I cant stand stupid laws.

I cant stand stupid laws.

This is a discussion on I cant stand stupid laws. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just venting. I was a submit button away from ordering a Ka-Bar TDI knife last night when i thought i should check NC knife laws ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant stand stupid laws.

Angry I cant stand stupid laws.

Just venting. I was a submit button away from ordering a Ka-Bar TDI knife last night when i thought i should check NC knife laws first. Low and behold, cannot carry a fixed blade knife "concealed", only a pocket knife folder with a blade of 3" or less. WTH, why do they have rules like this ????
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Not that it's any consolation, but NC is definitly not the only state with the same or similar laws.

Man, how much easier would life be if we didn't feel compelled to follow the laws.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    I'm assuming your CC permit doesn't include knives? Sorry, that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that the permit makes it OK to carry a gun, but not a knife.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Same reason some states have rules that prohibit CC in a polling place or (in LA) at a parade. Some politician decided to write a feel-good law that he could milk.

Texas has some very silly knife laws as well. For example, any knife, folding or not, that is double edged, is considered a "dirk", and is illegal to carry. This means my double-beveled Gerber Covert Folder is legal, so long as the second bevel is dull, but if I were to sharpen it (or order it sharpened), it magically becomes an illegal knife.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I'm assuming your CC permit doesn't include knives? Sorry, that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that the permit makes it OK to carry a gun, but not a knife.
    Nope, it is only a CC handgun permit. Doesnt make much sense. Oh well, i've got a few nice folders, just thought it would be different to carry a fixed blade once in awhile. Technically my SOG and Kershaw are illegal too since they are spring-assisted opening.
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Not that it's any consolation, but NC is definitly not the only state with the same or similar laws.

Man, how much easier would life be if we didn't feel compelled to follow the laws.
    "Too many laws makes scofflaws of us all".

Fortunately Missouri CCW covers "a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use".

RSMo 571
    Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.
    571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

Subdivisions (1) ...of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Sorry to hear NC has such a stupid provision. In MO I can't carry my auto knife out of uniform. Sucks.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    Just venting. I was a submit button away from ordering a Ka-Bar TDI knife last night when i thought i should check NC knife laws first. Low and behold, cannot carry a fixed blade knife "concealed", only a pocket knife folder with a blade of 3" or less. WTH, why do they have rules like this ????
    It's even better than you think. There is no NC statute that specifies that a 3 inch blade is acceptable, only that

""ordinary pocket knife" means a
    small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
    which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
    its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
    explosive, or spring action... "

As to the length, the only case law on length of a pocket knife states that a knife with a 4.5" overall length (this means open) was found to be a pocket knife so your looking at more in the lines of a 2 inch blade being the max acceptable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It's even better than you think. There is no NC statute that specifies that a 3 inch blade is acceptable, only that

""ordinary pocket knife" means a
    small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
    which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
    its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
    explosive, or spring action... "

As to the length, the only case law on length of a pocket knife states that a knife with a 4.5" overall length (this means open) was found to be a pocket knife so your looking at more in the lines of a 2 inch blade being the max acceptable so far.
    That's rediculous. I see people everywhere everyday carrying folders clipped to their pocket that is at least 3" in length. Must be one of those few things that LE overlooks unless you do something stupid and than it could be pinned against you.

1*

NRA Member

Said it before and will say it again. There are more knife laws than gun laws. Probably because in some states towns can pass ordinances regarding knife without attracting to much attention.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Well what you have to realise is that people hardly see guns as politically correct and they don't see why we as citizens and even Law Enforcement need to use knives as defensive weapons. Its sad really but the truth is they don't see why we need guns AND knives.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

And who are "THEY" anyway.....Bilderberg ???? I hate that there is always this sense of immortalism running our country, nobody here walks on water. Who are "they" to tell me what i can and cannot do ?? This really pisses me off. It's fine to poison foods with pesticides and release medications and vaccinations that have serious adverse reactions, but i cant walk around my town with a fixed blade knife under my jacket.

1*

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Would knives be considered in the 2A??? I would think so. "arms" would seem to me to be an all inclusive term for weapons for self defense. Maybe we should start pushing that more as well. Include knives in our push to protect the RTKBA.
    Walk softly ...

Would knives be considered in the 2A??? I would think so. "arms" would seem to me to be an all inclusive term for weapons for self defense. Maybe we should start pushing that more as well. Include knives in our push to protect the RTKBA.
    +1
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

I have pointed this out on a few different forums. When the 2nd Amendment was written swords, pikes, spears and knives were all used by ordinary citizens. Even bows at times. We allow the anti's to define what arms is and they are successfully defining legal weapons out of existence.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links