Interesting experience at the store - Page 3

Interesting experience at the store

This is a discussion on Interesting experience at the store within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my EDC knife is not a gentlemans folder. Its 100% practical. Currently I'm carrying a Gerber Evo Jr . Not an assisted opener, but one ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting experience at the store

my EDC knife is not a gentlemans folder. Its 100% practical.

Currently I'm carrying a Gerber Evo Jr. Not an assisted opener, but one with a finger stud on the back, so with a quick flick its open and locked.

Previously was a CRKT KISS that was lost, and dozens other.

I have noticed though, the Evo Jr could easily be mistaken for a pen clipped to my pocket by someone who doesnt know better as the clip rides so high on the knife.

I carry a SOG Trident myself along with my M&P. I've carried it at client banks before; some give me looks and some don't. Most are small community banks here in Oklahoma and probably carry a knife themselves. To me it's a tool, and I use it all the time. Opening and breaking down boxes, stripping wires. Heck, I've even used it to cut drywall on more than one occasion to make way for a wall plate or whatever.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I will admite this and will probably take some heat, some knives make really really good hammers.

my cheapy bali was a good hammer and a cheap folder was good as a nail remover.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I will admite this and will probably take some heat, some knives make really really good hammers.

my cheapy bali was a good hammer and a cheap folder was good as a nail remover.
    Yeah, I've used my leatherman (closed only) as a blunt force instrument before, but only sparingly. Not the best tool for the job, but hey if its the only tool you have...

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Was visiting a friend of mine in Florida, she moved down there from Michigan a few years back. My wife and daughters were down there for the friends daughters birthday party.
    The friend was opening the presents after the party, and had one of those blister packs that kids toys come in. She held her hand out to another of her friends down there, and said "You have a knife right?"

The guy gave her this look, like she just called him a dirty name and replied "Why on earth would I have a knife on me"

To which I promptly pulled out my CRKT KISS, flipped the blade out, turned it around and put the handle in her hand saying "Because a gentleman always has a knife when a lady needs one" to him.

She laughed and said "Thats why I miss Michigan men"

For her birthday I got her a nice benchmade 527 and a sharpener
    Classic.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

1001 uses for a blade in need.
    Leatherman is a lifesaver!
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Yes it is, Really like my Leatherman Skeletool and retired my Wave into my toolbox. HAve a cheapy in my motorcycle tool roll bag that might get swapped for the wave. not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    How many of you guys carry "Gentlement knives"?
    My 2-blade Swiss Army Knife IS my Gentleman's knife.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My Spyderco Street Beat certainly fits the bill of a "gentleman's knife". It's ergonomics are excellent, the polished VG-10 and Micarta scales look mighty nice with a good pair of slacks, and it is more than tough enough to match various ungentleman-like situations that might come up.

I carry a Case Sodbuster Jr.
    One of the sharpest pocket knives out of the box, and I've only had to sharpen it twice in a year, despite almost daily use.
    I also have a rainbow Kershaw that I carry for "dress" events (xmas, thanksgiving)
    A Ka-bar Warthog resides in my center console for serious purposes, along with some cheapo $2 mini-knife for opening CD's and snacks.

A guy at work asked me why I carry a knife, despite the fact we have box cutters lying everywhere. And that *** still uses his keys to open boxes I just don't get some people.

I don't feel a man should ever go without a knife, where legal (no courthouses, etc). I have far too many people ask me to borrow a knife weekly. Makes me wonder why people never get a knife of their own.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I just got this for work, tiny little knife but beautiful worth the 20 for it.

Boker Magnum Damascus
    Overall length: 5 1/2"
    Blade length: 2 3/8"
    Weight: 2.4 oz
    Made in China.

Great little knife.

Smile Defensive knives

Noting the increasing number of places where I can't carry my pistol, I decided to get an assisted open knife, and a harder cane. The knife I got is a CRKT Hissatsu and I really like it. It is all black, has a teflon coated 3 3/4" blade which is the same design as the larger samurai fixed blade knife. I do not want anyone to know I have it. I won't take it out to cut something for someone, or to try and impress them with it. This is the same philosophy I use toward my pistol, and which I feel anyone who carries a weapon of any kind should use, unless they are in uniform. The cane I use is an aluminum alloy. It would be quite adequate to break a collar bone if needed. I have been looking at lucite, hickory, and oak canes just to see if I want to make a change. A cane or walking stick is not only one of the most innocuous things you can have. It makes an excellent weapon, and looks invisible to most people for that purpose.

I carried an assisted opening S&W in Ohio (I loved the tanto blade) but in NC I carry a Benchmade Griptillian that is stretching the 3.5" blade limit, but I have gotten some odd looks when it has appeared for that type of thing.

My son is a bit younger that yours but I used it cut a balloon from one of my sons toys today and got an odd look.

My black knife looks more tactical than gentalmanly though.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    And in reality 99% of folks around here just don't care. It's expected. But if I ever hand someone a knife and tell them it's sharp they better believe me! The last guy that thought I was not serious nearly cut his finger to the bone with it.
    The knife I carried in college would nearly shut itself once the the lock was released and since it was sharp enough to shave with it was a bit of a mouse trap. A guy on my floor bled all over one of my towels and got 3 stitches from it.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    snip

I pulled out my 4" Spyderco Endura, snapping it open with a wrist flick on the draw, reversed it in my hand and offered it to him but first.

He took it and freed up the slide; all the time handling it like it was a venomous snake and would bite him any second.

snip

I carry the Endura as well, and occasionally an awesome old stainless CO7P police model (which my children have lovingly nicknamed "big scary knife") and it amuses me how every time either of them comes out and clicks open, most anyone observing either consciously or unconsciously leans away or takes a half-step back.

It goes down like this,
    someone: "Hey, anyone have a knife?"
    me: "Yeah, here, *gentle thumb hole open click*, *un-menacingly present butt-first*"
    everybody within eye-shot: "*lean back* Whoahhhhh..."
    me: "What?! You asked for a knife. *shrug*"

Kinda funny, but it does get old.

Good on the OP for having his knife as well as his witty smack down on the lady's knifeless friend ready for action.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links