Spyderco better than Kershaw??

This is a discussion on Spyderco better than Kershaw?? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had a Kershaw Whirlwind for about 9 years. For some reason I paid about $90 at the mall . Now I see amazon ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyderco better than Kershaw??

I have had a Kershaw Whirlwind for about 9 years. For some reason I paid about $90 at the mall . Now I see amazon has it for $45. I originally purchased it because I thought the assisted opening was cool. I noticed that the quality doesn't seem to be top notch. If you open it you can feel a little give/wiggle room in the blade. I think it is decent quality but not a $90 knife but $45. It also seems like the steel is too soft.

I like that Spyderco has a great selection of knives but they do not explain the difference/benefits of the different blade materials in layman terms. It is nice to know the composition of the blade BUT they need to somehow explain it or categorize it better. For example: They could list the list blades in order of corrosion resistance, sharpness, edge retention, etc. Personally I think they try to get real technical to make Spyderco look like a really advanced knife company. Come on, do they really need 25+ steel variants? Just pick maybe the 5 best.

Sorry for rambling but does anyone know the differences between the blade materials?

What models are best for EDC? I am looking at Cat, Centofante 3, Chicago, Endura 4, Delica 4, Native, Native 3, and Manix2.

How does Spyderco compare to Kershaw, Buck, and leatherman in terms of durability, quality, and fit and finish?

the biggest differences between Spydies and Kershaws are, in my opinion, simple aesthetics. i've owned Kershaws, and they were fine, but i just like Spydercos more, they way they feel in the hand, and their look. Spyderco also has a much larger variety of blades, so you have more of a chance of finding the knife profile you really want.

i wouldn't ever buy a Buck knife, unless it was a Buck/Strider model. Leatherman makes great multi-tools, but i have no opinon on their knives. as far as i know, Kershaws are better than the both of them.

i've never handled the Cat, but i've handled the Endura, the Native, the Delica, and the Manix. i like them all.

For years I carried a Kershaw Leek. Nice knife, solid lock, etc. My only complaint was that when sweaty it was hard to hold onto. Fast forward to owning a Spyderco Delica and Endura ZDP. I'm not a Spyderco addict and would have one of everything if I could afford it. The way they hold in your hand, the multi directional grips, the way they lock up. Not to mention the steels they use :) :) The regular steel in the Endura/Delica works for me. I did buy the ZDP but am not fully convinced it's that much better at holding an edge.

Have to put a plug in for their customer service. I lost the main screw from my Endura, and a simple email to the company had a new screw, bushings, and catalog at my doorstep. With instructions to place a small amount of locktite on. Can't beat that, they made me a customer for life :)
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I like them both, not really a knife I would carry much (Have a kershaw, because it was a gift from a friend) and have yet to see a spyderco that really got my attention. Personally I like Benchmade and will probably be buying another one soon. It might not be better (Spy-Ker) but its more on what you personally like. The ker I have is real light (G10 handles) and nice just not something I would carry much (Too light for me)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I think Kershaw has a lot of great knives, but they've also got a lot of mediocre knives. Also, while a lot of their models are now sporting high-grade materials, a lot of their knives are still made from cheap steels and plastics.

All of Spyderco's regular line are made from high-quality materials. Only the Byrd budget line use cheaper materials.

I think very highly of Spyderco's locking mechanisms. They're very solid and secure.

Additionally, the factory edge on a Spyderco is outstanding. Of course, so is that of a Kershaw.

Spyderco actually does have an education page, where they discuss the merits and weaknesses of the various materials they use. You should check that out.

IMNSHO, Spydercos are much better knives than Kershaws...

Every Spyderco I've ever had has been top-notch. My Delica is 10 years old and has no "play" whatsoever. One of my Enduras has ridden in my pocket for about 6 years now and still works great, despite thousands of "wave openings"

Every Kershaw I have ever bought self-destructed within no more than a couple of months (took 2 or 3 before I learned my lesson and quit buying the things).

Considering that there's not much difference in price between the common Kershaws and the "flagship model" Spydercos (Endura, Delica, Native, etc.), I see no reason to waste time with Kershaw. The only exceptions I would make would be the metal-handled, frame-lock models like the Chive or Leek. Of course, I don't really consider either of those to be suitable for a "fighting folder" but if you just want a small utility knife they're ok.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I think Kershaw has a lot of great knives, but they've also got a lot of mediocre knives. Also, while a lot of their models are now sporting high-grade materials, a lot of their knives are still made from cheap steels and plastics.

