Playing it "safe"????

This is a discussion on Playing it "safe"???? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if you are in an area that tactical style knives or lock blades are illegal, do you carry a "regular" folding pocket knife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing it "safe"????

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Playing it "safe"????

Just wondering if you are in an area that tactical style knives or lock blades are illegal, do you carry a "regular" folding pocket knife to play it safe? And if so, what do you carry?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

I never knew the style of a knife made it illegal, but rather the blade length. For deep concealment, you can't beat a neck knife.
    Last edited by glockman10mm; March 9th, 2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Add on

I know switch blade knives are illegal most places for EDC. What is a lock blade knife?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I never knew the style of a knife made it illegal, but rather the blade length. For deep concealment, you can't beat a neck knife.
    glockman....from my understanding I thought some parts of the country you can't have assisted openning knifes and others you can't have a lock blade, etc..

Thanks for the advice.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    I know switch blade knives are illegal most places for EDC. What is a lock blade knife?
    The blade locks open
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Blade length is the deciding factor in my State along with no automatics. However, while the knives I carry can have a tactical usage and may look kind of tactical they are mainly for utility purpose and durable cutting tools.

For example, I have gotten away from tanto style blades because they are really kind of sucky as a piece of cutlery and several other blade designs are just as strong and can be used for penetration over a tanto blade.

I've seen clip point and sheepfoot blades penetrate a human skull just as effectively as a tanto as long as the knife is made from good quality steel and tempered appropriately.

Using my knife as a defensive weapon is way down in my tool box of tricks. I have never used a knife as a defensive weapon in my life, however, I have used a knife about a gazillion times to cut, open and pry on things.

Just about any high quality, strong durable knife which locks can be used in a pinch for defensive purposes. Just my theory on knives.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Pocketknives are legal to own in most countries, but they face legal restrictions on their use. While pocketknives are almost always designed as tools, they do have the potential to become weapons. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to conceal knives larger than a certain size, or with certain locking or opening mechanisms. They are often banned or heavily restricted in secure areas, such as schools and airports. Switchblades and other "auto-openers" are banned from interstate shipment by the U.S. Government and prohibited entirely in some states, although certain statutes allow an exception permitting ownership by the handicapped, military, and police.

It is illegal to carry knives in public in the United Kingdom without "good reason". This term is not defined, but examples of "religious duty", "national dress" and "requirement of employment or hobby" are given. It is up to a police officer's individual discretion, and ultimately a magistrate to decide whether or not the requirements of "good reason" are met.[16]. Folding knives with blades of 3 inches or less may be carried without needing to provide "good reason" so long as the blade is not capable of being locked in the open position. However, it is illegal to have the intention of using any object in public as a weapon, meaning that even a knife that is legal to carry without needing 'good reason' may still be found to be illegal if the police officer has grounds to suspect it will be used as a weapon.

There two links that tells more details in the US.
    State Knife Laws
    KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

I live in Texas and carry Cold Steel Voyager everyday. (4" blade, 9 1/4" full length).
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by rks2 View Post
    Pocketknives are legal to own in most countries, but they face legal restrictions on their use. While pocketknives are almost always designed as tools, they do have the potential to become weapons. In some jurisdictions it is illegal to conceal knives larger than a certain size, or with certain locking or opening mechanisms. They are often banned or heavily restricted in secure areas, such as schools and airports. Switchblades and other "auto-openers" are banned from interstate shipment by the U.S. Government and prohibited entirely in some states, although certain statutes allow an exception permitting ownership by the handicapped, military, and police.

It is illegal to carry knives in public in the United Kingdom without "good reason". This term is not defined, but examples of "religious duty", "national dress" and "requirement of employment or hobby" are given. It is up to a police officer's individual discretion, and ultimately a magistrate to decide whether or not the requirements of "good reason" are met.[16]. Folding knives with blades of 3 inches or less may be carried without needing to provide "good reason" so long as the blade is not capable of being locked in the open position. However, it is illegal to have the intention of using any object in public as a weapon, meaning that even a knife that is legal to carry without needing 'good reason' may still be found to be illegal if the police officer has grounds to suspect it will be used as a weapon.

There two links that tells more details in the US.
    State Knife Laws
    KNIFE LAWS of the 50 STATES - Introduction and LINKS

I live in Texas and carry Cold Steel Voyager everyday. (4" blade, 9 1/4" full length).
    that first link doesnt really tell the full law for texas. there are several more restrictions and it doesnt say anything about fixed blades.

Any lock blade is illegal in the city of San Antonio, but it is rarely enforced for the average Joe walking down the street and never enforced for tourist. They like their money.

assisted opening, lock type, and anything over 4 " are illegal here, EXCEPT when hunting or fishing the knife can be over 4" if carried in the open in a sheath.

So, I have one wicked pocket knife. Every time someone sees it they say "that can't be legal". LOL.. but it is.

In FL, you're good to go with knives, even a switch blade (with a CCW permit). Gotta love the GunShine State.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 10th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have carried "tactical" style folders for the last ten plus years. the first reason is because I think they look cooler...LOL The other is because they typically are more sturdy tools. I currently carry a Benchmade Vex. I have went as big as a Cold Steel Voyager Tanto. When I first carried a knife it was a Case three blade. Kind of a rite of passage towards manhood in my family and locale. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I carry a Micrtoech Ultratech or Scarab DE OTF automatic. But thankfully I am exempt from the strict laws of NYS.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    The blade locks open
    The blade in my Gerber multi tool locks open. I don't think that makes it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    The blade in my Gerber multi tool locks open. I don't think that makes it illegal.
    It does if your state prohibits locking blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links