Opinions...Spyderco P'Kal?

This is a discussion on Opinions...Spyderco P'Kal? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone own one of these? Any opinions positive or negative? :: Spyderco Product Details :: YouTube - P'Kal Folder Carry and Deployment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions...Spyderco P'Kal?

Opinions...Spyderco P'Kal?

Anyone own one of these? Any opinions positive or negative?

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

YouTube - P'Kal Folder Carry and Deployment

2. Remove Ads

I don't own that particular Spyderco, but I do own a Wave Endura. I love the Wave deployment of the knife. My next knife is going to be a Emerson. I don't know how much you know about the Filipino Pikal fighting style, but the grip is different than a standard knife.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lade-pics.html

I don't own one, but you pretty much can't go wrong with Spyderco.
    You can get the same basic effect with one of these for a lot less money. Delica 4 LWT Emerson "WAVE" - Plain, Combo or Serrated Edge

You can get a live blade, and a drone, for less than a P'kal.

The drones have recently been discontinued, though. Act fast if you want one.
    Delica 4 Emerson "WAVE" Trainer - DISCONTINUED - LIMITED STOCK

I carry a Delica4 Wave in place of a P'kal.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    Anyone own one of these? Any opinions positive or negative?

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

YouTube - P'Kal Folder Carry and Deployment
    The P'kal is designed as a fighting knife and it's well respected in the role of a fighting folder. As the name implies, it is specifically designed for an edge-in, blade-down grip and the removable "wave" feature for the blade is designed with this deployment in mind.

My issue with it? If you want a "tactical" or "fighting" anything, you want it to be as dummy-proof as humanly possible. That said, nothing is more simple than the "grip it and rip it" of a fixed blade. You grab the handle, you give 'er a good yank, and provided you're smart enough to orient your edge the way you want it for fighting when it comes out, you're good to go.

Most of the tactical training guys would jump all over you if you posted another thread about carrying your pistol without a chambered round to help reduce the chance of a AD/ND. They will go on and on about how it's less efficient, how you're risking yourself on a fairly complex maneuver by having to grab the slide and rack it back to chamber a round before you can present the weapon to the target in the heat of the moment, how carrying it in a not-ready manner just means that when you really need it to work, it might not because things can go wrong...you're gonna get yourself killed that way...

And then you come to these same people and ask them why they carry a folding knife that they have to futz around with...in the heat of the moment when their life is on the line...with fine manipulation as they shift grips from retrieving it from a pocket or belt, to opening the blade, to a fighting grip...and they give you this blank look like you're obviously some sort of idiot and say, "And your point?"

The P'kal is definitely a good knife for what it's designed for, a Pikal grip fighting folder. If you really want a fighting knife for that kind of scratch (and fixed blades are legal where you are), why don't you make it easier on yourself and make the deployment in defense of your life that much easier when tenths of a second can count by buying a good fixed blade instead?

Point well taken, psychophipps. Being fairly new to the "defensive knife" world, and after having owned a folder for a few months, I can begin to see the weakness in having to open the thing in a stressful scenario. Hence my interest in fixed blades or some sort of opening system like the P'Kal. I'd like to settle on a design and get comfortable handling it, then move on to some defensive blade training. No sense carrying something that you don't really know how to use... Thanks for the replies and good information.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money until I was sure of which method of carry and deployment was going to be my preference. That being the case my recommendation would be to go with the less expensive, but no compromise in quality, Delica or Endura wave to use and practice in both standard and reverse grip to see which becomes your preference.

Another plus is that both of these knives (Delica and Endure Wave) are sold as trainers and live blades so you can practice the various types of carry, deployment and utilization safely.
    Last edited by 2edgesword; February 6th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Even with an opener like the Wave or the pseudo-wave of the P'kal you're still going to to be swapping your grip between initial withdrawal and presentation. If a folder is your only legal carry knife option, go for it. If it's not, then I would suggest at least looking around a bit first. You can get a Clinch Pick or Disciple for around the scratch of a P'kal and these inverted-edge fixed blades are supposed to be top-notch.

