I need advice concerning a SD knife

This is a discussion on I need advice concerning a SD knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to get a SD knife but my knowledge about the topic is very limited. For that reason I wonder if any of you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice concerning a SD knife

GM [OP]

Arrow I need advice concerning a SD knife

I want to get a SD knife but my knowledge about the topic is very limited. For that reason I wonder if any of you have experience about the C.U.B. Master's Model Tactical Knife | Knives | 5.11 Tactical . Thank you in advance for all your help
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Just my personal opinion and some will disagree but, there are genuine, substantial, real, and valid reasons why historically (& for thousands of years) "KNIVES" have looked like traditional knives and NOT like BANANAS.

You're first investment should be in a edged weapons self defense class. Fighting with an edged weapon is not a tri-fold pamphlet instructions activity. That may change your thought process into more of a firearms approach. After the class you will also have a better knowledge base to make a choice of knife.

That's a karambit style knife. If you don't plan on taking any kind of Filipino martial arts or self defensive classes, I don't think that's the knife for you.

IMO, you're better off with a good Benchmade or something like the Spyderco Wave for a nice quality knife.

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just my personal opinion and some will disagree but, there are genuine, substantial, real, and valid reasons why historically (& for thousands of years) "KNIVES" have looked like traditional knives and NOT like BANANAS.
    That was a good one! Thanks to you there is coffee all over my desk
    BTW, I see your point.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Karambits are knives that require some training to be even moderately effective with. Additionally, they look exotic and dangerous. I would prefer to have a more-innocuous looking Spyderco Delica, which is just as efficient in self-defense and more utilitarian.

i have that knife; i carry it everyday. i use it for work, opening boxes, cutting ties, and other mundane things. i carry it weak side.

it is a specialized knife, like others have said. it doesn't mean it's not useufl for utility purposes. for self defense, it's pretty nasty. you can't stab with it, but you sure can slash/rip/tear/hook/slice with it.

the finger ring is larger than those on other karambit style knives; if you have big mitts, or wear gloves, this is good. the Emerson karambit has a smaller ring.

the Journeyman is blade heavy, the Master's model is grip heavy.

Benchmade Gravitator

After reading an article where Michael Janich talked about Wharncliffe style blades as being tops for SD, I went on a search for one that I liked. Finally decided on the Benchmade Gravitator Model425. It is discontinued and hard to find but a very well built knife and also a great EDC. can use it for just about anything.

Administrator

Wink

Show me an adversary with a Karambit "in hand" and I'll show you a predictable opponent that has absolutely no viable knife/weapon wielding option but to slash.
    I'm just sayin'

Administrator

Addition:

A bit of knife history.
    The first "karambit" style knives were not folders.
    They were "fixed blade" "claw" knives designed by a few custom makers in the very early '90s back when the modern renditions of the "push daggers" were also coming back into vogue.

One "claw style" was designed by knife-maker Curtis Jones originally intended to be some sort of weird working "Trout" AKA fish knife.

The others were "fantasy" trend style knives in a claw-blade (claw as in Lion~Tiger~Leopard~Claw) configuration and made by custom makers like William Keeton and Michael Yurco.

I don't believe they were ever originally intended to be anything more than potential "unique looking knife show entries."

Somehow, and in some unknown (to me) way the "extreme-claw-style" caught on and then along came the "karambit folder" and this whole "karambit fighting knife" school ended up being built up around that particular blade style.

Call me "old fashioned" but, a self limiting, idiosyncratic, knife/blade configuration just ain't for me no matter how enamored some folks happened get with it.

Possibly I'm just behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You're first investment should be in a edged weapons self defense class. Fighting with an edged weapon is not a tri-fold pamphlet instructions activity. That may change your thought process into more of a firearms approach. After the class you will also have a better knowledge base to make a choice of knife.
    +1 on this advice. I too recently entered the SD knife zone and am looking for some good training opportunities.

As for the knife itself, look into the "tactical folder" category, I'm sure if you explore the board, you will find plenty of opinions on everybody's EDC gear. Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I want to get a SD knife but my knowledge about the topic is very limited.
    In that case, I'd recommend you start with something like this:
    Endura 4 Trainer - Non-Sharpened "Drone"

Whether or not there is a trainer available that can at least approximate your live blade is an important consideration when choosing a knife for SD.

There are a number of knives in the Spyderco line that the Endura trainer can act as a stand in for. The Endura, of course, also the Military, Police, Wayne Goddard, J.D. Smith, etc..

I would urge you to start with a more "traditional" style blade. I have a Karambit with assisted opening and these guys will cut you faster than they will an opponent. Check out Blade HQ for a wide selection of folders, assisted and automatics.Buck (Auto) - Side Opening Automatics - Blade HQ
    Just my $.02
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Others have already mentioned Spyderco and pointed out the importance of having a trainer (preferably an exact copy). You can easily buy a Spyderco Endura or Delica and a trainer for less than what you'd spend on that Kerambit.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

GM [OP]
    Yes, I think that you are right when you say that a Karambit is not a very good idea. I will get a more “traditional” knife, and not a bananas-knife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links