Best tactical knife that is not a "weapon" in Florida?

This is a discussion on Best tactical knife that is not a "weapon" in Florida? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless I'm wrong, that means it has to be a manual knife with a blade less than 3 inches...right? The reason primarily is I want ...

Unless I'm wrong, that means it has to be a manual knife with a blade less than 3 inches...right? The reason primarily is I want to carry a blade in places that I'm not allowed to bring in a 'weapon.' as the state of Florida doesn't consider "common pocket knives" to be weapons. (Although obviously, I'm not bringing a butter knife into the courthouse) This is more for when I go out drinking and barhopping but don't run the risk of a felony charge by carrying a gun. (I rarely get hammered and practice good carry habits and avoid trouble so I could probably get away with it but it's just not worth it, guns & alcohol don't mix (maybe I could carry one of those Kimber sprays though) )

I'm a big fan of Kershaws and will probably pick up another one (I have a Skyline). They are wellpriced, light, and I can deploy them (the flipper variety at least) just as fast as an auto. I wish I could get an auto for this but then it would be a 'weapon' (just like my awesome Kabar TDI that I have to leave home when I go to the bar)

I may get a Spyderco but I find the Flipper variety knives by Kershaw to be ridiculously easy to deploy....

"4 max in FL with out a permit
    ..with a FL CCW you can carry just about anything thats a folding knife(there are a few exceptions but the 'common pocket knife' rule doesn't apply then :)

There are plenty of great defense capable knives that would pass into the fl "4 common pocket knife class" BM griptillian, endura+delica(maybe not waved though ;), Kabar Dozier etc etc..
    I'd avoid most tantos, hawkbills-karambits-exotic thingies etc to fit into this class ..Or just get the permit :)
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

It is also ridiculously easy to cause them to fail. Get a Spyderco Endura/Trainer and a trainer.- George

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    "4 max in FL with out a permit
    ..with a FL CCW you can carry just about anything thats a folding knife(there are a few exceptions but the 'common pocket knife' rule doesn't apply then :)

There are plenty of great defense capable knives that would pass into the fl "4 common pocket knife class" BM griptillian, endura+delica(maybe not waved though ;), Kabar Dozier etc etc..
    I'd avoid most tantos, hawkbills-karambits-exotic thingies etc to fit into this class ..Or just get the permit :)
    ...I have the permit but I guess I was wrong about 3'' being the max...I'm trying to be able to carry knife in a bar that wouldn't be construed as a weapon (although anything is, if you use it as such)

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Not being a big fan of the Endura after having a chance to mess with my trainer for it, both versions of the Benchmade Griptilian are mighty fine knives and have a trainer available for them.

I'd second the vote on the Benchmade Griptilian. One of the issues with the Spyderco Endura is that the lock may fail as I have seen.

To test the lock
    Hold the folder in your hand in such a manner that it's impossible for the edge to hit any part of your hand or that any part of your hand will come in contact with the lock release. Now slap the back of the blade onto a non-forgiving surface. You would be surprised at how many folders will fold under this test, the Endura has for me but not every one of them either. Never had this happen with a Griptillian.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links