All of Spyderco's regular line are made from high-quality materials. Only the Byrd budget line use cheaper materials.

I think very highly of Spyderco's locking mechanisms. They're very solid and secure.

Additionally, the factory edge on a Spyderco is outstanding. Of course, so is that of a Kershaw.

Spyderco actually does have an education page, where they discuss the merits and weaknesses of the various materials they use. You should check that out.
    Sorry for you to have to walk me through this but where is that page you are taking about?
    :: Spyderco Edge-U-Cation ::

I see the Steel Chart and the Steel element info but these pages clearly don't tell me much besides the fact that almost every element says increase strength or hardness.

I am looking for something that says for example, if you want a blade that is easy to sharpen, cuts cardboard well, and doesn't rust then a VG-10 with a flat ground would suit your needs. These are the knives with those options ____________________. If you want a knife that holds its edge very long but might not be as rust resistant, then go with a ZDP-189. These are the knives that come with this blade _________.

Most of Spyderco's knives use VG-10. I think this is just about the best of the super steels. It has a high corrosion resistance, takes a good edge, and keeps it for quite a while. At the same time, I think it's easier to sharpen than S30V, which is another high-end stainless.

VG-10 is an all-around steel, IMHO.

Most of Spyderco's knives use VG-10. I think this is just about the best of the super steels. It has a high corrosion resistance, takes a good edge, and keeps it for quite a while. At the same time, I think it's easier to sharpen than S30V, which is another high-end stainless.

VG-10 is an all-around steel, IMHO.
    Thank you. I probably will go with a VG-10. It sounds like what I am looking for.

i own several spydercos and several kershaws. I have to say that my spydercos just feel like they are made better. When i need a knife that im not worried about breaking or damaging, i go for my spydercos. When it comes down to it though, both companies make some great products. I think spyderco does better with their blade steels though. Most kershaws have a cheap SS blade, whereas most spyderco use vg-10. My favorite spyderco is my Atlantic Salt with the H1 blade. If you are looking for a tough knife with an amazing steel blade, check out the Salt line.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Thank you. I probably will go with a VG-10. It sounds like what I am looking for.

I like the waved Delica. It's a fairly innocuous size, comes in several colors, but could be an effective and serious defensive weapon. It's just kind of an all-around great knife. Some people like the bigger Endura, which is otherwise similar.

If you can do without the wave (Spyderhole is not that much slower), the Centofante III, I think, is a quite attractive and functional knife. That was actually my first good knife.

Other good starters on the larger side are the Military, Para-Military, and Manix. For the small side, a Ladybug is a great keychain knife- a small knife with the same high-quality materials as the Delica or Endrua- for only about $20. It is small, though.

I have the Centofante III, Police SE, Police PE, Harpy, Endura 4, and Delica 4. Most ppl start with Endura and Delica. Very good price with VG-10 steel. They are made in Seki City, Japan, same place as Katana swords. The Army/Navy store in Littleton, CO has great prices on several models. They sell over the internet at:

https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...hp?sub_id=1033

Every Kershaw I've handled felt cheap, like a small step up from the no-name $5 folders at Walmart or Big 5. Every Spyderco has felt solid, well crafted, and designed to do a job. They may not always be secksie to look at, but they are great tools.

You can also browse an enormous selection of Spydercos at my two favorite online knife dealers: newgraham.com, and gpknives.com. They're outstanding dealers. Extremely fast shipping, very low prices, good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I have the Centofante III, Police SE, Police PE, Harpy, Endura 4, and Delica 4. Most ppl start with Endura and Delica. Very good price with VG-10 steel. They are made in Seki City, Japan, same place as Katana swords. The Army/Navy store in Littleton, CO has great prices on several models. They sell over the internet at:

https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...hp?sub_id=1033
    You can also browse an enormous selection of Spydercos at my two favorite online knife dealers: newgraham.com, and gpknives.com. They're outstanding dealers. Extremely fast shipping, very low prices, good customer service.

Thanks for the links and your help. I will check them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links