RAT (ESEE) Cutlery

This is a discussion on RAT (ESEE) Cutlery within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided I want a RAT product. I am leaning toward a RC-4, or a HEST. What are the advantages/disadvantages, differences of each? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAT (ESEE) Cutlery

RAT (ESEE) Cutlery

I have decided I want a RAT product. I am leaning toward a RC-4, or a HEST. What are the advantages/disadvantages, differences of each? I am getting money for a birthday upcoming. That will maybe up my budget considerably. Should I upgrade to a RC-5 or 6? Or are they simply too big and cumbersome, and I should stay with the HEST or RC-4? I am kind of a knife novice. I have had several folders from SOG, Cold Steel and last but not least Benchmade. I intend to use the RAT product attached or ina BOB/survival bag.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I just went through this dilemma last week....and went with a RAT-6 (6-inch)...wanted something similar. As a fan of serrated blades, I decided on a plain straight blade. It's easier to sharpen if you don't have the tools to sharpen serrated blades.

I also have a SOG SEAL Pup, SOG SEAL, couple of AK-47 bayonets (1 from Bosnia, 1 from Iraq, 1 from Afghanistan)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have a H.E.S.T. and an Izula. Both are great knives. If you lean towards the H.E.S.T. let me know I might be selling mine. I've used it just a few times to open some boxes.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

I have an Izula and i love it. i stripped all the black coating of it tonight. Its getting polished :)

ESEE (RAT) has a pretty good forum ( ESEE KNIVES (Formerly RAT Cutlery Company) - BladeForums.com ) with plenty of posts to help you decide.

When I went through a similar decision a few months ago, most recommended the RC-4 as a great 'all-around' first buy. Then I added an Izula a few days later. I've been pleased with both purchases.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new blade!

Anybody else???

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I intend to use the RAT product attached or ina BOB/survival bag.
    Attached to what? Your belt, or a bag? If you plan to carry it on your person, especially if you plan to carry it concealed, I'd say don't go any bigger than an RC-4. If it's going to be carried strictly in/on a bag, then one of the bigger models would be fine.

As far as the RC-4 vs. H.E.S.T., I think whether or not you plan to carry it concealed is important again. If not, then you'd be fine with either one. If so, the H.E.S.T. has too many notches and projections that could hang up on clothing, IMO

It wont be a concealed knife...strictly a BOB/survival knife. Attached to a MOLLE strap most likely.

Recently bought two more Kershaws...not here yet.
    One of these...
    http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CL-K405BLP
    and one of these...
    http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=KE-1840CKT
    ...both smooth blades.

Every knife collection should have a khukuri... ---Nepalese Khukuri House---The maker of genuine Gurkha kukri, khukuri, khukri, knife, knives, Kukris in Nepal.

I bought my first one last year.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a RC-3 RC-4 HEST and Izula. As for which one you should get I sat get both but if you cant afford both, I will say this. The HEST is nice but it does have a longer handle for the size of blade it has. Also the prybar does catch on things sometimes. I carry my RC-3 on my belt for EDC and the izula on my neck EDC. Nothing against the HEST but I would lean towards the RC-4.
    RAT RC-3 Don't leave home with out one!

On those occasions when I had to travel in hostile environments, and all I could manage to carry was a knife, I always defaulted to my RAT-7. I also especially like the exposed metal at the grip butt that would allow for some skull cracking if puño was the available mode of the moment.

Just bought an RC4 from knifeworks.com. It came new in box but the sheath was scratched and the knife had wear on the screws. I attempted to return it, but knifeworks gave me the runaround and finally told me, literally, to "f*** off !", so, I went straight to Jeff Randall and he got me the discount.

Anyways, the RC line has a strange feel in the hand, but Im sure they are fine. Just dont order from knifeworks.com

So where's the best place to buy one? I'm looking at the RC-3/ESEE-3.

Thanks,

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    So where's the best place to buy one? I'm looking at the RC-3/ESEE-3.

Thanks,

Holdcard
    Knifecenter.com has never treated me wrong. That's where I got my last few...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links