Spyderco better than Kershaw??

This is a discussion on Spyderco better than Kershaw?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Balog Every Kershaw I've handled felt cheap, like a small step up from the no-name $5 folders at Walmart or Big 5. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco better than Kershaw??

Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    Every Kershaw I've handled felt cheap, like a small step up from the no-name $5 folders at Walmart or Big 5. Every Spyderco has felt solid, well crafted, and designed to do a job. They may not always be secksie to look at, but they are great tools.
    not sure what kershaws you have handled. but it doesnt seem like any that ive ever held.

2. Remove Ads

Lone Wolf

Buckles: the great thing about these products is almost everyone can easily lay hands on both products and compare for themselves. "It feels cheap" is so subjective that there's no real way I can argue with you. I'd just encourage everyone considering between the two to try for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Balog View Post
    Buckles: the great thing about these products is almost everyone can easily lay hands on both products and compare for themselves. "It feels cheap" is so subjective that there's no real way I can argue with you. I'd just encourage everyone considering between the two to try for themselves.
    agreed

I much prefer Spyderco over Kershaw. One big plus for Spyderco is that they make trainers. You can't train to use a knife as a defensive weapon with a live blade. Deployment of folders, learning how to get your tool into the fight, requires lots of training.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I much prefer Spyderco over Kershaw. One big plus for Spyderco is that they make trainers. You can't train to use a knife as a defensive weapon with a live blade. Deployment of folders, learning how to get your tool into the fight, requires lots of training.
    well, you can, but it'll hurt more. you'll probably learn alot faster though.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    well, you can, but it'll hurt more. you'll probably learn alot faster though.
    It's hard to find training partners who are willing to let you use a live blade. If you do find one, they tend not to last very long.

Needed a new carry knife for various reasons, and bought a Spyderco. :)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    a great point that I forgot to mention...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have this Kershaw, KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details works great, stays sharp
    Today we need a nation of Minute Men citizens who are not only
    prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
    freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life. J.F.K.

I've had both Spyderco and Kershaw folders, and definitely prefer the Spyderco. The Kershaw I bought mainly because it was an assisted opener, and it turned out that I didn't care for that at all. The Endura I carry is flatter overall and the handle is more comfortable in my hand. That being said, I gave the aforementioned Kershaw to my brother and he carries it all the time. It's his favorite knife.

On the bright side, neither brand is so expensive that you can't afford to check both out and see for yourself. (Unless you spend all your spare money on ammo and range time...)

I've carried a Kershaw 1550 ST for years, paid around $55 for it and have been very pleased with it. The blade stays sharp, handle isn't slippery when wet and it always opens quickly. The only complaint that I have is, if I drop it, the blade will pop open, which is not desirable. I've never tried a Spiderco though.

Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, Columbia River are very competetive manufacturing companies in the marketplace. As such, they market across a wide spectrum of that marketplace in an attempt to secure maximum sales. Each company has a variety of knives that range from very high quality to not so high quality. They all make some very good knives and they all make some less high quality knives. Caveat Emptor!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I own a large quantity of Benchmade, Spyderco, and Kershaw knives. The Spyderco and Benchmade knives beat the socks off of Kershaw's. I feel that Spyderco and Benchmade are in one class of knives while Kershaw, CRKT, and Gerber are in another class. Out of the hundreds of quality knives I own I always turn to my Spyderco Endura 4's for EDC.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

I currently have a Kershaw Tanto Blur and I love it, it is very solid, has no wiggle room when locked open, is sharp as all heck, and I think looks great.

I've been looking at getting a Kershaw Tanto Groove because it looks easier to grip.

What Spiders could I look at in comparison?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links