Interesting experience at the store

This is a discussion on Interesting experience at the store within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I took our teenage son clothes shopping the other day. While we were there, he got another pair or sunglasses (keeps losing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting experience at the store

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

Interesting experience at the store

My wife and I took our teenage son clothes shopping the other day. While we were there, he got another pair or sunglasses (keeps losing or breaking them, grr). He wanted to wear them out, so he asks for scissors to cut the tag off. I flip out my "rainbow" finished Kershaw Leek and hand it to him. My wife rolls her eyes, expecting the salesladies to freak. Instead I got compliments on how pretty my knife was. On the way out I pointed out to my son how it was a good thing to have a "gentlemen's folder" type knife for polite society situations.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I did the same to cut a coupon out, sales clerk looked like he needed to clean himself. Sadly it was a leatherman folder with an under 3inch blade.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I learned the hard way to carry my Kershaw Leek for times like that. My Microtech OTF automatic tends to make people nervous
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I did the same to cut a coupon out, sales clerk looked like he needed to clean himself. Sadly it was a leatherman folder with an under 3inch blade.
    Shoulda gave him your best "Han Solo grin" and said "Geez, dude, you feeling ok?"

VIP Member
    As my dad told me when I was very young (5-6 yrs) as he gave me my first pocket knife, "A man isn't a man without a good knife in his pocket."
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I've done that a few times and always get the same remark

"Thats not legal in texas" (Smirk)

so I pull out my USB and measuring tape. :D

Better be prepared for what you carry.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I finished my BA late in life; one class I had to take to finish was an art history class. The prof used slides that were showing their age and frequently would jam up in the projector and he used a ~1" Swiss Army pen knife to pry them out.

One day he was having trouble freeing a slide and asked if anyone had a larger knife, as I was sitting right behind him and the projector I pulled out my 4" Spyderco Endura, snapping it open with a wrist flick on the draw, reversed it in my hand and offered it to him but first.

He took it and freed up the slide; all the time handling it like it was a venomous snake and would bite him any second. He handed it back and I closed it with another wrist flick and slid it back in my right front pocket.

He looked at me a little strangely the rest of the semester. I'm sure the knife and the handling along with the USMC "Devil Dog" tattoo on my right forearm had him wondering about me the rest of the semester.

Having seen most all the reactions you've mentioned at one time or other, my favorite happened just last month. As I entered our local bank, preoccupied with some papers, a paycheck, and in a hurry, I snapped open my Spyderco Endura, zipped open a couple of envelopes, laid it, and all papers on the counter. Raised my eyes, realized the lady teller had seen all this, thought "uh-oh!" , watched her smile, not blink a eyelash, and say "How can I help you?".
    I love a country bank.
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    As my dad told me when I was very young (5-6 yrs) as he gave me my first pocket knife, "A man isn't a man without a good knife in his pocket."
    Good to teach manners at a young age
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I need one of those gentalmen knives....

My CRKT or Spyderco can scare people....
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

LMAO... at a store one day the clerk asked if anyone had a "pocket knife" to cut something off of something we were getting (don't remember what). I pulled out mine and her response was a surprising "gee, you consider that a pocket knife .... I meant a little knife". I told her, it folds and fits in my pocket doesn't it ?

Her next response suprised me, she wanted to know where I got it because she was sure her husband would love one like it.

my favorite is when people are looking to cut something and you offer your blade and they see and still hunt for scissors. or if they use it they hand it back to you with two finger pinch at arms length lol
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    "Thats not legal in texas"
    Considering that the Texas statutory blade length limit is 5.5 inches, your knife must be impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Considering that the Texas statutory blade length limit is 5.5 inches, your knife must be impressive.
    Why thank you.... oh, you were talking about my knife......

I just recently starting carrying a knife and it is amazing at how often you need it on a daily basis.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    My wife and I took our teenage son clothes shopping the other day. While we were there, he got another pair or sunglasses (keeps losing or breaking them, grr). He wanted to wear them out, so he asks for scissors to cut the tag off. I flip out my "rainbow" finished Kershaw Leek and hand it to him. My wife rolls her eyes, expecting the salesladies to freak. Instead I got compliments on how pretty my knife was. On the way out I pointed out to my son how it was a good thing to have a "gentlemen's folder" type knife for polite society situations.
    Sounds like a little bit of jelousy on you wifes part

If you spend your day doing nothing, how do you know when you're done?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links