Böker Kalashnikov Automatic

This is a discussion on Böker Kalashnikov Automatic within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought one, and wanted to share my thoughts on it. Previously I had a S&W SWAT auto, all black. It was a nice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Böker Kalashnikov Automatic

I just bought one, and wanted to share my thoughts on it.

Previously I had a S&W SWAT auto, all black. It was a nice knife, but the black wore off with use. It ended up getting lost somehow.

I like automatics. I'm not going to pretend like I'd ever use my knife in a defensive situation. I'd rather run for my life than get in a knife fight. So while an auto may or may not be suited well for a defensive knife, they sure do work great as a comfortable carry and handy tool for every day tasks. It is legal to own and carry an automatic knife here in Alabama.

So anyway, I went knife shopping, reading reviews, and eventually ended up getting a Boker Plus Automat Kalashnikov 74 conversion, in all black. Plain blade. I like partially serrated blades for utility but they aren't as easy to sharpen.

Pics:

I like the box it came in. It's styled after an AK magazine.

Overall, I gotta say that I'm impressed with this one. It's ruggedly simple and solid. It has a strong spring and opens with a resounding snap. Definitely the snappiest opening in any of the autos I've owned. Blade is super sharp AUS8 steel. Handle feels good in the hand, and is very easy to keep a good grip on. Pocket clip allows the knife to be carried tip up.

All in all, it met my requirements. I wanted a knife that was solid and strong, had a good automatic opening action, a pocket clip, good steel, good build quality, and under $100, preferably under $75.

I picked this one up for about $50. Should be worth every cent.

Comments/thoughts? Anyone else have one of these?
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

GM
    That was a nice knife, and and the box is very cool. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Never heard of this one before. Looks good. I like the box as well. Let us know how it holds up.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    I carried one for 6 or 8 months, but I don't like knives with the point up and finally replaced it. I gave it to a friend for his son. That said I never had any problem with it and except for the point up situation I would probably still have it. Boker makes good knives.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Since I was a teenager I always wanted an Automatic. So a year after I moved to Alabama I went to Marks outdoors in Vestivia Hills Alabama and bought my first Automatic. I was going to get one off the internet but they can't be shipped out of state due to federal laws. I was first interested in this knife but Marks Outdoors didn't have any so I got a SOG-TAC. Where did you pick yours up at?

I bought one a couple of years ago, just for the hell of it. One day my GF was playing with it (just opening and closing it while we were watching TV). All of a sudden, I hear the knife open, then I hear something hit the wall. The spring had popped out (don't have any idea how that happened).
    Wouldn't trust it as a carry knife.

In general, autos are fun to play with but there are better options for actual use.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

This is a solid knife, I bought one last year in FL and haven't had any problems with it. I've got a friend that bought one about 3 months ago as well after playing around with mine for awhile, and he uses his for every task under the sun with no complaints at all

They are OK knives. They are not made by Boker-they are made in Asia FOR Boker.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I have one with a tanto blade that I bought myself when I graduated the Academy. The knife is cool, but it's not suited for lefthanded use. I've only cut myself on it about 5 times.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

My GF Merischino has kindly consented to allow me to post under her name.

Automatic knives are cool, but I've always wondered about legality because the laws seem so gray and ambiguous.

I felt a real need for an automatic knife when I worked as a paramedic. I would worm my way into car wreckage only to find that I needed to cut a tangled seat belt away from an accident victim, and have to do it with one hand. My other hand might be occupied holding medical equipment or keeping a body part immobilized.

There was kind of a catch-22 involved, because we were forbidden to carry weapons, and an automatic knife qualified as a weapon under a strict interpretation of the rules . . . rules that were written by insurance companies and administrators that never set foot in the streets.

Never-the-less, I still carried a small one on occasion, and I can honestly say that it helped me save several peoples' lives. On one occasion, I had to go into the water when a car overturned into a canal, and I had to use one hand to keep the patient's face above water and the other hand to manipulate the switchblade and cut the seat harness, tangled clothing, airbag, and the victim's tie (which was caught on twisted metal).

I wouldn't have been able to do this with a conventional folder.

I quietly ditched the knife into the canal so that no one would see it (I didn't want to face disciplinary action) and fed everyone a B.S. story about using my teeth that got a few laughs.

The knife was a cheap knockoff of an Italian automatic stiletto with a three inch blade that I picked up at a flea market for $25.00. It had imitation plastic mother-of-pearl grips, and I had honed it to razor sharpness with a diamond sharpening rod.

There is a legitimate, non-weapon need for switchblades. It just seems like it's too much to expect to ask the powers that be to exercise a little common sense when they make the rules.

Just my two cents.

Thank you for reviewing my post.

---Kevin

I just want to know how you got the umlauts over the o in the thread title?
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Bitten View Post
    I just want to know how you got the umlauts over the o in the thread title?
    It's mágic! Hold Alt and hit 0246 and your number pad.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post

There was kind of a catch-22 involved, because we were forbidden to carry weapons, and an automatic knife qualified as a weapon under a strict interpretation of the rules . . . rules that were written by insurance companies and administrators that never set foot in the streets.

Never-the-less, I still carried a small one on occasion, and I can honestly say that it helped me save several peoples' lives. .....

Wow, valuable lessons here. Did you ever present these scenarios (and the results) to your superiors? It seems like common sense that every EMT should have a sturdy blade available for the situations you describe.

Good work on getting the people out!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Wow, valuable lessons here. Did you ever present these scenarios (and the results) to your superiors? It seems like common sense that every EMT should have a sturdy blade available for the situations you describe.

Good work on getting the people out!

-
    Thank you. And yes, I discussed such things with my superiors, but it's like talking to a brick wall. A familiar quote is "...it's better for something bad to happen because you followed the rules than for something good to happen because you broke the rules, as the rules are an absolute. There is no such thing as an exception to the rules when it comes to our weapons policy, and that is that..."

I was actually very sympathetic to our weapons policy, but I wanted an automatic knife for a rescue tool, not a weapon. In fairness to my employers--and I do try to be fair when engaging in an honest debate--we had a lot of young, testosterone-poisoned, gung-ho, immature men working for us. I do suppose that my superiors tried to make policy apply equally across the board to avoid the appearance of favoritism, but the situation still sucked.

In my mind, the better approach would have been to discipline and, if necessary, fire people who act stupid and immature, but we were hurting for help and there always seemed to be a shortage of EMTs and paramedics.

Thank you for responding to my post.

Best,

---Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    ...In general, autos are fun to play with but there are better options for actual use.
    +1.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links