Small but pretty awesome dilema

This is a discussion on Small but pretty awesome dilema within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a dealer for a couple different knife companies. I carry knives from both companies. SOG and BOKER. I have a meeting with a ...

View Poll Results: What Benchmade would fit my criteria, see thread.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Presidio/Auto Presidio

3 12.00%

7 28.00%
  • Rift

2 8.00%
  • Griptilian

12 48.00%

2 8.00%
  • Other

5 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am a dealer for a couple different knife companies. I carry knives from both companies. SOG and BOKER. I have a meeting with a rep from BENCHMADE in early Feb. I need some advice from the people who are more experienced with BM than I. I have no direct dealings with them yet. Never owned one, but have read a lot. It is my tradition that when I place an opening order from a company I always get something for me to carry. So here comes the dilema. I have narrowed down my choices a good bit. I am not against autos, I am a LEO and a dealer so I can carry one, but not totally hooked. Help me out. I have a few listed in the poll. Any other suggestions let me know. I am looking for #1 a tool, #2 defensive, #3 outstanding performance. Let me know what you suggest. Thanks.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am looking into a Benchmade as well and am interested in how the poll turns out! Didn't vote as I don't have experience with them yet.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

personaly i carry a lfk in a side sheath. its great for SD and great to reach screws that are at a distance
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I bought my first Benchmade Knife about 10-12 years ago and was impressed with it. I've bought a few more since then. I don't collect them, I use them all. Some have the handle scales worn smooth and no finish left on the blade but they sharpen up nice and the mechanisms are still as tight as they were when new. I haven't bought a new one in years because I haven't worn out any of the old ones....so I didn't vote in your poll as I'm not up to speed on their current lineup.

Thanks all, I have numerous "popular knives" and when it comes down to doing some tasks in the field, the dramatic type stories always include a BM. Nothing agains sog, spyderco, cold steel, etc. but I personally haven't heard or read any super stories about these knives, with that being said I will still carry them but really want a BM for thos SHTF times.

KEEP EM' COMIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    ...I am a LEO and a dealer so I can carry one...
    You can't carry an auto legally.
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (b) Exceptions.--
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    (2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    (d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
    (1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law. [FN1]
    (2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    (4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    (7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    There's no exception, or exemption in there for LEOs, or dealers.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I picked the Griptilian because it's the only blade on the list with a manufactured trainer available. If you carry it for numbers one and three, you're fine without one. If you don't carry another knife that you train with for number two then you might get yourself into a heap of trouble when you try to give it a go during the realio-dealio.

pa 18

Unloved #1 on there says that unless authorized by law to sell, make etc. Also us code form 18 which I received from my rep allows me to carry auto. Demo purposes. I could be wrong but I think that is my justification.

edit: I'm sorry its a) and 3) not number 1
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; January 16th, 2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: mistake in original

i love knives. love them to pieces. but i cannot seem to love Benchmades. i've owned 3, and was not overly fond of any of them. the only one that i carried was the Mini-Pika, and i gave that one away, too. they're like Glocks to me; i understand they're quality, but i don't see the appeal.

Automatic Knife Release form link to form 18 for auto knives.

Since you are a LEO, I think it's very unlikely that you'll have any issues, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    Unloved #1 on there says that unless authorized by law to sell, make etc.
    No, it doesn't. It says:
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    Are you thinking of this?
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    There is no authorization in PA law for anyone to carry autos. There may be for making, repairing, selling, and dealing in them. I haven't researched it that deeply, just far enough to figure out that it's illegal for me to carry autos.

IMO, this
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    means that anyone who legally possesses a firearm is exempt, but a couple of lawyers who specialize in this particular segment of law tell me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef
    Also us code form 18 which I received from my rep allows me to carry auto.
    Again, no it doesn't. It relates to fed law, and doesn't grant you an exemption from the Commonwealth law against possession of autos.

As I said, I think it's highly unlikely you'll ever have a problem, but I think you should be aware.

VIP Member
    I recieved a BM AFO II for a xmas gift and what a great tool it is! Has a "glass breaker", is auto for one handed opening,and is stout.I like the forward grip on it as well,with a little flair outward it keeps my hand from sliping forward.
    I think we will be together a long time!

I've owned the Griptilian and Presidio. Both are good knives but if the difference in price isn't an issue I'd go with the Presidio given the better quality of materials.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

The griptilian is a great work knife and very strong lock with the axis lock it has.

Depending on what style of blade you go with. The spear will work great for tool and then weapon. AND it will be very realiable.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

pa 18

UNLOVED, thank you for pointing those things out to me. I will definately check deeper into it. I will consult judges and other LEOs. I agree that I don't think I will have any trouble, I do want to be safe and not get arrested or cited.

as a side note, if I read the prohib.off.weapon part correctly it says a knife, no blade length, or shape or anything. Does that mean that in our great commonwealth that it is illegal to carry a knife at all.

Let it be known that I am a PA state constable, I do not issue citations, or deal directly with placing charges on people. I get them after the charges are already filed and also deal with some civil stuff. I did not want people to think I was a cop and didn't know the law. So in short my area of work is after a warrant is issued or in civil cases.

Thanks still lookin for more input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links