Knife laws in Germany

Knife laws in Germany

This is a discussion on Knife laws in Germany within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For our international members: What does German law say about carrying a knife. I usually carry a knife for utilitarian reasons, but do not want ...

Thread: Knife laws in Germany

Knife laws in Germany

For our international members:

What does German law say about carrying a knife. I usually carry a knife for utilitarian reasons, but do not want to run afoul of German law.

What resources can I reference? And are they available through a translation service?

I'm getting ready to move there (3-yr tour, military) in a couple of months...guns are going to my brother's house in another state....so no carrying for a while.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Maybe I can give you some insight.

First off, the geman law is quite a mess.

Stricly spoken, all modern folders, which are one-hand-operated AND have a lock of some kind (like Endura, Griptilian, Strider and so) on are forbidden to carry WITHOUT legal reason.

Problem is, there is no explanation, what this legal might be... So you are at the mercy of the cpos, if stopped and frisked.

SAKs and traditional Slipjoints are ok, folders which have to be manipulated by 2 Hands are ok as well.

BUT:
    Having not nearly enough officers to deal with the daily tasks, your unlikely to be stopped and searched if you blend in.

Fixed bades:
    There is a "12cm rule". A Fixed with a shorter blade than 12cm is fine, unless it is a "Fighting-Kife", e.g. a Dagger.

Go with a shorter blade and you will be fine.

Don´t ask for common sense, its a frigging law, we dont have to understand this mess...

Hope this helps?

For those who are not so good at math 12cm is 3.389 inches.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Ahhh...the metric system, I´m sorry!

While I was stationed there (USAF assigned to Ruppertsweiler NATO Airstation) I always carried my Gerber and Leatherman on me on and off duty and never got bothered. Like TheHunt said, the Polizei are really far and few between to be checking everyone to see if they have a knife on the belt.

You need to worry more about those darn roaving road side cameras in unmarked cars or vans then anything else over there. If you see headlights flashing you by oncoming traffic, immediately slow down, there will be a camera shortly ahead of you.

You'll be fine over there as long as you're not carrying anything too big and obvious. Germany was the best assigment I ever had. In fact, I loved it so much I have a part of it with me every day of my life, my beautiful, ex-German wife who is now a new American citizen.

Have fun over there!!!

I still have a german CCW issued in Frankfurt. I am fluent in German.

Bei den Messern darf die Klinge nicht quer stehen, also ein T-förmiges Messer, the knife can not form a T (push/palm knife) bei dem der Griff in der Faust liegt und die Klinge parallel zum Arm herausragt, wäre verboten. Offenbar benutzt man im Pelz- und Ledergewerbe solche Messer, um die Tierhaut vom Körper zu trennen, so dass es hier eine Ausnahme für diese Berufe gibt (§40 Abs. 3)when the grip is held in the hand the blad is not allowed to be parralel to the arm then goes on about a knife used in the leather industry. Spring- und Fallmesser (1.4.1) sind (fast) ausnahmslos verboten. Beim Springmesser schnellt die Klinge durch Federkraft hervor, beim Fallmesser wird sie durch einen Mechanismus freigegeben und kommt durch eine Schleuderbewegung der Hand oder Nach-unten-Halten hervor. Beim Springmesser gibt es eine Ausnahme, nach der es doch erlaubt ist:assisted openersand switch blades are almost all illega; except

Wenn aus dem Griff höchstens 8,5 cm Klinge herausragen,the blade must be smaller that 8.5 cm

die Klinge in der Mitte mindestens 20% der Länge der Klinge hat (also kein spitzer Dorn ist)the middle of the blade width must be at least 20% of the length(does not come to a needle point)

die Rückseite nicht geschliffen ist (also nicht schneiden kann)the backside of the blade can not be sharpened

der Rücken durchgehend ist (vielleicht will das Gesetz hier gezackte Rücken ausschließen)the spine has to be a straight piece no indentations etc

I'll post some more in a second..basically you can carry a bowie knife because a bowie knife is made as a hunting tool you can carry a machete because it is a tool to cut brush..if you carry a bayonet you go to jail because it is used to kill people that is the only purpose of it
    Led By Love Of Country

http://www.tooltex.de/pdf/ratgeber_messerrecht.pdf

Gibt es eine Einschränkung der Klingenlänge?are there restrictions on blade length?
    Eine Begrenzung der zulässigen Klingenlänge gibt es nur bei
    Springmessern Only switchblades have a restriction on blade length. Bei allen anderen Messern
    (auch solchen, die als Waffe eingestuft sind, weil sie zum Beispiel
    eine beidseitig scharfe Klinge haben) existiert keine Beschränkung!all other knifes even the ones considered weapons are not restricted
    Die Einstufung eines Messers als Waffe ist
    ebenfalls unabhängig von der Klingenlänge.the categorization of knives as a weapon is not decided upon by blade length
    An dem hartnäckigen Gerücht,now to the hard headed rumor jedes Messer ab
    einer Klingenlänge von 25 Zentimetern sei eine Waffeevery knife over 25 cm is a weapon
    (oder jedes Taschenmesser ab zehn Zentimetern),
    ist nichts dran. Auch ein Bowie-Messer (und sei es
    noch so groß) ist keine Waffe – es sei denn, die
    Klinge ist beidseitig scharf. or every pocket knife over 10 cmis not fact..even a bowie knife regardless of kow big is not a weaponDas bedeutet, dass es
    auch bei Klappmessern keine Begrenzung derthat also means there are no length restrictions on pocket knives

so to clear up a little,,no switchblades or a knife that thru gravity or a handmovement causes the blade to open or come out of the front (unless under 8.5 cm and then not out the front or double edged)
    I carried a fixed blade boker about 4" blade length with a wood or sometimes stag handle in a sheath and never had problems..so a neck knife would be fine stay away from the tanto points they could be misinterpreted as a needle point , go with a drop point..I hope I gave you enough info
    Led By Love Of Country

just noticed a neat thing on yahoo...some foreign language sites have a "translate" button...here ya go

Translation result for http://www.arsmartialis.com/recht/waffen.html
    Led By Love Of Country

Sponsored Links