Second Benchmade 710 in 11 years

This is a discussion on Second Benchmade 710 in 11 years within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wanted to share some info on the BM 710. I originally got one from my brother for my 17th birthday about 11 years ago. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just wanted to share some info on the BM 710.

I originally got one from my brother for my 17th birthday about 11 years ago. I have been carrying a knife daily since the age of 8 (I grew up on a hobby farm in North Texas). I was used to carrying CRKT, Buck, and Spyderco before this. But, the 710 quickly became my favorite knife. The axis lock is amazingly smooth. I have handled friends' stilletos and I prefer the axis lock over any of the auto assist openers. It opens and closes surprisingly fast with one hand.

The original 710 I had was lost one winter night while sleeping in a snow shelter in January in Minnesota. I returned to the shelter site in the spring and miraculously found the knife shining in the sun light after the snow melted. About two years later I lost the knife once again due to what I think was a loose pocket clip.

I had a hard time finding a 710 at the time (they were on backorder from the factory), so I purchased a 940 which I loved. After a few more years That knife fell out of my pocket while riding a motorcycle. I then bought a mini-griptillian which I have used to four years. But, I was not impressed with the overall quality of the griptillian, so I recently ordered a 710 from one of the few BM dealers in the state.

In my opinion, this is the best pocket folder ever made. I have used many different high end folders in the past, but none of them come close to the reliability, feel, and qualitiy of this knife. The D2 steel holds an edge for a very long period making it ideal for rough use and daily carry.

If anyone is considering this knife, I highly recommend biting the bullet and getting your hands on one. It is a bit spendy, but you get what you pay for. Thanks.

710 Details | Benchmade
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I bought the 710 in 1998 or 1999. It was my first tactical folder. I've bought and used many others but the 710 was- is- and will be the best. You can't carry a handgun around Europe. That said I took the best thing I could. I carried this knife through Germany, Czech republic, Austria and Hungary. I've used the knife for everything and it's still in great shape.

I 2nd your testimony- they're GREAT!
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I have one that I carry all the time. One of the best ever.

I agree - they are excellent. But why oh why are they so expensive? I think someone is getting rich.

Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    I agree - they are excellent. But why oh why are they so expensive? I think someone is getting rich.
    Have you priced any custom or quality factory knives lately ? In the general scheme of things this knife gets you great bang for the buck.

My first 710 had the 154CM steel and wouldn't hold an edge. I returned it for warrenty and the replacement has the D2 steel. Much better knife. I wondered at the time why they changed the steel, now I know. The new one is holding up much better.

I have a Benchmade Kulgera and it is my favorite knife. The Axis lock is hands down the best lock on the market. Being able to simply "flip" the blade open is an incredible thing.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish
    If anyone is considering this knife, I highly recommend biting the bullet and getting your hands on one.

The Benchmade 710 is a quality piece of workmanship. You'll like how it feels in your hands and how well it sharpens. I use mine daily for everything a knife could be used for. I use and abuse it for everything from skinning a critter to opening boxes, cans or other containers... and I keep it sharp for whatever task comes next. I don't care how it looks, or how much wear is showing. It's no "safe queen"; It's a tool.

"We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I love the axis lock. I was carrying a CRKT K.I.S.S. for a while and loved the knife, but I had a liner lock failure that sliced open my pinkie finger and I will never carry a liner lock knife again.

The axis lock is among the strongest locks in the industry.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I picked up two THICK Benchmade product catalogues at the GS the other day and I'm so overwhelmed. I'm looking to replace my old Gerber pocket folder. The 710 is nice but there are so many beautiful folders in the catalogue...decisions,decisions.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I picked up two THICK Benchmade product catalogues at the GS the other day and I'm so overwhelmed. I'm looking to replace my old Gerber pocket folder. The 710 is nice but there are so many beautiful folders in the catalogue...decisions,decisions.
    Just look at the ones with the Axis lock, that will filter your choices down a lot.

I agree. The axis lock is the only kind of lock I trust. It is smooth and safe. If you haven't handled one, do not purchase a folder without experiencing the smoothness of the axis.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

I'll keep that in mind thanks. I have been looking at the 950 Rift, and the 940 but I'm not sure theirs so many choices. I still haven't ruled out the 710 either.

What are you guys using to sharpen your pocket benchmade's? They said if you send them back they will sharpen them for free but I can only imagine how long that would take.

Then of coarse comes the question of half serrated or not. I have carried a half serrated blade for a long time and love it but I am thinking about switching.
    Last edited by Adkjoe; February 15th, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I've had five Benchmade 710s, one in ATS-34, one in 154CM, one in M2, and two in D2.

My favorite Benchmade.

I was checking out a few axis lock knives at the gun show, think I frustrated the guy selling them kept asking to see a few different ones, beautiful knives, but need to see them somewhere else :( What would you all reccoment as a first BM axis lock? I would like a Serrated (Partial) tanto.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links