Defensive Carry banner

Can you bring a s&w tactical pen on a plane

35K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Spade115 
#1 ·
Ya know $23 is not to much money (unless your talking about a pen IMHO) so I would not want to buy one and then have it confiscated, just wondering if any of you have one and tried it :rolleyes:

#3 ·
That would depend entirely on the perception of the screener you encounter. While any Fisher, Sharpie, or any of numerous high-end (or really cheap) pens with a strong metal body, and a tapered, pointed end would accomplish the same thing (writing on paper, duh). It really depends if the screener has 'found out' about "tactical" pens and is looking for one, then you might lose it. It could also get lost if they decide to call it a 'kubaton,' which is on the prohibited list.

Read this for specifics: TSA: Prohibited Items

#7 ·
A pencil would accomplish the same defensive barrier, along with many other items that would not be confiscated.IMHO

#8 · (Edited)
TSA knows them all, already

TSA already knows about all the "innocent looking" tactical (or tacticool, if you prefer) goodies on the market. Does anyone really believe TSA doesn't have someone (maybe more than one) surfing the same web sites we do, looking for the latest and greatest thing to sneak by them?

TSA isn't nearly as dumb and clueless as most people consider them to be.

#15 ·
TSA already knows about all the "innocent looking" tactical (or tacticool, if you prefer) goodies on the market. Does anyone really believe TSA doesn't have someone (maybe more than one) surfing the same web sites we do, looking for the latest and greatest thing to sneak by them?

TSA isn't nearly as dumb and clueless as most people consider them to be.
You're right, they arent as dumb and clueless as we suspect them to be.

The reality is they are far far worse. I'm not going to say they aren't at least somewhat better than the mongrels we had working airport security before they came around. What the TSA does present though, is a prime place for people who couldn't find any other job where they could get authority who are just looking for the opportunity to push people around.

I have yet to meet a reasonable intelligent respectful TSA agent. Yes, I fly alot, no I dont push their buttons, and ideally yes I like to travel under their radar. Please dont assume they are good at what they do, or intelligent. All they are there to do is project a thin vineer of security to the sheep, waste tax payers money, and sustain themselves.

#11 ·
you can carry a zippo w/ fluid on a plane, just not the butane zippos

#13 ·
never know when a cute girl's gonna need a light... i understand ;)

#14 ·
lol, I actually carried one when I was about 15, my grandfather smoked so I always made sure I was prepaired, (knife, lighter, utility tool, 20 dollars for gas, "just incase")

but yea I like your version more, only my girlfriend would probably beat me. lol

#21 ·
Yes, this does seem like the most obvious avenue. Though it seems so out of place that I wonder if you would actually have any luck.

#23 ·
I have travel by plane at least twice a year and always bring my Hinderer tactical pen, will place it into the tray with the ink point exposed.

Last time I flew I had the Hinderer and Tuff Writer which does not have the brand stamped on it. I was really surprised that it didn't attract any attention.

#37 ·
This little shop that sells chinese goods, cheapy fountain pens (will take a pic) for a buck with extra cartridges, actually you can store one extra ink cartridge so it is good for a small item storage as well. Bought some other pens that would probably do the same 12 pack for 6 dollars.

NM Will post pictures tomorrow taking half a day and will take pictures tonight when I get home. HAve to take care of a few things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.