Expandable baton's?

This is a discussion on Expandable baton's? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can find out about Baton Training classes from local security guard companies. I saw an ad for one, and I am attending an OC/Baton ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expandable baton's?

You can find out about Baton Training classes from local security guard companies. I saw an ad for one, and I am attending an OC/Baton class certification today. He said I could attend, but that I would be the ONLY civilian there and that the rest were armed security guards types.

Its all day training and you end up with 2 certifications and a real working knowledge on how to use OC spray and an expandable baton. It was a $100 for the full day of training. I just told him I wanted to be informed using these two items and he said he wished more people would get more training on self defense. I will let you guys know how it goes!

Well off to OC/Baton training class...
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Yes, please do keep us posted. I might have to look something like that up after I move to Texas.

Red face Well I just got back from Baton/OC Training...

Well I just got back from my BATON/OC (two defensive products) training class...

It was WELL WORTH IT!!

Where else can you get "real stick time" in real-world scenarios, without hurting someone??? (our instructor had a big red puffy "redman" suit on)

This training I felt was very valuable. Its a lot like getting "shooting time" at the range BEFORE you have to use it in a Home Defense situation against a BG!

I learned a lot about proper techniques, laws, proper use of force for the current situation you may find yourself in etc. The old saying goes... just because you HAVE A GUN... doesnt mean you KNOW HOW TO USE IT! The same can be said for an expandable baton. It can be a great defensive weapon and it can also quickly be a DEADLY weapon if not used properly.

I chose to take this class/training due to the fact that I wanted options to use a "less than lethal" method to defend myself/family. I wanted to have the knowledge of how to properly use pepper spray, how to properly use an expandable baton and I already know how to properly use a firearm. (I do have a CHL to carry in Oregon) I just wanted options for my particular situations during my outings for SD/HD use.

I was the only civilian in class (most of them were armed security guard types) and I have to say it was very interesting to see the level of discipline those guys have to go through in dealing with the general public within their capacity. Remember these are not LEO's so they have to abide by the same laws as the rest of us do. They do have a lot of risk involved with what they can/cannot do and of course what their company policies say.

Overall, I would say if anyone wants to know how to properly use one of these to take a training course offered to security guard companies and learn how to use these in the most effective way to stop the BG, without causing serious damage or death. This is of course based on what threat level you are facing.

Remember its called self defense... AVOIDANCE & ALTERNATIVES first before use of deadly force.

I also found out one little thing about my self during this "hands on" training...

How winded you can get in a 3 minute "fight" ...all of us were winded from this training and it just goes to show how "out of shape" you can be! I dont mean physically (most were all in good physical shape) but I am talking about cardiovascular shape. The instructor said all this training and techniques doesnt matter if you are tired and weak due to no CARDIO training!

Looks like I will have to jump on that treadmill that is taking up space in our bonus room as a coat rack!
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Yes, please do keep us posted. I might have to look something like that up after I move to Texas.
    Most of the classes in Texas are for LEO or Security guards only. It is illegal to carry a collapsible baton on your person in Texas. You can carry it in your vehicle though. Just a heads up.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHTXSNIPER View Post
    Most of the classes in Texas are for LEO or Security guards only. It is illegal to carry a collapsible baton on your person in Texas. You can carry it in your vehicle though. Just a heads up.
    I try to point this out as much as possible so people here don't get in hot water

Quote Originally Posted by JKPinPDX
    How winded you can get in a 3 minute "fight" ...all of us were winded from this training and it just goes to show how "out of shape" you can be! I dont mean physically (most were all in good physical shape) but I am talking about cardiovascular shape. The instructor said all this training and techniques doesnt matter if you are tired and weak due to no CARDIO training!

Looks like I will have to jump on that treadmill that is taking up space in our bonus room as a coat rack!
    yep, we were constantly reminded in the academy that "he who gets tired first usually loses the fight", and in a fight with a scumbag that would be unacceptable
    we had a phrase posted in several places at the PD weight room, academy classroom, cardio room, mat room...."sweat more now so you won't bleed more later"
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I carried a 21 expandable baton for years while patrolling with canines (drug dogs). I used it once. All I saw was a flash to my left side as a large white shepherd came out of the darkness. It jumped at me biting my left wrist, I slung open the baton to my right side with my right hand, then swung down on to the left at the white dog. I hit it on the left side of it's skull. It immediately put a stop to the attack.

21 stitches later, several rounds of intravenous antibiotics and I was fine. The attacking dog was later killed by airport police. It's entire left side of it's head was laid open and bleeding profusely.

Do not mistake these for 'less lethal' or 'non lethal' weapons. A strike to the head would certainly be life endangering.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I carry the 21 inch Expandable Asp from Galls, in fact all my Officers do, but they are for duty carry only for our particular job.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

wouldn't OC spray be more compact and easier to carry? There is a micro-baton that is also loaded with OC, LOL.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    OC, meh. Oh, if there is time to check the wind first, it has its uses. Back-splash is also a problem. OC should not be anyone's Plan A or Plan B, in my opinion. OC should be an option, used in specialized circumstances, with an IMMEDIATE back-up plan for the considerable number of bad guys who are NOT impressed by OC.

OC'ing a hardened criminal can be like poking a bear with a stick, or grabbing a tiger by the tail.

Somewhat related I saw an episode of cops or some such police video show once where they were responding to a call where a bad guy tried to carjack some fellow in a parking lot with a knife, the driver got out of the car flicked open his baton and just gave him a bonk on the head/face not even full force and the bad guy was bleeding like he'd just been hit by a train.

He didn't even try to run off just sat there till the cops showed up, the look on his face was worth all the tea in china.

That said, I'm just being anecdotal here. Not recommending a hand weapon fight in close proximity with a knife toting car jacker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links