Interesting experience at the store

This is a discussion on Interesting experience at the store within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am regularly the only guy amongst my regular crowd of people or workmates who ALWAYS has a knife on me with which to work....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting experience at the store

I am regularly the only guy amongst my regular crowd of people or workmates who ALWAYS has a knife on me with which to work.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

If I'm wearing pants, I've got a knife or two on me.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have a large assortment of pocket knives that I've obtained throughout the years. My EDC is a 1975 U.S. Army Knife I got at a flea market for $5. It's identical to the one my Dad carries that he got while in the Army in the mid 50s. It's not the best one I have, but one of my favorites. My Dad also bought me a genuine Swiss Army Infantry Knife while he was in Switzerland on a trip. Lots of El Cheapos as well. I've always got one in my pocket and someone always needs one.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Interesting topic. I recently switched m folder from a sog twitch to a
    Amazon.com: Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-12Z Zytel Serrated Edge Tanto Blade Knife: Home Improvement

I use my knife a LOT at work and noticed that i was getting a lot more "looks" when using the crkt then when I used to carry my sog. Now I use the blade on my gerber cruical tool most of the time to avoid making people nervous. I would switch back to the smaller less 'tactical" looking blade but because I cant carry my pistol at work I like to have a decent blade on me.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

It was heritage and tradition to get your 1st knife on your 5th birthday. I still have it plus many many more.
    My Dad told me: Back in the old country, ALL men carried knives!
    I'm not sure how he knew that, he was born in NY. But I like the thought!!!!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    It was heritage and tradition to get your 1st knife on your 5th birthday. I still have it plus many many more.
    My Dad told me: Back in the old country, ALL men carried knives!
    I'm not sure how he knew that, he was born in NY. But I like the thought!!!!
    I'm only 32 but I was born in the "Old" Country. My grandmother gave me my first swiss army knife at age 5 or 6.

Nowadays if a teenage boy has a pocket knife folks treat him like he is some kind of mass murderer.

I had a small buck folding knife when I was around 5 or 6. Maybe even younger. I carried a swiss army knife at school, EEK, yes at school. Now granted I'm only 24! It was a private school, and I was always helping open a box, use the philips bit to work on a computer, etc. The principal was also one of my teachers, and he never said anything. It was a TOOL, and used as such. Not sure how that would go over now though... A man isn't a man without a good knife.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I got a reverse surprise at a local beer/liquor shop a while back. I know one of the guys who works there, but not the girl who was working the front counter. We were talking about SD, potential robberies (they've never had one), and safety on the FL Gator's campus. The girl working the front counter flipped out a four inch blade and snapped it open...I did not expect that, nor would some unsuspecting dirtbag who would try to hassle this particularly young student.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been carrying a knife since my early teens daily. My high school teachers knew to ask me if they needed a knife. I don't put much thought into what others think about it. And in reality 99% of folks around here just don't care. It's expected. But if I ever hand someone a knife and tell them it's sharp they better believe me! The last guy that thought I was not serious nearly cut his finger to the bone with it.

I have a gentlemans knife as well. It's in my dresser drawer and may not see much use anymore. It was my Grandpa's Old Timer. After misplacing it too many times I have officially retired it so that I can keep it safe. That knife has been the end of many apples. And it's on the short list of sentimental things that I have kept.

I've been carrying a knife of one kind or another since I was about 10 or so. Most of the time it was a 2.5-3" Buck folder. For the last 15 years it has been a 2-blade Swiss Army knife. The last couple of years I have also been carrying a Kershaw Blur, as well. It generally draws lots of wide-eyed expressions so I keep it for "special" occasions.

FWIW, the blades on my SAK are as sharp as the one on the Blur.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Was visiting a friend of mine in Florida, she moved down there from Michigan a few years back. My wife and daughters were down there for the friends daughters birthday party.
    The friend was opening the presents after the party, and had one of those blister packs that kids toys come in. She held her hand out to another of her friends down there, and said "You have a knife right?"

The guy gave her this look, like she just called him a dirty name and replied "Why on earth would I have a knife on me"

To which I promptly pulled out my CRKT KISS, flipped the blade out, turned it around and put the handle in her hand saying "Because a gentleman always has a knife when a lady needs one" to him.

She laughed and said "Thats why I miss Michigan men"

For her birthday I got her a nice benchmade 527 and a sharpener

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Was visiting a friend of mine in Florida, she moved down there from Michigan a few years back. My wife and daughters were down there for the friends daughters birthday party.
    The friend was opening the presents after the party, and had one of those blister packs that kids toys come in. She held her hand out to another of her friends down there, and said "You have a knife right?"

The guy gave her this look, like she just called him a dirty name and replied "Why on earth would I have a knife on me"

To which I promptly pulled out my CRKT KISS, flipped the blade out, turned it around and put the handle in her hand saying "Because a gentleman always has a knife when a lady needs one" to him.

For her birthday I got her a nice benchmade 527 and a sharpener
    That girl is going to make some man a GREAT wife one day!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

That is a great quote and situation:)

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    ...said "You have a knife right?"

I grew up carrying a knife in my pocket since I was a kid, over the last 10 years or so it's been a Gerber multitool with needlenose pliers, only recently has that gone by the wayside when my last nylon holster died(those needlenose eat holes in the nylon). I haven't gotten around to making something up for it yet but one of these days it's either going to get another case or I'm going to pick up some new pocketknife or multi tool. I actually should pick up another multi tool(I've got like 5 broken tools on my Gerber but it's at least 10+ years old) since I've got the bad habit of not treating a pocket knife well, and at least multi tools tend to last longer because I don't break tips etc as often;)

Luke

How many of you guys carry "Gentlement knives"? I have one I use on occasions. (Have it right now) rarely ever use it because I carry a folder but for work I have it in my pocket. made a lanyard out of suede strips and put beads (WAS really bored last night) I was just wondering if this is an every day folder for some?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I work in an office environment and I usually carry a Gentleman’s Knife, I don’t get funny looks that often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links