Spyderco better than Kershaw?? - Page 3

Spyderco better than Kershaw??

This is a discussion on Spyderco better than Kershaw?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by yoyomeng I currently have a Kershaw Tanto Blur and I love it, it is very solid, has no wiggle room when locked ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyomeng View Post
    I currently have a Kershaw Tanto Blur and I love it, it is very solid, has no wiggle room when locked open, is sharp as all heck, and I think looks great.

I've been looking at getting a Kershaw Tanto Groove because it looks easier to grip.

What Spiders could I look at in comparison?
    Spyderco Endura4

I should also ask I just discovered that there are folders that catch your pocket when pulling them out and open for you.

Does the Endura do that?

Edit:

I don't see a little hook or anything that would make it do that. So does the Ebndura 'wave' open?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyomeng View Post
    I should also ask I just discovered that there are folders that catch your pocket when pulling them out and open for you.

Does the Endura do that?

Edit:

I don't see a little hook or anything that would make it do that. So does the Ebndura 'wave' open?
    the Endura Wave model does do this, along with several other spydercos that have the wave feature.

Sorry, haven't read all the posts. But at the shot shot the kershaw sales rep said Ken Onion's contract with them ended and he went to Spyderco. So the quality may drift in that direction. Or Kershaw may find some new talent.

I have a number of Spydercos and all are excellent quality and function extremely well. Either the Delica4 and Endura4 are my daily carries, depending on the day. Both have been perfectly reliable and hold an excellent edge. I also have a LadyBug on my key ring. If you are military or LE, their auto openers are also of excellent quality. I use the Spyderco Tri-angle ceramic sharpening system to keep the edges keen.

If you are AD military, LE, or rescue, you can get an SAS (Serve and Save) discounted price on Spyderco products. You can also get them through GSA if eligible. In my experience, Spyderco provides outstanding support for military members.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    tag

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Sorry, haven't read all the posts. But at the shot shot the kershaw sales rep said Ken Onion's contract with them ended and he went to Spyderco. So the quality may drift in that direction. Or Kershaw may find some new talent.
    Ken Onion went with CRKT, actually.

sypderco is da best!

Now that I own a FFG Delica, I can comment on how it compares to my Kershaw Whirlwind. I like the Spyderco FFG Delica better than my Kershaw Whirlwind. Its thinner, doesn't have any blade movement, fits in my hand better, sharper from the factory, and I like the blue color of my Delica. I have recently also felt a Kershaw Leek at the store and I liked it much better than my Whirlwind.

From my limited experience I think their quality is very close but the Spyderco may be slightly better in terms of materials and crafstmanship.

That being said, I do feel that my Delica does have a "toy" like feel to it. I also expected it to feel like it would be better quality. I am not saying that it isn't great quality, it just doesn't feel like it is.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I feel that with MSRP comparisons, for like-bladed and equipped knives, Spyderco and Benchmade are probably a better comparison than Kershaw and Spyderco.

I have a Kershaw, not sure the model but 2.5" blade w/ assisted open feature.
    Bought it at Bass Pro 5 yrs. ago and has been clipped to my pocket ever since.
    Good quality, reasonably priced and very handy w/ partial serrated blade. Like the assisted opening feature and sharp blade. Great for opening mail!
    Considering getting a KershawBlur for a little more defensive capability. Also made in America!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links