Defensive Carry banner

I need advice concerning a SD knife

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mercop 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Just my personal opinion and some will disagree but, there are genuine, substantial, real, and valid reasons why historically (& for thousands of years) "KNIVES" have looked like traditional knives and NOT like BANANAS.

#3 ·
You're first investment should be in a edged weapons self defense class. Fighting with an edged weapon is not a tri-fold pamphlet instructions activity. That may change your thought process into more of a firearms approach. After the class you will also have a better knowledge base to make a choice of knife.

#11 ·
+1 on this advice. I too recently entered the SD knife zone and am looking for some good training opportunities.

As for the knife itself, look into the "tactical folder" category, I'm sure if you explore the board, you will find plenty of opinions on everybody's EDC gear. Good luck...

#4 ·
That's a karambit style knife. If you don't plan on taking any kind of Filipino martial arts or self defensive classes, I don't think that's the knife for you.

IMO, you're better off with a good Benchmade or something like the Spyderco Wave for a nice quality knife.

#7 ·
i have that knife; i carry it everyday. i use it for work, opening boxes, cutting ties, and other mundane things. i carry it weak side.

it is a specialized knife, like others have said. it doesn't mean it's not useufl for utility purposes. for self defense, it's pretty nasty. you can't stab with it, but you sure can slash/rip/tear/hook/slice with it.

the finger ring is larger than those on other karambit style knives; if you have big mitts, or wear gloves, this is good. the Emerson karambit has a smaller ring.

the Journeyman is blade heavy, the Master's model is grip heavy.

#8 ·
Benchmade Gravitator

After reading an article where Michael Janich talked about Wharncliffe style blades as being tops for SD, I went on a search for one that I liked. Finally decided on the Benchmade Gravitator Model425. It is discontinued and hard to find but a very well built knife and also a great EDC. can use it for just about anything.

#9 ·
Show me an adversary with a Karambit "in hand" and I'll show you a predictable opponent that has absolutely no viable knife/weapon wielding option but to slash.
I'm just sayin' :slap:

#10 ·
Addition:

A bit of knife history.
The first "karambit" style knives were not folders.
They were "fixed blade" "claw" knives designed by a few custom makers in the very early '90s back when the modern renditions of the "push daggers" were also coming back into vogue.

One "claw style" was designed by knife-maker Curtis Jones originally intended to be some sort of weird working "Trout" AKA fish knife.

The others were "fantasy" trend style knives in a claw-blade (claw as in Lion~Tiger~Leopard~Claw) configuration and made by custom makers like William Keeton and Michael Yurco.

I don't believe they were ever originally intended to be anything more than potential "unique looking knife show entries."

Somehow, and in some unknown (to me) way the "extreme-claw-style" caught on and then along came the "karambit folder" and this whole "karambit fighting knife" school ended up being built up around that particular blade style.

Call me "old fashioned" but, a self limiting, idiosyncratic, knife/blade configuration just ain't for me no matter how enamored some folks happened get with it.

Possibly I'm just behind the times.

#12 ·
I want to get a SD knife but my knowledge about the topic is very limited.
In that case, I'd recommend you start with something like this:
Endura 4 Trainer - Non-Sharpened "Drone"

Whether or not there is a trainer available that can at least approximate your live blade is an important consideration when choosing a knife for SD.

There are a number of knives in the Spyderco line that the Endura trainer can act as a stand in for. The Endura, of course, also the Military, Police, Wayne Goddard, J.D. Smith, etc..

#13 ·
I would urge you to start with a more "traditional" style blade. I have a Karambit with assisted opening and these guys will cut you faster than they will an opponent. Check out Blade HQ for a wide selection of folders, assisted and automatics.Buck (Auto) - Side Opening Automatics - Blade HQ
Just my $.02

#14 ·
Others have already mentioned Spyderco and pointed out the importance of having a trainer (preferably an exact copy). You can easily buy a Spyderco Endura or Delica and a trainer for less than what you'd spend on that Kerambit.

#15 ·
Yes, I think that you are right when you say that a Karambit is not a very good idea. I will get a more “traditional” knife, and not a bananas-knife:danceban:

#16 ·
my mother uses a Karambit while
working in her gardens. the one she has
only has one finger hole, & is about a foot
in overall lenght.i seen her put it upto a dudes
neck, who was in the yard univited. in hands
that know how to use one, a Karambit can be
the BIZ MAN ! but, you would be wise to start
with a different style knife.and make sure you
know how to handle the blade before... deployment on a BG.someone might take it from you, & use it on you .

#17 ·
It looks "exotic", but not too practical for EDC.

I'm as far from a defensive knive knife expert as you can get, but that doen't look to great for defensive use to me.

It does look really good for pull-cutting, i.e. box opening, cutting flooring materials, leather, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.