Rescue Tool vs. Knife

Rescue Tool vs. Knife

This is a discussion on Rescue Tool vs. Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys think about carrying more "full-featured" rescue tools like these instead of knives? New American Truth Magazine - A Contemporary Common Sense ...

Thread: Rescue Tool vs. Knife

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Rescue Tool vs. Knife

What do you guys think about carrying more "full-featured" rescue tools like these instead of knives?

New American Truth Magazine - A Contemporary Common Sense Publication

My rescue knife when I was working was and is my Al Mar SERE 2000. I cut people out of seat belts, cut down hanging victims down, all kinds of stuff. What I never did with it was break a window.

Who are they marketing these tools too? Not the fireman, he has dedicated tools for the job. If it is for police and citizens they really need to do a better job of emphasizing the need to wear gloves when you use these or you will shred you hands. The best way to break a window is to snap an antenna against it.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    . The best way to break a window is to snap an antenna against it.- George
    You are a old school man Mr George. Aim for the corner and turn your head. I love to use a center punch. Normally carry one around in each of my cars. They have many uses. You could also use old spark plug or polcelian tile to break a window.

Many years ago going home from work late at night with Mom and Dad on highway doing 55+ just looking out the side window as we are talking about work. Something catches my eye for a 1/2 second.

So quick that I am not sure what I saw. I think it is a blinking light. I have my father get off next exit and loop back around and turn around again. We stop the car at the spot that I thought I saw the light. I jump out and see a overturned car.

It turns out a old man driving a Taurus make a 90 degree turn right into a the guard rail and blows out the headlights, flips the car over the guard rail into really really tall grass. You could not even see the car. I must of caught the last blink of the turn signal before bulb burnt out.

All doors and locked and the OM is hanging from seat belt upside down. I grab the tire iron out of the trunk of our car, as parents dial 911. Jump back into the grass, I blow out the rear passanger window. I take off my shirt throw it onto the broken glass and crawl inside to turn off the key and see if he is OK.

Police and EMS show up, I step out of picture so the Pros can do their thing. Few days later I wake up with poision ivy on arms, chest and back. Next time I keep shirt on and center punch in the car.

Some of the ones I've used at work:

TheFireStore.com: RES-Q-ME Personal rescue key chain size tool
    (currently in the cars of all my family members)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...0801&training=
    (currently in my gear bag at the FD)

CHOATE Machine & Tool, Inc. - Car Rescue Tool
    (Got one at SHOT, wrote a review on it somewhere, Don't need it much myself, but the family up north might)

My feeling is you can make anything work, use whatever you want, just keep it where you can get to it. It's worthless in your "old knife and holster and magazines for guns you don't own anymore" drawer. The ResQme is issued to every state trooper, and I keep it looped around the turn signal lever on a piece of 550 cord.

My entry tool of choice for, glass, metal, doors, skulls...ya know...whatever. If I am not on an airplane this is in my Bag of Evil.

Precision glass cutting with RMJ Shrike | Modern Combative Systems Blog

I don't see how I could use the tool in a self-defense situation, unless I throw it at the BG. I would keep one in the car for an emergency, but for defense I prefer to carry a knife.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    TheFireStore.com: Gerber: Hinderer Firefighter Rescue Knife, Serrated Blade

I like this but don't have any special knife. Why are all the cool toys so expensive?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I think im going to order one of those ResQme tools, inexpensive and so practical. Thanks for sharing Superhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I don't see how I could use the tool in a self-defense situation, unless I throw it at the BG. I would keep one in the car for an emergency, but for defense I prefer to carry a knife.
    You mean the hawk?

Kershaw Blur comes in a rescue model. Also the Sog Flash 2 comes in a rescue which is still a very effective utility and SD knife if its the only one you carry. The COP TOOL is decent from boker, Wilson makes one in the tanto style blade. I think at some point if you have to carry only a rescue tool it becomes an improvised weapons issue.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Who are they marketing these tools too? Not the fireman, he has dedicated tools for the job. If it is for police and citizens they really need to do a better job of emphasizing the need to wear gloves when you use these or you will shred you hands. The best way to break a window is to snap an antenna against it.- George
    My entry tool of choice for, glass, metal, doors, skulls...ya know...whatever. If I am not on an airplane this is in my Bag of Evil.

Precision glass cutting with RMJ Shrike | Modern Combative Systems Blog
    Very true. Ive often looked at various rescue knives and often thought... "I already have all this stuff in my turnout coat, on my helmet, or right in the rescue truck." Although it wouldnt be bad to have in case I come across an accident while driving. But as you also mentioned you need gloves or you yourself will become a patient. Overall I cant justify the expense of some of these specialized knives.

Just in case anyone was interested to know, the glass dust created while cutting through a windshield can be VERY irritating to anyone in the vehicle. (Ask me how I know )
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    TheFireStore.com: Gerber: Hinderer Firefighter Rescue Knife, Serrated Blade

I like this but don't have any special knife. Why are all the cool toys so expensive?
    Save yourself 10 bucks and get the CLS:

TheFireStore.com: Gerber: Hinderer CLS- Combat Life Saver, Serrated Blade

Unless of course the red is appealing. I had a CLS, it grew legs while otj...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Sponsored Links