cold steel nightshade series

This is a discussion on cold steel nightshade series within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These things (I think...) are probably short lived, I hate to say. A really good idea for self defense, but in this age of terrorism, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold steel nightshade series

These things (I think...) are probably short lived, I hate to say.
    A really good idea for self defense, but in this age of terrorism, people will freak out if any of these types of weapons get on-board aircraft and what not. They aren't detectable with metal detectors !
    http://www.coldsteel.com/nise.html
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I tend to disagree that they are "a really good idea for self-defense." Pre-9/11 it might have been a different story, it would have been much easier to get away with carrying one on a plane or into other restricted areas. Of course, pre-9/11 you could carry a real knife on a plane.

For any other purpose (i.e. self-defense in your daily life) unless you work in a place that prohibits the carrying of weapons (and has a metal-detector to help ensure that the rules aren't violated) you would be much better served with a real knife. While some of these items are pretty good for stabbing (particularly the "dart" and dagger models), they are marginal at best for slashing. The only one that I've ever heard of that was good at both was the Frequent-Flyer made by Mad-Dog. However, having never actually handled one, I don't know how good they really are. Basically these weapons fill a specific niche. They were designed for people that who could not arm themselves with conventional weapons (for example, a friend of mine who carried them when doing DP work overseas). For the rest of us, I don't really see the value of these items.

Just my $0.02
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    I have a Cold Steel CAT Tanto as my "Shower Buddy" - the cheap, all-plastic design is ideal for watery conditions. It is very durable and a strong poker, and I've hacked through sturdy cardboard with it, but being what it's made out of, the plastic edge will tear. I've gotten a raggedy edge on mine from the cardboard tests, but sandpaper corrected that.

It's not a daily utility blade, that's for sure, but it's a good low-to-no maintenence blade you can store just about anywhere. For the purposes of "beating the system," one would get into deep trouble if caught, and it's not something we discuss here, anyway.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Oh, that's good- $15 for the karambit. LT not only sells something he's said he has absolutely no use for, he's invented an absolutely useless version of it. Unless your attacker is a naked hemopheliac, who rubs himself down in moisturizer 8-12 times a day........

The CAT Tanto looks like the only usefull thing there.

Senior Moderator
    These things (I think...) are probably short lived, I hate to say.
    Naa...

theres been a plastic version of the Tanto on the market for 15 years.For those of you that doubt it can do much...dont.
    I saw a dude that was cut up by one of them, it didnt look any different from a regular blade cut.

Took real stitches to patch him up.

For what it's worth.... I have a bunch of "knives" and scrapers that I made out of some scrap 1/2" thick lexan that a manufacturing plant was installing around machinery as safety guards in case tools broke. They'll slice through heavy cardboard, tarps, etc. easily. I've never thought about packing one around, but if somebody came at me with a "plastic" knife, I'd consider it to be very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Oh, that's good- $15 for the karambit. LT not only sells something he's said he has absolutely no use for, he's invented an absolutely useless version of it. Unless your attacker is a naked hemopheliac, who rubs himself down in moisturizer 8-12 times a day........
    LOL, I had a pretty good laugh when I first saw the Karambit in their catalog after hearing his comments about them.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have been seeing them priced as low as $5.80 each....

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Kidding, and kicking a grovelling dog, aside, artz, the CAT, the daggers, and the push knives would be worth having in the kit, especially at the prices they currently run. Unto all things, there is a season.......

Just try a couple out against a denim wrapped pork roast/naked roast, and get a feel for your best, realistic, handling. You can get 800/1200 grit wet/dry paper at many machine tool supply shops, and keep a pretty darn good edge.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Betty's got a good point. Shower knife. No rust either.We're all vulnerble in that part of the house.

Gotta mention that to my ladies. They'd love that.

The BG sneeks in ever so quietly. Comes around the corner of the bathroom door and see's your shadow thru the shower door/curtin. Hell,he'd probably even put down his weapon so he could quickly swing the door open and reach in to grab you. One of them Cold Steel Zytel type things would sure come in handy. -------

Iffen I'm out riding motorcycles and wearing my pull on boots. A nice piece of ordnance tape (thousand mile per hour tape) and secure one of those lil'boogers inside for emergency use only...

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I inquired and received a message from someone at Cold Steel that the Nightshades are intended only for puncturing with the point. So I recommend forgetting about using the edge, keeping the edge sharp, etc.

VIP Member
    Betty's got a good point. Shower knife. No rust either.We're all vulnerble in that part of the house.
    My in-laws took a tour of our place when we got married. They went into the master bathroom, where the shower stall has clear glass doors. I heard no comments about the ominous, black Shower Buddy dangling from the shampoo caddy, but I know they saw it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Anubis, I had a buddy run one of them little Zytel things accross my forearm kinda "gently" and it sure as hell felt sharp to me.

If,when the skin is penetrated,you move the blade latterilly(OUCH) betcha it would cut. Especially if you filed some small serations in the blade and resharpened. -------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links