Tanto vs. conventional blade

This is a discussion on Tanto vs. conventional blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering what your thoughts are concerning tanto style blades vs conventional blade styles. I'm thinking of buying a folder of some sort, mostly for ...

Thread: Tanto vs. conventional blade

Just wondering what your thoughts are concerning tanto style blades vs conventional blade styles. I'm thinking of buying a folder of some sort, mostly for SD. I kind of like the looks of the tanto style blade, but wondered if there are any real benefits or drawbacks to this style compared to a regular curved blade.
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    GLOCK G27 (on duty backup and off duty EDC)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11
    "Because homeland security begins at home"

I would be less concerned about the blade type and more about the knife itself. My usual answer which is usually not high speed enough is to get a Spyderco Endura/Delica & trainer and some realistic training. Most of what is out their will poo poo the idea of using a folder for SD even though that is what most people carry.- George

The tantos tip is stronger and more reinforced by design = true

The tantos secondary point helps 'bite-in' on slashing and snap-cut techniques = true

The tanto is more limited by design(lack of belly/curve) for some edc cutting tasks, food prep, carving etc.. also true :)

As a weapon their fine, as an edc their just ok and not as versatile as a regular blade.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

I carry two Tanto blades every day. I really like them. I haven't found anything that I cant do with a tanto style that I could do with a curved or conventional style blade. I also found that they are alot easier to sharpen.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Probably been answered previously, but I think ,my Emerson "wave-designed" folding tanto is the business. No blade is stronger for the money, and as practical IMHO. So Mercop, tell, what's the downside?

Frank

I personally love the Tanto style knives, I use mine alot as a tool when my bike breaks down. great as a screw driver, find it easyer then a regular blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Probably been answered previously, but I think ,my Emerson "wave-designed" folding tanto is the business. No blade is stronger for the money, and as practical IMHO. So Mercop, tell, what's the downside?

Frank
    um, Spydercos are cheaper? Emersons are solid knives, to be sure, but a bit overpriced. for most SD work, a Delica will do quite nicely. and, they have permission from Ernie Emerson to use the Wave on some of their knives, like the Delica, Endura, and Rescue models.

my biggest complaint about Emersons are the chisel grinds; i hate those.

I carry a CRKT M16-14D and it's great. My only gripe is that the chisel ground edge is harder to sharpen IMO. If I had it to do over I'd get the conventional blade. BTW I've cut everything from zip-ties to rooled roofing with this knife and the finish has held up better than I would have ever dreamed. I even used carb cleaner to remove tar and it hasn't hurt the finish.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Thanks everyone for your input.... And Longbow, that is is some absolutely beautiful scrollwork that you do.
    GLOCK G22 (duty weapon)
    GLOCK G27 (on duty backup and off duty EDC)
    SIG SAUER P6
    KELTEC P11
    "Because homeland security begins at home"

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    The tantos tip is stronger and more reinforced by design = true

The tantos secondary point helps 'bite-in' on slashing and snap-cut techniques = true

The tanto is more limited by design(lack of belly/curve) for some edc cutting tasks, food prep, carving etc.. also true
    I agree 100%.

For two years I have been carrying the Gerber Torch II folding knife. It has been through hell and back and really is a durable knife.

Its been dragged through caves while spelunking , I had it on when wading in the Chesapeake bay (salt water) and all types of mountain activities.

Never once had a problem.
    It is also a very affordable knife.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I actually like the Spyderco wave more than the Emerson one. I wish they'd bevel the edges of the wave on the Spyderco, but it's much bigger.

Links