Can you bring a s&w tactical pen on a plane

This is a discussion on Can you bring a s&w tactical pen on a plane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ya know $23 is not to much money (unless your talking about a pen IMHO) so I would not want to buy one and then ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you bring a s&w tactical pen on a plane

Can you bring a s&w tactical pen on a plane

Ya know $23 is not to much money (unless your talking about a pen IMHO) so I would not want to buy one and then have it confiscated, just wondering if any of you have one and tried it
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

2. Remove Ads

I don't know how it is now but about a year ago I flew with my Timberline Tactical LCP without any problem.

That would depend entirely on the perception of the screener you encounter. While any Fisher, Sharpie, or any of numerous high-end (or really cheap) pens with a strong metal body, and a tapered, pointed end would accomplish the same thing (writing on paper, duh). It really depends if the screener has 'found out' about "tactical" pens and is looking for one, then you might lose it. It could also get lost if they decide to call it a 'kubaton,' which is on the prohibited list.

Read this for specifics: TSA: Prohibited Items

You can carry a Phillips screwdriver. What's the difference. It's only feel-good legislation anyway.

If you put in in your bag it is just another pen. If you put it in the dish and they see that it says S&W on it chances are it is the last time you see it. Why not a just carry a Zebra 701 and not worry about it?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Cross makes a pretty beefy pen as well that will easily pass muster. In fact, I'm pretty sure that a Google search would come up with several articles about using a Cross ballpoint for self-defense.

A pencil would accomplish the same defensive barrier, along with many other items that would not be confiscated.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

TSA knows them all, already

TSA already knows about all the "innocent looking" tactical (or tacticool, if you prefer) goodies on the market. Does anyone really believe TSA doesn't have someone (maybe more than one) surfing the same web sites we do, looking for the latest and greatest thing to sneak by them?

TSA isn't nearly as dumb and clueless as most people consider them to be.
    Last edited by Majorlk; January 26th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Gel Shoe inserts is not allowed. I was wondering about Zippo lighters, would they classify as ok to take carry on as long as you dont have fuel in it? And you cant take your own fuel?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I carry a wooden dowel 6 inch by 1/4" - "It's just for massage relief". Never a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Gel Shoe inserts is not allowed. I was wondering about Zippo lighters, would they classify as ok to take carry on as long as you dont have fuel in it? And you cant take your own fuel?
    you can carry a zippo w/ fluid on a plane, just not the butane zippos
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Thank You :D

I usually carry a Zippo lighter just incase I need it. lol (dont smoke so I usually just have it on me)

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Thank You :D

I usually carry a Zippo lighter just incase I need it. lol (dont smoke so I usually just have it on me)
    never know when a cute girl's gonna need a light... i understand ;)
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

lol, I actually carried one when I was about 15, my grandfather smoked so I always made sure I was prepaired, (knife, lighter, utility tool, 20 dollars for gas, "just incase")

but yea I like your version more, only my girlfriend would probably beat me. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    TSA already knows about all the "innocent looking" tactical (or tacticool, if you prefer) goodies on the market. Does anyone really believe TSA doesn't have someone (maybe more than one) surfing the same web sites we do, looking for the latest and greatest thing to sneak by them?

TSA isn't nearly as dumb and clueless as most people consider them to be.
    You're right, they arent as dumb and clueless as we suspect them to be.

The reality is they are far far worse. I'm not going to say they aren't at least somewhat better than the mongrels we had working airport security before they came around. What the TSA does present though, is a prime place for people who couldn't find any other job where they could get authority who are just looking for the opportunity to push people around.

I have yet to meet a reasonable intelligent respectful TSA agent. Yes, I fly alot, no I dont push their buttons, and ideally yes I like to travel under their radar. Please dont assume they are good at what they do, or intelligent. All they are there to do is project a thin vineer of security to the sheep, waste tax payers money, and sustain themselves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links