Finding ways to protect wife while I am deployed to Afghanistan...Less-than-lethal. - Page 2

Finding ways to protect wife while I am deployed to Afghanistan...Less-than-lethal.

This is a discussion on Finding ways to protect wife while I am deployed to Afghanistan...Less-than-lethal. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot Don't have much to offer you here, It's sad that she knows your away, she has a 9 yr old to ...

View Poll Results: For the Home Defense Pepper spray unit which spray pattern should be used???

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stream Spray Pattern.

25 60.98%
  • Fog/Mist Spray Pattern.

8 19.51%
  • Other....Please post your idea of you choose this option.

10 24.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding ways to protect wife while I am deployed to Afghanistan...Less-than-lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Don't have much to offer you here,
    It's sad that she knows your away, she has a 9 yr old to safeguard against possible evil, and yet still persists in the belief that SHE, Is not responsible for her own safety , and the well being of YOUr child while you are not there.

I think you misunderstand. She wants to protect herself and our son but she also knows what she is and is not capable of handling too. Some people just aren't good with firearms. I have even seen this in the service too. She and I grew up in totally different types of households so we were exposed to very different things while growing up and in turn have differing comfort levels with various things. I believe that in time I will have made her comfortable enough with firearms to go shooting with me and even let me train her with them but I also realize that if I push her too hard too sudden then I will turn her off to it altogether. I see it as a delicate situation that shouldn't be rushed.

The nice thing was that when I talked to her tonight about it she seemed like she was all for it. She was the one that actually suggested that I possibly get one for our son and we could both make sure he knows how to use it in addition to her. I kind of liked that it was she that came up with that idea.

Your wife is in a better mindset than many firearms owners who think they know what they will do in response to a threat.- George

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Nearly 8,000 home invasions happen every day in this country. Pepper Spray is a good start but you need to get her mind switched... a rapist or BG might get even more angry after pepper sprayed ESPECIAL when on drugs... (roid rage) shotgun or revolver
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Nearly 8,000 home invasions happen every day in this country. Pepper Spray is a good start but you need to get her mind switched... a rapist or BG might get even more angry after pepper sprayed ESPECIAL when on drugs... (roid rage) shotgun or revolver
    I plan to work on her situational awareness and ability to protect herself without any weapons in the future but am somewhat backed into a corner right now. Eventually I will be able to teach her basic handgun proficiency, then the 4 positions, railing out, failure to stop, and all that jazz but I am already "gone" and it won't be before I officially deploy.

As far as the whole "ticking the rapist off even more" scenario I look at it this way. If she doesn't spray or otherwise defend herself then she is 100% guaranteed to get harmed or raped. At least if she uses the spray on the guy then the chances that he will bug out or be less able to focus on attacking her are better. Maybe I am putting a little too much faith in the affects of OC and pepper spray but I would figure that more often than not a BG would be less able to attack her after being sprayed than before. That is also why I plan to get her a bigger can of the stuff for the house so she can spray the ever-lovin-**** out of him if she has to.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Your wife is in a better mindset than many firearms owners who think they know what they will do in response to a threat.- George

Thanks George.

No secret that I am not an OC fan. If you use it make sure both your wife and son get a spritz before leaving them with it. Do either of them wear contacts? OC can do some serious damage when caught behind the lens.- George

No secret that I am not an OC fan. If you use it make sure both your wife and son get a spritz before leaving them with it. Do either of them wear contacts? OC can do some serious damage when caught behind the lens.- George

Unfortunately I don't think that would be an option for either of them. I would have better luck convincing my wife to do a 5 way orgy than I would get her to willingly spray herself with OC.

She does wear contacts during the day. That will be one item I will make sure to remind her about when I am going through the do's and dont's with this stuff.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Taser.

Spray in a house and you'll get some yourself.
    Just transporting someone in a car in handcuffs in the back seat that has been sprayed is enough to make you want to cry.

Buy a Taser,they come with videos and teach her to use it.
    +1. I think that the Taser is a better unit and better choice.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Has anyone else here ever used a Taser or are you just going off of the marketing. Carrying OC an agent that is enginerred to cause respiratory distressing without being hit with a little is just asking for problems.

Does Taser have any cases of civilian use of their product? For every one you can dig up I will give you three cases of failure during police use.- George

VIP Member
    Has anyone else here ever used a Taser or are you just going off of the marketing. Carrying OC an agent that is enginerred to cause respiratory distressing without being hit with a little is just asking for problems.

Does Taser have any cases of civilian use of their product? For every one you can dig up I will give you three cases of failure during police use.- George
    I've used it twice, once on a fleeing felon and once in the confined space of a living room with a guy that was enraged and bowing up to 4 of us officers, 6'5" 220, he dropped like a sack of potatoes....then tried to get up instead of putting his hands behind his back so he got five more seconds.....that 2nd ride convinced him to put his hands behind his back as we were requesting

our department doesn't have any failures, not counting when a probe misses as a failure, I'm not sure how many times thats happened but it does, just like not getting the OC on target enough to deter at attacker

I'm 6'4" 210 and when I got hit with it I was locked up head to toe for five seconds and all I could do is scream

I know Taser has some cases where the civilian model was presented and deterred the attacker but I haven't searched for stories of actual use by a non-LEO
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

O.C. might and I do mean might work against a Cat Burglar or a Rapist but in a home invasion situation....no good. Most home invasions are done usually by 3 or 4 suspects. O.C. is going to be ineffective in that type of situation.

Home invasions are becoming more popular with the criminal element. One of my students had a co-worker that was recently a victim of a home invasion right before Christmas. He was sitting in his house at night watching television when his front door was kicked in. 4 gang bangers entered his house and all were armed with handguns. One suspect made him get down on his face while the other three ransacked his house for valuables. When they were done they dragged his butt to his bedroom and threw the mattress over him. He thought they were going to shoot him but instead they ran out of the house. He was scared as hell. Luckily his wife and kids were not home at the time. That could have been worse.

So you have to ask yourself is O.C. really going to protect your wife and kids when you are not home? I say NO. Get a firearm and train your wife and kid, if he or she is old enough, on how to use it. I say a shotgun would be more feasible for home defense for your wife but a small handgun would work as well. Don't waste a moment.....times are getting bad and they are only going to get worse.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Good luck in the sand box. A big dog with a protective nature (e.g. Akita, Rot, Doberman, German Shepard) would be my advice. Get her a puppy, she won't be able to resist it. After your deployment, it will be a good protective dog. No way to speed that up unless you find an older dog, but they can be someone else's problem.
    A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

BC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links