Question about Alabama fixed blade law

This is a discussion on Question about Alabama fixed blade law within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry an S&W HRT boot knife? blade is 4.75 inches here is a link: Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B Black HRT ...

Thread: Question about Alabama fixed blade law

Question about Alabama fixed blade law

Is it legal to carry an S&W HRT boot knife? blade is 4.75 inches

here is a link: Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B Black HRT Boot Knife: Home Improvement

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    Is it legal to carry an S&W HRT boot knife? blade is 4.75 inches

here is a link: Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B Black HRT Boot Knife: Home Improvement
    Here is what the law says and the case law decisions that affect it:

ALABAMA
    Title 13A. Criminal Code
    Chapter 11. Offenses Against Public Order and Safety
    Article 3. Offenses Relating to Firearms and Weapons
    Division 1. General Provisions.
    3A-11-50. Carrying concealed weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

A "bowie knife" ordinarily designates a long knife shaped like a dagger but having only one edge, and does not include a knife which opens and shuts and is not too large to be carried in a trouser's pocket as pocket knives are usually carried. Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985).

"Lock-blade" knife not included. - The "lock-blade" knife in this case was merely a type of pocket knife, the blade of which was capable of being locked open to prevent an accidental or unexpected folding of the blade. It does not fall within the statutory prohibition against carrying a concealed "bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description." Smelley v. State, 472 So. 2d 715 (Ala. Crim. App. 1985).
    My interpretation of the law would be that you could carry the knife you mention on your belt where it is visible. I would think that carrying it as a boot knife would fall inside the definition: "a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife" and would be illegal. I am not a lawyer, but I have discussed this aspect of Alabama law with several and this is the conclusion that was arrived at. My original question was about blade length and about auto knives, but we discussed most knife carry options.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I've read that law before. It's really confusing. Would an SDI be okay to carry? Also, what is a good folding knife that is legal to carry?

Go to handgunlaws.us and select Alabama. Scroll down and you will see the link to knife laws. Counties and towns have local laws.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks; I'll check it out.

Links