If your new to the game decide what you want it for ? decide what style is most comfortable and useful for you etc...Is it for many uses or just plain tactical close quarters self defense...though a fixed blade would pose less theoretical problems in its presentation keep in mind when one takes out the p'kal and assuming you have practiced properly it is still a one hand application so I don't see the relevance to a one handed application when carrying cocked and locked and a two hand application when chambering a round..though on the outset it seems like sound thinking with closer scrutiny is a poor example.
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

Not the best example, but the point was to demonstrate that adding movement to the deployment of a weapon when you're up to your neck in it is not the best idea if you can skip it.
    If you can't legally carry a fixed blade legally then obviously go for a folder. If you can carry a fixed blade, and the knife in question is primary for defensive purposes, than a fixed blade is easier, faster, and less apt for porkchopping during deployment during such instances.

my advice: skip the P'kal, and go with an Endura, or some other model. the P'kal is a little too specialized to be practical for EDC, i think. i have a ton of knives that i don't carry, because they're all specialized for one purpose or another. the only knife that finds it's way to my pocket on a daily basis, for the past 3 years, is the Spyderco Chinook II. to me, it's near perfect: it's a modified Bowie shaped blade, so it has length, width, thickness, and a nice curve in it's belly. i can use it for fighting, cooking, cleaning game/fish, working in a warehouse, or household chores.

from what i've learned, specialized knives live up to their potential when you have specialized training. if you do in fact have a background in FMA/silat fighting, then the P'Kal might be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    If you can't legally carry a fixed blade legally then obviously go for a folder. If you can carry a fixed blade, and the knife in question is primary for defensive purposes, than a fixed blade is easier, faster, and less apt for porkchopping during deployment during such instances.
    or this^^^. i'd love to be able to carry a big fixed blade if i could. the laws in my state are ambiguous at best, so i carry a folder to stay on the safe side.

I carry a Spyderco Street Beat with a blade of 3-1/2" when I don't have my Glock in it's place. Not every fixed blade has to be some mondo Rambo knife with a 7"+ blade. I recently picked up a Benchmade Activator 211 with a 2-1/8" blade and a A/O length of 5-1/2" (review up soon). It's certainly not my primary SD knife, but it's enough to cut some psycho off of me if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I carry a Spyderco Street Beat with a blade of 3-1/2" when I don't have my Glock in it's place. Not every fixed blade has to be some mondo Rambo knife with a 7"+ blade. I recently picked up a Benchmade Activator 211 with a 2-1/8" blade and a A/O length of 5-1/2" (review up soon). It's certainly not my primary SD knife, but it's enough to cut some psycho off of me if it comes to that.
    well, i wouldn't carry a superninjatacticalrambo knife, either. it's just that PA knife laws are hazy; it's easy peezy when it comes to firearms, but carrying a knife is a minefield here.

i do have one or two smaller fixed blades that carry on occasion: a CRKT Ryan Plan B, and a M-Tech Strider knockoff. i would just be nice to be able to carry a Bowie.

As a practical matter I had one and liked it until I stuck my hand in my pocket to retrieve something at the liquor store and came out dripping blood. Tip up carry is bad enough but that particular knife got me twice before I sold it.

I agree that a small fixed blade is certainly preferable to any folder but there are many folks that can't carry them due to the law in their jurisdiction. Carry of a fixed blade requires you to have a sheath normally mounted somewhere on the front of the body which kinda of nixes the argument that your knife is a tool.
    IMHO.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    As a practical matter I had one and liked it until I stuck my hand in my pocket to retrieve something at the liquor store and came out dripping blood. Tip up carry is bad enough but that particular knife got me twice before I sold it.
    - How were you carrying the knife? I always have tip up blades against the back of my pocket, where it would be impossible to get my hand in there. It's also the most reliable way to open a Wave knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links