Legality of automatic knife?

This is a discussion on Legality of automatic knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Alabama they are legal to carry. I have carried a Boker Kalashnikov auto every day for several years. Fantastic knife. It's worth your ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Legality of automatic knife?

Here in Alabama they are legal to carry. I have carried a Boker Kalashnikov auto every day for several years. Fantastic knife. It's worth your money to buy a good one the first time, don't jump on the cheapies.
    Last edited by 380ACP; July 1st, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Lets see if I can add even more confusion - :-)
    When stationed in Va. while in the Navy, I could carry and use a switchblade knife as long as the blade was less than 4". I could not legally carry it on my person off base.

The selling and purchase of an "automatic" knife, or the possession thereof, does not appear to be illegal in Virginia. These automatic knives are openly sold at every gun show I have attended in recent memory. There also does not appear to be any prohibition in ordering an automatic knife from any retailer or wholesaler and having it delivered to your house. It does, however, appear to be illegal to carry a switchblade or automatic knife on one's person while in public unless you are a LEO in performance of their duty.

I'm not an attorney, either. But what I have told here is what I have personally experienced and/or observed. Seeking professional legal advice and information is recommended.

Mic - the CCW law in KY now allows for carrying all sorts of fun stuff like switchblades, brass knuckles, nunchaku, and Chinese throwing stars as long as you have your CCWD permit.

AO knives and switchblades are certainly cool but I have a stag handled Browning copy of a Gerber that has a thumbstud and it is much easier to deploy and put away one handed. I tried the AO knives and I am back to my Browning for good.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Reviving an old thread........

I did a search to find an answer to a question I've had for years, and found some good information here.

I have a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit and I enjoy collecting knives as well as firearms. I realize the legal jargon (CHP vs. CWP) but for the life of me, I don't understand the rationale of allowing concealed carry of a firearm but not an automatic knife. How can an automatic knife, in any way, be considered more dangerous/deadly than a firearm?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this sums up my thoughts exactly:

Quote Originally Posted by tjhnson View Post
    I think the whole thing is ridiculous that I'm licensed to carry my semi-auto 9mm concealed but not an automatic knife.
    Perhaps my biggest mistake is expecting something a politician did to actually make sense.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Saw a vid where the guy at Red Jacket tried one of those and about blew his hand off....plus the knife blade starting sailing sideways and was not effective....I would be velly velly afraid of these things.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Just because you have a permit to CC dose not include all weapons, if the weapon is illeagle to own then oviously you canot carry, this includes auto open knifes, machine guns, and grenades.

I had the same problem in Ky when I was with the 101st ABN (ASSLT) div, as a rappel master I was issued a Benchmade auto open knife, however I coluld not leagaly posess in Ky, the Army has sence then issued licences thru local states to those whos job requires this type knife.

Bottom line, check with local LE
    legal to carry in KY with CCDW permit as long as not on federal or Indian land. and legal to own without a permit. many LGS have them in their knife cabinets for sale here in KY. also the federal law has provisions for auto knives issued to military even if on federal property no matter what the state.

an auto knife isn't worth the price or hassle in my opinion. tons of "cool factor" though. many decent knives have rapid, single hand deployment without being classified as "automatics". I was given a SOG Tac auto as a gift and I had to fight the urge to cycle it a zillion times for fun. (I wanted to keep it tight so I could sell it). very cool but it didn't do anything my $60 SOG Aegis wasn't already doing so I turned it into half an Aimpoint. but if you've got the cash, I can see how they'd be a bit addictive.
    Jgriner likes this.

Ex Member
    Switchblades are illegal on a Federal level UNESS you only have one arm. You can own, buy, and sell just not carry. Fun toys.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Switchblades are illegal on a Federal level UNESS you only have one arm. You can own, buy, and sell just not carry. Fun toys.

that is incorrect. they are federally regulated but can be bought and carried in many places. U.S.C. 15, 1241-1245.

GH
    I can carry any knife with a CCL in WI except switchblades.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Re: Legality of automatic knife?

I can carry a switchblade in Iowa with my CWP. I don't. I do carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links