Small but pretty awesome dilema - Page 2

Small but pretty awesome dilema

This is a discussion on Small but pretty awesome dilema within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef as a side note, if I read the prohib.off.weapon part correctly it says a knife, no blade length, or shape or ...

View Poll Results: What Benchmade would fit my criteria, see thread.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Presidio/Auto Presidio

3 12.00%

7 28.00%
  • Rift

2 8.00%
  • Griptilian

12 48.00%

2 8.00%
  • Other

5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    as a side note, if I read the prohib.off.weapon part correctly it says a knife, no blade length, or shape or anything. Does that mean that in our great commonwealth that it is illegal to carry a knife at all.
    Nope. Just autos. Note the phrase I've highlighted in bold.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    The problem is, the whole thing is pretty poorly written. It isn't very clear.

ETA: To answer your original question, I own several Axis Lock models. Presidio, Ares, and a 530. I had a D2 Griptilian, but I lost it on Mt. Hood a few years ago. They're all great knives. I think you'd be well served by any of the models in your poll.

I picked the 710. I own the 710, Griptillian, Mini griptillian and I have held the others you listed and like the 710 the best. Even like it more than my Emerson.

DC Founder
    The original Stryker.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

agreed on the poorly written part, PA law was written with grey ink not black lol. I have had cops tell me that assisted opens such as an aegis, blur, flash, leek, etc are illegal, all my reps say no. Any input there?

I am leaning toward a 940 or 950 but I want to hold and handle them all. I don't think there is a bad benchmade, FYI I heard they are discontinuing the red class. That is from the rep, not rumor. So I feel any of these will work, its just a matter of making up my stubborn mind.

I appreciate it all.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

I have a Benchmade 9050 that I got issued for a deployment. I've had it for 6 years so far and carry it everyday. I'd recommend it if you are looking for an auto.

Benchmade Mini-Barrage.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Of the ones you listed, my first choice would be the Griptilian since it's the cheapest and there is a trainer available and it has the Axis lock.

That said, I really like the feel of the 940 and the 710 isn't bad.

I wouldn't bother with an auto...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

After speaking with unloved I don't think I will carry an auto unless its for demo purposes, but I will carry the crap out of another BM. I've been looking and looking and I can't wait til our meeting with them.

Good info, more is better.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Of the ones you listed, my first choice would be the Griptilian since it's the cheapest and there is a trainer available and it has the Axis lock.

That said, I really like the feel of the 940 and the 710 isn't bad.

I wouldn't bother with an auto...
    All three of those knives have the axis

I own and carry both the 940 and the 710. I like them both and they get a lot of hard use. Right now I tend to carry the 710 more because of the cutting chores that I'm doing. The 710 has a slight recurve which helps with the cutting chores that I'm doing. You can't go wrong with either of those two.

I currently carry a Vex which I received as a Christmas present.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

If, as a Benchmade dealer, you can get your hands on one, the Axis Lock AFCKs are really nice. Plus, alone among the Axis Lock knives, they can be carried tip-down.

In reference to your earlier question, assisted openers are generally accepted to be legal in PA, as they don't open with a "switch" or "push-button". Though, as we discussed, the language of the statute isn't very clear. Frankly, the way it's written, almost anything could be called a "prohibited offensive weapon". FWIW, I think they're fine. Personally, I avoid the whole issue by not carrying autos, or assisted openers. They're no faster, or easier to deploy than any of my Spydercos, and springs fail.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I have to second unloved in this regard. My buddy's Barrage doesn't open any faster than my Griptilian.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    If, as a Benchmade dealer, you can get your hands on one, the Axis Lock AFCKs are really nice. Plus, alone among the Axis Lock knives, they can be carried tip-down.

In reference to your earlier question, assisted openers are generally accepted to be legal in PA, as they don't open with a "switch" or "push-button". Though, as we discussed, the language of the statute isn't very clear. Frankly, the way it's written, almost anything could be called a "prohibited offensive weapon". FWIW, I think they're fine. Personally, I avoid the whole issue by not carrying autos, or assisted openers. They're no faster, or easier to deploy than any of my Spydercos, and springs fail.
    +1. i avoid assisted openers because of the crappy laws PA has. in any case, "waved" knives open faster anyway, for me, and those are less controversial than autos/assists.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    +1. i avoid assisted openers because of the crappy laws PA has. in any case, "waved" knives open faster anyway, for me, and those are less controversial than autos/assists.
    x2. Not only do my normal knives open just as fast as assisted openers, but my Emerson opens faster than all of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links