was a time were just about everyone carried stick. They were used for settling disputes. Goes back to the idea that an armed society is a polite society. If you live in a culture in which you know that a man carrying a stick likely knows how to use it then you leave him alone.

It is no surprise that when the Irish came to the US and became the backbones our large metropolitan police departments like New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Chicago they brought their love of the stick with them. A great example is the Espantoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia from Baltimore.

When you talk about using a stick for self-defense most people site Kali/Escrima. I have dabbled in both, but IMHO they have little to do with the practical use of one stick for fighting. Instead I will continue to concentrate what has been successful to me, knowing when and how to use one stick, even in a crowd, and continuing my study of the stick by my ancestors. Few people in the US know more about the effective use of a stick than police, at least the old timers.- George

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I agree with you on the Arnis thing, George. It definitely has some interesting bits to it but there tends to be a strong focus on dual sticks in most systems and a certain "flashiness" comes with many practitioners training. The style I was introduced to had only five strikes (45 down inside/outside, horizontal, and inside/outside thrusts) and specifically used only one stick or knife at a time. Having seen it used to brutal effect by a friend against three guys trying to steal his bicycle (I thought his stick was a tire pump) it was rather interesting to hear him say, "My mom teaches Arnis" when other demos of the FMA styles I had seen were much more "cool" looking.

Speaking of, any advisories on a good non-rattan stick for us, George? This thread has me thinking that I really need to get back into swinging some wood around again. Being 6" 3" means that I need a bit more length than 26-30" to be able to casually hand off a "it's a walking stick" explanation.
    Last edited by psychophipps; December 31st, 2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added a qualifier to a question.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    I really like teaching it but nobody seems to request it.
    If you were closer I'd work out with you, and have you teach my wife as well.

I love sticks and staffs.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Here is the type of cane handle I prefer. Everything I do with the tomahawk I can do with it.
    Buy Mabis Designer Folding Adjustable Cane, Green Ice Online at riteaidonlinestore.com

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links