Legality of automatic knife? - Page 3

Legality of automatic knife?

This is a discussion on Legality of automatic knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Missouri, automatic knives (switchblades) is a total separate definition in the knife section of law. They are illegal to carry except for on-duty LEO's ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Legality of automatic knife?

In Missouri, automatic knives (switchblades) is a total separate definition in the knife section of law. They are illegal to carry except for on-duty LEO's and on-duty military personnel in the performance of their job. For civilians, spring assisted knives are okay. However, folding knives must be less than a 4 inch blade. I also believe that fixed blade knives (over a certain length) must not be carried concealed.

For ccw permit holders the rules change a bit. For ccw holders, you can carry folding knives with blades longer than 4 inches and also fixed blade knives, concealed or otherwise. However, that does not apply to automatic (switchblade) knives. Those are still forbidden and is a felony to carry. (If you are a collector, you can have automatic (switchblade) knives in your collection, but you can not carry them in public.

One amendment which just passed, would legalize the carry of automatic (switchblade) knives for everyone in Missouri, as well as reduce the age requirement for ccw permits from 21 to 18 for military personnel. Non-military citizens the age for ccw would still be 21.

The governor is expected to sign that bill as he has not stood in the way of any other legislation similar. For example, he signed the bill which reduced the age for ccw everyone from 23 to 21.

If he signs this bill, along with two other bills passed by the legislation, the new law for automatic (switchblade) knives will go in effect in August of this year.

The point of all this is that each state has their own specific knife laws. And many states address automatic (switchblade) knives in very specific language, which often times can be confusing. When you're talking about a possible felony conviction, it is incumbent upon the individual to know exactly what the laws are regarding automatic (switchblade) knives in their state.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Auto knives are legal in Ky for carry with our Concealed Weapons Permit. Not legal to carry with out the permit. I carry a large fix blade or a auto now and then.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

what everyone else said

Quote Originally Posted by lon View Post
    Makes one wonder whatever happened to people that used to spell such things out. All the "shortcuts" to nowhere. I guess using shortcuts allows for more time to use more shortcuts....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Believe it or not you can't carry a "Bowie" knife in Tx
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

no auto's or bali's either in Tx, or "Bowie" style knives o.0

But 5.5 is alright (just make sure not bowie style o.0)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

One thing that most people dont realize, at least in Maine, is that your CC permit is NOT for Concealed Weapons, it's for Concealed Firearms. And concealed firearms tend to be specifically limited to handguns. New hampshire is a bit more direct in that they're CC permitting application is cleary marked "Pistol/Revolver".

The only way you can legally own, possess or carry an automatic knife up here is if you only have one arm.

Not that you want the ins and outs of Maine law, just trying to point out, along with everyone else's input, is that the laws are so varied, you better get an answer directly from LE. Even that is likely subject to change in a different district or municipality.

G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

I bought a benchmade mel pardue automatic from Army Navy Outdoors for $180 last year without showing I.D. or anything. I tried selling it on Ebay recently for a $150 to fund my gun addiction but learned you can no longer sell autos on Ebay so I'm stuck with it now. The knife will continue to sit in its box in my closet until I find someone to take it off my hands.

Welcome to the State of Arizona. It not a problem here. Due to a recent signed Preemption law even the Cities cannot over ride it. They are legal
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Administrator
    If your Benchmade Presidio is an automatic knife then it is considered to be a switchblade.

And NO...I am going to venture my best educated guess that your license to carry a firearm in VA does cover you out to also carry an automatic knife.

And I'll venture an even further "best educated guess" that who ever the person was that gifted it to you in VA committed a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Actually I don't even think that you can possess a full auto knife in VA. And the only reason that I'm not closing this thread is because I'm not 100% positive of that fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I have to add that here in PA. a fully automatic knife would not be legal for civilian carry but, even if it was I would not carry one.
    That is because (fair or not) (logical or not) swithblades now have a real life "Taboo Thug POX" attached to them and I would not personally want the monumental legal hassle associated with the possession of a switchblade if I were ever involved in any sort of altercation.
    They have no real advantage over an assisted opener or a knife with a "wave" feature.

On the plus side - one of the "cool factor advantages" of being a civilian with only one arm is that according to the FEDS you can legally order a switchblade and have one shipped out to you.

Administrator
    prev | next
    18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same. <~~~ My "take" is that means that if you are in possession the court is going to take your possession as evidence that your intent is to sell it, barter it, or give it to somebody which would by default make mere possession a Class 4 misdemeanor.
    But, that prima facie evidence can be rebutted by your Defense attorney.

Really & Truly though you need to contact your VA District Attorney and document that phone call by writing down the Date, Exact Time (that you placed the call) and the first & last name of the individual that you spoke with. And ideally request that they send you a printed reply on official D.A. Letterhead.
    Or contact a reputable VA. attorney that is intimately familiar with Virginia Knife Laws.

You know the old saying...better to talk to (and get professional advice) from the attorney BEFORE rather than AFTER.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    prev | next
    18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same. <~~~ My "take" is that means that if you are in possession the court is going to take your possession as evidence that your intent is to sell it, barter it, or give it to somebody which would by default make mere possession a Class 4 misdemeanor.
    But, that prima facie evidence can be rebutted by your Defense attorney.

Really & Truly though you need to contact your VA District Attorney and document that phone call by writing down the Date, Exact Time (that you placed the call) and the first & last name of the individual that you spoke with. And ideally request that they send you a printed reply on official D.A. Letterhead.
    Or contact a reputable VA. attorney that is intimately familiar with Virginia Knife Laws.

You know the old saying...better to talk to (and get professional advice) from the attorney BEFORE rather than AFTER.

I know in Florida it is perfectly legal to own an auto as long as it's kept inside your home. You are allowed to have them as part of your collection however they are illegal to be on you or in your possession in public unless you are military, exmilitary, emt, leo or a one armed person. If you have one arm you're allowed to carry an auto. I think the whole thing is ridiculous that I'm licensed to carry my semi-auto 9mm concealed but not an automatic knife.

Administrator
    I have to believe that various State knife laws and "prohibited weapons" laws are intentionally left swimming in doggone foggy sea of grey. Visibility Zero.
    They are such a mess that read through them and when you're all finished (in most instances) you still don't know for absolute certain if you should poop or go sailing.

legal in KY with concealed deadly weapon license. but while I think they're loaded with gobs of cool, I can't afford cool.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links