Gerber Knives

This is a discussion on Gerber Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SOG 2 flash that I carry and like . I also got this Gerber as a Gift this year This is first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Knives

Gerber Knives

I have a SOG 2 flash that I carry and like .

I also got this Gerber as a Gift this year

This is first Gerber how do they hold up ?

I am thinking about rotating from carrying Sog and Gerber.

Both of these knives are for defensive carry only.

The Gerber is slightly smaller than the Sog 2

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    I have a SOG 2 flash that I carry and like .

I also got this Gerber as a Gift this year

This is first Gerber how do they hold up ?

I am thinking about rotating from carrying Sog and Gerber.

Both of these knives are for defensive carry only.

The Gerber is slightly smaller than the Sog 2
    Depends on the Gerber model. What is it? I have the Gerber LMF II and it's been a work horse that has taken a heck of a beating over the last 2 years or so. I used that as my primary trail/hunting/bugout knife for quite a while now.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Not my choice for SD because there are no trainers/drones available. Think Spyderco Endura- George

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Depends on the Gerber model. What is it? I have the Gerber LMF II and it's been a work horse that has taken a heck of a beating over the last 2 years or so. I used that as my primary trail/hunting/bugout knife for quite a while now.
    Gerber Fast Draw

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Hot Wing.....I was given one for Christmas also. Didn't really know a lot about it but seems to be a pretty good knife. How will it hold up....only time will tell. Mine is the 3" Presto Fast Draw.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I have one that is five years old. It has been a good knife. Sharpens easily and holds and edge well. My primary reason for a knife is not SD but utility. If I was looking for SD I would look at different knives than I have, but I would look at other Gerber models while I was looking.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have a couple Gerber E-Z out's that I edc'd for years , one from the early '90s thats been to hell and back yet still locks up tight, also takes and holds a fine edge pretty well.
    In my experience many Gerbers are a Lot tougher then they look even though many models may not use the highest end steels, But they are well heat treated/tempered which Does make a difference ..as with BUCK knives.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

I carry 4 different Gerber knives. I love Gerber knives; they are very durable and keep a edge very well. I recommend carrying it for a while and just seeing how it feels.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Gerbers have always been great for me. They make quality equipment.
    Walk softly ...

Gerbers run the gamut from cheap Chinese junk to some of the best knives money can buy. Check where it's made, and what kind of steel is used. The info isn't always listed on their website, but if you email them an inquiry, they'll usually get back to you within 24-hours.

I used to swear by the Paraframe, until they started making them in China. Now they won't hold an edge or sharpen.

Even some of their "high-end" knives are made in China and with only 440-stainless, so get the details. Look for s30v for your steel, or AUS6 or 8.

Was issued a Gerber 06 which is great, but it's auto, thus illegal for civi carry in Missouri. Was looking at the 06 Fast Tanto, as an alternative for when I'm out of uniform. Despite it's $100+ price tag, it's Chinese junk. So even some of their knives in the same series may be vastly different in their quality and workmanship. Do your research. Buy American.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

+1 to HardCorps79 I see mostly cheap Gerber junk now. I could never get the 2 I owned sharp. Get an Emerson or a ZeroTolerance
    Ruger 3" SP-101 .357 mag
    Springfield XD subcompact .40 cal
    S&W 642 .38 spl
    S&W sigma .40 compact
    colt .38 spl detective special

I agree with HC

I have seen Gerbers that were made in Italy, Japan, and China. I have a 20 year old USA Gerber that is a fine knife. I bought another one from Wally World that was Chinese junk. There are a ton of cheap Chinese counterfeit knives out there. A guy I know paid a lot of money for an Al Mar knife ($120) but when he sent it to the manufacturer for a repair they informed him it was a fake. You don't always get what you pay for. I'll not buy another knife unless I can physically touch and feel it. Just my $.03.

Self defence for a Paraframe means throwing it at them. No matter how long I try I cant get a decent edge on it. Gave up & bought a Buck Vantage Pro with S30V steel blade for $43

check out mission knives.

I carry two Gerbers.

I have been carrying a Gerber Fast Draw for EDC only use for about three years now. Since I have never had a situation in which I had to use it don't truly know good it would be.

What I can say good about it is: it's extremely sharp; I like a spear shape blade for EDC; it opens easily and fast; it has a strong clip; the handle fits my hand well especially in the blade up position; it seems very strong; it has virtually no looseness at the pivot; the blade lock is very positive; I haven't gotten it very wet, but it has no rust; it cost less than $35; I trust it to its job if I ever need it.

The only thing negative that I can say about it (and it's not really that bad) is: almost always if I drop it while it's closed, when it hits the floor it pops open and locks. Actually, maybe that could be good!
    Gerber Fast Draw Spring Assisted, Serrated Edge - #22-07161 : Gerber Knives - at Rocky National

I also carry a Gerber EAB folding utility knife that I use a lot. Just keep it loose in my front pocket - I don't use the clip.

What I can say good about it is: its light, small, strong, can be opened and closed with one hand, never have to sharpen it, it is inexpensive - less than $15.

Nothing bad to say at all about the EAB.
    Gerber New EAB Pocket Knife - #22-41830 : Gerber Knives - at Rocky National

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links