Legality of automatic knife? - Page 2

Legality of automatic knife?

This is a discussion on Legality of automatic knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Switchblade knives are regulated by federal law. However some businesses such as uniqueblade.com sell them openly and ship them by mail (also illegal) to most ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Legality of automatic knife?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Switchblade knives are regulated by federal law. However some businesses such as uniqueblade.com sell them openly and ship them by mail (also illegal) to most states.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Switchblade knives are regulated by federal law. However some businesses such as uniqueblade.com sell them openly and ship them by mail (also illegal) to most states.
    Switchblade knives are only regulated by federal law for importation or interstate trade.

Legal in Arizona, no permit required.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Legal in Arizona, no permit required.
    Same in Wyoming.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I'm with the posters who have said they prefer AO or waved knives to autos. Autos are finicky to operate, tend to function unreliably if excessively dirty, and aren't any faster than an AO or waved knife. Besides the cool factor, I can't think of any reason to have one. And I've owned every kind of auto from Microtech, Dalton, Protech, to Piranha. I still come back to the Kershaw AO knives and the Spyderco waved Delica.
    l1a1 likes this.

VA's permit is for a concealed HANDGUN (i.e. CHP).....not a concealed WEAPON.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Code by state (per Wiki): Switchblade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nice carry piece: Boker Plus Automat Kalashnikov 74 Push Button Lock 3-1/4" Blade, Olive Drab Aluminum Handles - Knifecenter.com

I have several Bokers' and a Smith & Wesson but the Kershaw is sweet.

Swithchblade/ Autstomatic Knives

I know this is a long time since last post. If you go to Wikipedia and search switchblades they have links for state regulations. It appears they are
    primarily illegal by Federal standards. Some states are ok. From what I have found I would not recommend carrying one, just to prevent any confusion with Law Enforcement and taking a chance on losing your knife. For the most part it looks like they are Legal as "collector's pieces" and not illegal to own as part of a knife collection. Just not carry.

The state government in Missouri has just passed the legal use of automatic knives. Just waiting for the Governor to sign. Hubby just got one on that...if the Democrat Governor doesn't sign...he can't carry. It becomes part of his "collection".
    I heard, "But honey, sweetie, sugar lump....it is on sale and they are running out". I am just a sucker for those twinkling blue eyes and boyish smile.
    Last edited by Spirit51; June 1st, 2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: wrong term
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCooper View Post
    IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer

Knife laws are different by state. In NC for example, our CHP only permits carry of a handgun, not any other kind of weapon. Concealed carry of a "pocket knife" is legal without a permit, unless it has any kind of spring or automated opening mechanism. I am not certain, but I think carry of such a knife is legal if it is not concealed (clipped to your belt or whatever).

Some states issue concealed weapon permits that permit the concealed carry of certain knives that would otherwise be illegal.
    Exactly the same in Oregon

Section 18.2-311 selling ,bartering,having or giving away any blackjacks,metal knuckles,throwing stars,switchblade knives or ballistic knives or similar wepons is a class 4 misdemeanor. Possession of any of these is considered evidence of intent to sell. The legal definition of a switchblade knife is: A knife with a blade that comes out of its handle automatically by centrifugal force,by Gravity,or by pressing a button or other device on the handle. Looks like if you can swing it and it opens (gravity) its illegal.

Luckily they are legal in FL. I bought a cheapo no-name one years ago and never really used it. It was dull, ugly and "made in China." I practiced using my new Lansky diamond sharpener on it, and now it is my EDC. Sharp enough to shave with. I'll post pics when I get home.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    They're legal in Florida...but of course if you listen to the media, we're all a bunch of blood-thirsty, gun toting yahoo's down here anyway.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RKM
    I have an OTF and side open auto knives. They're fun to play with, but I probably wouldn't carry one even if it was legal.

as mentioned every state is different. Check with your local LEO/DAish people, or ask an attorney.

Where I am it falls under the definition of a Dangerous/Deadly Weapon, which is what our permit allows. At the same time it's a little fuzzy because our state preemption laws are based on our state constitution in regards specifically to firearms, so it's conceivable that some local law concerning other types of weapons might not be exempted by state preemption...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links