Expandable baton's?

Expandable baton's?

This is a discussion on Expandable baton's? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a Fury Tactical 16" baton yesterday from the local Army/Navy place. Wanted to get on for those times when I cant carry but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expandable baton's?

Expandable baton's?

Picked up a Fury Tactical 16" baton yesterday from the local Army/Navy place. Wanted to get on for those times when I cant carry but would like to have something with me. Wondering if anybody carry's one on a regular basis and how they do?
    XD-40 4"

The road goes nowhere for those who dare not dream.

VIP Member
    as long as its legal where ya are
    just know its considered deadly force

they can be very useful if you know how to use them properly

I recommend getting some training, gain some knowledge on how they are best used if you set on carrying one
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I carry a 21” Monadnock auto-lock in my waistband where the baton sits on an angle aligned along the groin and leg angle. I prefer the Monadnock auto-lock to ASP friction lock or ASP Lever-loc since the Monadnock allows for easier closure of the baton. This is simple my preference as the ASP batons are rock solid and dependable tools.

If you have made the decision to carry a baton make sure that the baton is well built and dependable. Baton classes are hard to come by outside of security and LEO so it might be difficult to get hands on training that is specifically geared towards the collapsible baton rather than martial arts stick work which is better than no training at all. Of course before carrying a baton check your local laws for civilian carry .

Here are my main batons. the Lever-loc was first generation and in less than two months the lugs began failing and was sent back to ASP. ASP at that time was reengineering the lug system and sent back a brand new baton in stainless rather than black.

Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I have a 21" ASP I have received trainig and they are very useful if aplied properly. Have a great "psychological effect" on the BG. That sound as it is deployed is awesome. get some training you'll be glad you did.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have an 16" ASP I carry at work.

I just stick it in my back pocket.

Have a great "psychological effect" on the BG. That sound as it is deployed is awesome.
    My Buddy was chasing a guy and the guy turned around and put his fists up as if to fight. Buddy whips out the asp and the guy turns around and runs again. Buddy said the guys face was Priceless.
    Last edited by dsee11789; January 30th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The expandable baton is an awesome tool closed or open. That Fury Model will bend a like a paper clip if you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    as long as its legal where ya are
    just know its considered deadly force

they can be very useful if you know how to use them properly

I recommend getting some training, gain some knowledge on how they are best used if you set on carrying one
    Its actually Mechanical force... Baton, night stick, OC, Cuffs. There is, or was a certification course that had to be taken to carry it.

Administrator
    You need to call the Georgia Office Of The Attorney General and find out what Georgia law is regarding batons which are normally considered to be a bludgeon or a bludgeoning instrument.
    And it looks like (for sure) IF a baton is legal for general civilian carry in Georgia at all it would need to be fully exposed and cannot be concealed.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
    Carrying a concealed weapon

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mic
    I carry 21in ASP on duty, trained and certified on Monadnock defensive tactics and have used several variations in practice, most hold up fairly well. Check your local laws befor you decide to carry, some states they are illegal
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I carry a 29" PeaceKeeper on duty and a 26" ASP off duty. IMHO 16" and 21" ASP sizebatons are not very efferctive and I would not count on one in a defensive situation. Now I am sure a 21" PeaceKeeper baton would be somewhat effective. Whatever you chooses to do dont buy a CCC baton as they will fail or bend when you really need it.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm certified with a 21" ASP. We can't carry them in Tennessee though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have a 21" Monadnock MEB. Great tool.

IMO you should get certified and carry only one of the 2 major brands - ASP or Monadnock.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

One of my neighbors carries a 21 inch collapsible baton when he goes at night. According to a local LEO he spoke with the only legal method of carry for this item in Nevada is exposed & in plain sight. The minute he "conceals" it he's guilty of "carrying a concealed weapon."

According to my neighbor he got the idea for the baton one day when he saw me OC'ing my G26. He liked the idea of carrying something in which to protect himself.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Exclamation Baton Rules/Laws for...

I just ordered one of the ASP LeverLoc (new generation) and I should get it next week or so.

My question is does anyone know the laws for a civilian to carry one in Oregon. I do have my Concealed Handguns License, but that would not apply to a Baton.

I have looked all over the net to try to find the laws/rules of carry for civilians in Oregon to carry a Baton for self defense use.

Anybody know???

Thanks in advance!
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

Funny thing about baton training. A basic principle is that edged weapons seek flesh and that impact weapons seek bone. In LE training they want you to strike large muscle groups. Then we wonder why you have to club people like a harp seal with a baton to get their attention. My worst or best ASP application depending on how you look at it was against a guy much bigger than me fighting with another officer. I landed several power strikes on his thigh with no effect. A strike to the side of his knee and ball of his ankle folded him like a lawn chair. I did however bend the 26" ASP. I did not realize it until I went to close it.

I would prefer the legalization of saps everywhere for law enforcement and citizens. Same as with the use of any tool, if you use it you better be right. If you are prohibited from owning a firearm you should not be able to carry a sap. Pretty simple really, if you don't want to get hit or shot listen to the police and leave your neighbors alone. Some people have a big problem understanding that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links