Concealed knife problems in TX

This is a discussion on Concealed knife problems in TX within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this knife in today. I wanted a knife to carry as I ride my bike and travel through Tx. I camp, and ride ...

Thread: Concealed knife problems in TX

Concealed knife problems in TX

I got this knife in today. I wanted a knife to carry as I ride my bike and travel through Tx. I camp, and ride quite a bit and wanted a knife that was heavy and well balanced and suited for work. I have always liked stag handles and heavy full tang blades. This is the first post on here and will check in periodicly. I am not sure how I cannot carry this knife without getting in trouble. I have a belt holster, Will I have problems if I have a coat or shirt covering it? The knife itself is legal as I have read it. Overall length is about 8" the blade is less than 4" single edged. I do not have a CCL yet and do not want to jeopardize getting it.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a Texan yet have no clue about knife laws.

I wouldn't want to carry that one anyway. I'd just rather sit and look at it.

Wow!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Concealment makes no difference in Texas. That knife looks fine, as it appears to have less than 5.5" of blade length, and one sharpened edge. It is not a Bowie, dirk, dagger, poniard, spear, tomahawk, switchblade, gravity knife, balisong, or any of the other types that are listed as illegal in the Penal Code or case law.

Even San Antonio, which bans locking-blade folders, by city ordinance, has nothing against small fixed blades, to my knowledge.

I am not a lawyer, and do not give legal advice; this is just my educated opinion. I do enforce Texas criminal laws, and this knife is as legal as it gets, unless some city has an ordinance I don't know about. Nice knife!

I regularly carry a 3" fixed-blade knife, though I will admit that as an LEO I can carry any knife I want, within Texas, that is not under direct federal control.

you will be fine carrying it in Texas. You dont need to conceal or have a CHL.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Can't answer the question but it's a good looking knife.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Knife laws in Texas vary from one city to the other. I have read the state law but apparently cities in Texas can make their own law. For example, we had a big discussion on this forum about lock blade knives in San Antonio. If you throw in the mix a cop that does not have knowledge of the law I see trouble when it comes to knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Concealment makes no difference in Texas. That knife looks fine, as it appears to have less than 5.5" of blade length, and one sharpened edge. It is not a Bowie, dirk, dagger, poniard, spear, tomahawk, switchblade, gravity knife, balisong, or any of the other types that are listed as illegal in the Penal Code or case law.

Even San Antonio, which bans locking-blade folders, by city ordinance, has nothing against small fixed blades, to my knowledge.

I am not a lawyer, and do not give legal advice; this is just my educated opinion. I do enforce Texas criminal laws, and this knife is as legal as it gets, unless some city has an ordinance I don't know about. Nice knife!

I regularly carry a 3" fixed-blade knife, though I will admit that as an LEO I can carry any knife I want, within Texas, that is not under direct federal control.
    Your first comment is what I need to make sure of. When I say conceal under a coat or untucked shirt, this is more by accident or necessity. I don't want to get in trouble for concealing it and not having a CCL. I was fairly sure I could open carry it. Also, are there places I cannot go with this knife? Banks, schools, bars? This is a "tool" and will be used as such, but I could see some security guard see me come in with it on my hip and get froggy.

You might look here, under knife law:

Handgunlaw.us

Or look at this resource:

State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com

I lived in Texas for several years, not that it makes me know the knife laws, LOL.

Great blade - I like the Damascus!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonG View Post
    Your first comment is what I need to make sure of. When I say conceal under a coat or untucked shirt, this is more by accident or necessity. I don't want to get in trouble for concealing it and not having a CCL. I was fairly sure I could open carry it. Also, are there places I cannot go with this knife? Banks, schools, bars? This is a "tool" and will be used as such, but I could see some security guard see me come in with it on my hip and get froggy.
    it does not matter if it is partially covered on or in the open, whether by accident or on purpose. you do not need a CHL either. there are not any places that you are restricted from carrying a knife. Other than the obvious, such as past airport security. as long as the blade on that knife is under 5.5", you will be fine.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to conceal a weapon. Boot knife, neck knife ect.

I was under the impression that it was illegal to conceal a weapon. Boot knife, neck knife ect.
    Its not illegal to conceal a knife. A handgun is another story, and it is illegal if you do not have a CHL.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Concealment is not a factor in Texas, for knives. Open carry can cause a property owner/manager/individual-in-charge to want you to leave, and failure to leave will become trespassing if you don't leave. Keep in mind that the owner/ manager can delegate the authority to a security guard or other person. Open carry can also cause leftistas to call the police, which will, at minimum, result in some wastage of your time.

Watch out for premises under direct federal control; this applies to anywhere in the USA. Airports, while they may delegate authority to local LEOs or security, are under federal control.

Schools discipline their students for dreaming of pictures of plastic spatulas, and probably fire teachers for doing the same, but as I understand it, from a criminal law standpoint, a school is no different from anywhere else for the average Joe Knifecarrier who finds himself on a campus or at an off-campus school event.

Keep in mind that a security checkpoint does not have to let you carry a knife past that point, just because the knife is of legal size. If nothing else, you have instantly become a trespasser. Don't push the issue. Misguided folks try to assert their rights, when they are actually asserting that they are trespassing.

jyo
    Neat knife! My friend in Texas says just don't carry any fixed blade knife with a blade 5" or more as that is not legal in Texas for open carry---I don't know about concealed laws for knives in Texas---ask the local law guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    Neat knife! My friend in Texas says just don't carry any fixed blade knife with a blade 5" or more as that is not legal in Texas for open carry---I don't know about concealed laws for knives in Texas---ask the local law guys.
    your friend is misinformed. its 5.5" there is no concealment laws for knives in Texas.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Watch out for premises under direct federal control; this applies to anywhere in the USA. Airports, while they may delegate authority to local LEOs or security, are under federal control.

Keep in mind that a security checkpoint does not have to let you carry a knife past that point, just because the knife is of legal size. If nothing else, you have instantly become a trespasser. Don't push the issue. Misguided folks try to assert their rights, when they are actually asserting that they are trespassing.
    The FAA regulations, the federal agency that controls airfields, only restricts locally-legal weapons in areas marked with a painted two-foot thick red line. This marking designates the area as restricted and a safety zone. If you pay attention, many airfields have this red line as carpet or painted on the floor just before you enter the security screening areas. Otherwise, the ability to carry weapons is restricted by the local laws.

I used to work for a FBO and I would, and could legally, fly into all sorts of airports with my CCW so long as I stayed out of these restricted areas.

Links